World of Warcraft - Any fans of the games and/or lore?

The place to discuss your favorite toys (action figures, dolls, building blocks, etc.), board games, and video games, as well their related industries and related news.
Ares
Site Admin

World of Warcraft - Any fans of the games and/or lore?

Post by Ares »

Just curious. I've always been a fan of the game's lore, and I've played the game for a while (Human Monk), and had some fun with it. Curious if anyone else here has ever played it, and what their thoughts are regarding recent developments in the game and world.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Chris Brady

Re: World of Warcraft - Any fans of the games and/or lore?

Post by Chris Brady »

I was in since the original RTS games, and I know what they changed. Like Deathwing, who was originally just a Hero Unit that the orcs had. They caught black dragon and bolted plates of mithral on his body which drove him mad. That's it. But yeah, I've got most of the tidbits from the game (not the novels or comics) memorized.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I love the game lore(i even think the Movie did a decent job with it),but haven't played the game any....
Shock

Post by Shock »

I played the hell out of Warcraft 1, 2 and 3 but I couldn't get into World of Warcraft. I much prefer the RTS games
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Played a lot of the first two RTSes and enjoyed them, although as a general rule I’m not fond of the genre. When the MMORPG was originally released I dabbled a little, but was busy with a new marriage, a rapid string of promotions and reassignments, then kids... and just never found time to get into it the way my single and/or childless friends did.

I remember getting both versions of the 3e and 3.5e D&D sourcebooks. Nice setting and solid background material that struck a good balance between Tolkien tropes, D&D-isms, and high fantasy.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Huge fan of the lore for it. I especially like the added depth given to the Orcs. Making them a tribal-esque society with shamanistic traditions is more interesting to me than your standard CHAOTIC EVIL RAGE MONSTERS. The creation lore is also really interesting and I like how the dragons embody important aspects of the world.

I really liked Warcraft 1 - 3 (Frozen Throne) and found WoW kind of fun, but never really stuck with it. MMOs aren't really my thing, I'm not a fan of monthly subscriptions and everyone I knew was way higher level than me, so I didn't really get to play with others.
Formerly luketheduke86
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Big fan of the lore and ive even run and played a WOW based RPG pnp style. Also play in game as well and have adopted some of the games lore and fluff for my D&D worlds.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Not sure if I'd call myself a 'fan' of WoW. Maybe more of a person that finds it all too easy to lose themselves in times of stress, with various levels of relapse?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.