Your Favorite Crossovers - Video Game edition

The place to discuss your favorite toys (action figures, dolls, building blocks, etc.), board games, and video games, as well their related industries and related news.
Ares
Site Admin

Your Favorite Crossovers - Video Game edition

Post by Ares »

So like I said here (and this is the last of these threads, I promise), I'm a crossover junkie. I love seeing characters interact in ways they normally wouldn't be able to, and video games often seem more willing to allow their characters to crossover than other media. The downside is you rarely get any of the more quiet moments of character interaction, or plenty of story, but you'll often at least see characters getting together that otherwise wouldn't.

The Marvel vs Capcom series is a good example, where two things that would seem ludicrous wind up being a lot of fun. Seeing Ryu take on Captain America, Iron Man fighting Megaman and the like make for a bit of nerd fun.

The Super Robot Wars franchise has managed to one-up that by not only having virtually every giant robot franchise ever interact, but they will often weave an incredible story into the game as well, taking aspects from different franchises, building missions around particular moments from different shows, it's all pretty amazing from what I've been able to find out.

There was a pretty cool Namco X Capcom game years back that I managed to find a translated script for, and it actually reads like a damned awesome crossover novel. Makes me wish we'd see more game script translations like this.

LEGO Dimensions managed to have a fun story that was just nuts with the crossover aspect, having Batman, Gandalf and WyldeStyle travel the multiverse and team up with everyone from The Doctor to Scooby-Doo to Harry Potter to the A-Team. It's amazing what franchises LEGO got to pull into this, and it makes me really, REALLY hope the game hasn't been canceled.

Disney Infinity, a game that WAS eventually canceled, was likewise a lot of fun. What other games allow you to have Mickey Mouse, Spider-Man and Luke Skywalker fight an army of robots lead by Syndrome, Ultron and Darth Vader?

So what are some of your favorite crossovers in video games? Why did you like them? What where your favorite moments? And what characters / franchises would you like to see crossover in the future?
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
MissRo

Re: Your Favorite Crossovers - Video Game edition

Post by MissRo »

I love crossovers in general. I remember playing the original Marvel Versus Capcom and being blown away, and getting my ass handed to me by Onslaught. XD

Also, the original AVP games were awesome.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Not that there is any real story to it, but the Super Smash Bros. series will always rank pretty high with me. Each character is interesting a different to play, players of any skill level can comfortably play, and the chaos of the characters and items make it blast to play to with friends on the couch.
Formerly luketheduke86
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I was kind of disappointed the last version of Smash didn't have something akin to the Subspace Emissary mode that actually had a story mode, which while not the best, was entertaining.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Ares wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:08 pm I was kind of disappointed the last version of Smash didn't have something akin to the Subspace Emissary mode that actually had a story mode, which while not the best, was entertaining.
Yea, that was fun mode to play. I'm hoping if/when they make a Smash Bros for the Switch they'll include something like that.
Formerly luketheduke86
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Just to showcase what a nutjob I am, I've got a list of video game crossovers that I update regularly. Basically, the idea is that "if all crossovers are equal, then how far does the chain stretch". It's actually pretty interesting to see how many degrees of separation some franchises have, either actually having interacted or being apart by several games. Feel free to look and comment, even recommend crossovers that I missed, but fair warning: there be dragons.

KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

The Project X Zone series is a sort of sequel to Namco X Capcom, featuring characters from Namco, Capcom, AND Sega!
Ken

Post by Ken »

I only recently learned of Tatsunoko vs Capcom. I'm not much of a video game guy, but since my family has a Wii, I've been thinking about getting Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Ultimate All-Star. This is mostly because I'm just enough of a Science Ninja Team Gatchaman fan that having a game with Ken the Eagle and Jun the Swallow (and Joe the Condor?) in it is a real temptation.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ken wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:02 pm I only recently learned of Tatsunoko vs Capcom. I'm not much of a video game guy, but since my family has a Wii, I've been thinking about getting Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Ultimate All-Star. This is mostly because I'm just enough of a Science Ninja Team Gatchaman fan that having a game with Ken the Eagle and Jun the Swallow (and Joe the Condor?) in it is a real temptation.
And I opened a copy of Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Ultimate All-Star earlier today, from my brother.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Has anyone here ever played a 2-3DS game called Pokemon Conquest?....personally i thought it would be absolute garbage,but is suprisingly good.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

I'm actually playing a pokemon trainer in the Merge universe. Good fun. :twisted:
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ken wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:38 am
Ken wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:02 pm I only recently learned of Tatsunoko vs Capcom. I'm not much of a video game guy, but since my family has a Wii, I've been thinking about getting Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Ultimate All-Star. This is mostly because I'm just enough of a Science Ninja Team Gatchaman fan that having a game with Ken the Eagle and Jun the Swallow (and Joe the Condor?) in it is a real temptation.
And I opened a copy of Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Ultimate All-Star earlier today, from my brother.
I've decided the two characters that should have been included in this game who weren't were Ken Masters from Street Fighter and Ryu Nakanishi (G-5) from Science Ninja Team Gatchaman. Just so we could have Ken and Ryu vs Ryu and Ken.

Doctor Vile

Post by Doctor Vile »

The latest Assassins Creed https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin% ... ed_Origins had a neat crossover with Final Fantasy XV https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XV.

Links for Ken.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

There's a new Shonen Jump Crossover called Jump Force coming out next year:

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKg3cGVNVvo&t=2s

Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-mEzQ4QQb8

The Death Note appearance at the end of the trailer gives me hope of a large roster from multiple sources. Be cool if they included some characters from My Hero Academia, Ruroni Kenshin, Fist of the Northstar, etc.

Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

My brother watched the segment of that of the E3 coverage, sounds like there is a chance other Shonen Jump characters could be in it and the ones shown in the teaser trailer are just those they have confirmed so far.