Star Wars: The Old Republic

The place to discuss your favorite toys (action figures, dolls, building blocks, etc.), board games, and video games, as well their related industries and related news.
CTPhipps

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Post by CTPhipps »

So, what do you think of it?

I just finished Knights of the Fallen Empire to get caught up to the Eternal Throne.

http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogsp ... ts-of.html
Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, Lucifer's Star, Space Academy Dropouts, and The Rules of Supervillainy
catsi563

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Post by catsi563 »

I've thoroughly enjoyed SWTOR its got a fully immersive and deep story with compelling characters and to this date holds the Guinness world record for largest voice cast for a Video Game.

The character classes are quick and easy to learn, the game if you're a fan of classic WOW is very similar and thus easy to get into with little in the way of difficult mechanics to master.

Plenty of content both pre mid and end game to work through especially if you're a sub and lvl 70 where you now gain access to the Galactic Command system. The system enables you to replay chapters from KOTFE and KOTET as well as planetary missions, flash points PVP and my personal favorite Galactic Star Fighter.

Character classes include the Jedi Knight and Consular, the Sith Warrior and Inquisitor, Bounty Hunters, Imperial Agents, Republic Troopers and Smugglers. All are fun and the stories more then worth it. they also have sub classes such as the assassin, sage, Sentinel, and Mercenary, and commando and gunslinger.

All classes and stories have 5 companions and a ship droid that join you on your journey at various points and advance the stories in their own way including romance options. Every class also gets a ship that's era appropriate allowing you to travel the galaxy and engage in space battles in an on the rails style mission.

I myself am on the following servers Harbinger, The Ebon Hawk, Shadowlands and a couple others. but there are more and have European servers as well.

games an easy 13-15 dollars a month for a sub easy to afford and I do recommend subbing. the F2P model is good but limited in the access to services. while full access to the story up to lvl 65 is available some content is not after 65.

The game has a cartel market that has many neat armor sets and weapons, vehicles and mounts, pets and decorations, and such. CCs can be brought through a real world market via their web site here
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
CTPhipps

Post by CTPhipps »

Beautiful summary there.
Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, Lucifer's Star, Space Academy Dropouts, and The Rules of Supervillainy
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

How playable is it if I want to pretend it is a single player game?
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

danelsan wrote:How playable is it if I want to pretend it is a single player game?
Very playable as a single player you can do 99.9% of the content solo now. they have single player modes for most of the flashpoints that are part of the main storyline and the companions have an influence system that ranges from rank 1 to rank 50. a lvl 25 comp can basically heal tank or dps you through most solo content with little difficulty as long as you know your skills and rotation.

The remaining flashpoints, uprisings, and raids do requires teams and GSF and PVP are obviously team oriented.

Game really does imo go out of its way to make you feel like the big damned hero.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Catsi stories
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

I haven't played it since it first came out (had to stop because of the at the time monthly subscription cost), but I did really like the quests and dialogue options.

Regardless of my brief time playing, I do fondly remember one part in the bounty hunter storyline. When you track this bounty down, he starts going on about being a quick draw and how he's a fantastic duelist. So you're given several options: a diplomacy type response, fighting him, or just drawing your gun a shooting him. Well being a badass Chiss Bounty Hunter I really only had one option... :lol:
Formerly luketheduke86
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Oh yeah to this day I can never resist shooting the poor schmuck.

Nor can I resist beating the snob out of the duke on alderan.

Catsi stories
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

just FYI the War for Iokath content is coming out tomorrow.

:arrow: Edit NM found out theyre delaying a week to the 18th to clean things up

Catsi stories
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

For anyone interested major changes are coming to SWTOR. the devs posted their roadmap and over the next couple months we will see server merges, improvements to GSF and some new chapters as well as returning companions.

Some exiting times coming for those of us that play. :D

Catsi stories
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Traitor among the Chiss was just released along with a new GSF map over Iokath whole bunch of positive changes in SWTOR.

Catsi stories
slade the sniper

Post by slade the sniper »

I truly love the base game. The character classes are very different, have different game play and each of the choices you make has a definite effect on the end game (especially for the Jedi Consular).
The base game with it's 8 classes is amazing...

However, IMO there is not really an end game. The PvP is lackluster, the expansions are the same for both Republic and Empire and underwhelming.

I prefer to see SWOTOR as KOTOR III. The multiplayer is not really required, and if you do want to run through the entire game with a pal in the same faction...it really does add to the experience as you can see and interact with so much more of the setting.

As a game, I give it 4.5 out of 5...as an MMO, I give it a 2 out of 5.

-STS