Favorite Bad Movie and why

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Ken

Re: Favorite Bad Movie and why

Post by Ken »

The discussion about "Legends of Sleepy Hollow" in Jab's thread led me to do some poking around a YouTube.

Apparently, Tim Burton's "Sleepy Hollow" (1999) is considered to be a bad movie, but again, I love it. I know it's only barely connected to Irving's story and all, but as a gothic horror/thriller I thought it was a lot of fun.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

I didn't like it when it came out, but it grew on me. I look at it now kinda like a Hammer movie. Same basic story but some things are changed around.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ken wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:44 pm The discussion about "Legends of Sleepy Hollow" in Jab's thread led me to do some poking around a YouTube.

Apparently, Tim Burton's "Sleepy Hollow" (1999) is considered to be a bad movie, but again, I love it. I know it's only barely connected to Irving's story and all, but as a gothic horror/thriller I thought it was a lot of fun.
Burton's Sleepy Hollow was the first movie i took my future wife to when it first hit theater's.Walken's Horseman interpretation Scared the Crap right out of my,so, naturally my Date spent the whole trip back to her house(we ate before the Movie,as we both agreed 30 buck's for two large soda's & a mega-bag of Popcorn is too expensive) trying her Darndest to Scare the Crap outta me.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

The Beastmaster
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Chris Brady wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:05 pm The Beastmaster
Which one or are you talking about the TV Series?
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Movie. It's a bad movie, but I love it!
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Chris Brady wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:08 pm Movie. It's a bad movie, but I love it!
I don't know...The first one was horribly wtitten,but had some rather nice Performances by both Mark Singer (totally underutilized actor,imho) and Tony Todd(in technically his first movie apperance,unless you count TV mini-series).It was after that that the acting went downhill(but for some reason,the Scripts got better :?)...
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:19 pm
Chris Brady wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:08 pm Movie. It's a bad movie, but I love it!
I don't know...The first one was horribly wtitten,but had some rather nice Performances by both Mark Singer (totally underutilized actor,imho) and Tony Todd(in technically his first movie apperance,unless you count TV mini-series).It was after that that the acting went downhill(but for some reason,the Scripts got better :?)...
Are you claiming it's a GOOD film??? Damn. Uh... I got nothing. Army of Darkness? Is that considered bad?
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Chris Brady wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:32 pm
Are you claiming it's a GOOD film??? Damn. Uh... I got nothing. Army of Darkness? Is that considered bad?
Like we've been saying on this thread:It all depends on what your term for "Bad Movie" is...
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:49 pm
Like we've been saying on this thread:It all depends on what your term for "Bad Movie" is...
That doesn't help anyone! :lol: I don't consider any film I like a 'bad' film! :D If it's bad, I don't like it. But I'd need to know what criteria there is for a movie to be bad, but good.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:44 pm "ah....that one had potential"

I actually had sort of an idea for post WWII Defenders of the Earth campaign to sort of set up a JLU like roster of pulp era heroes which I know is on Ares' Christmas list.

And the idea of the Rocketeer complaining to his girlfriend about the Rocket Man serials having ripped him off.
You sir. I'll have two of what you're selling.

Actually, it's hilarious you say that, because at this very moment, at my desk I have a copy of "The Sinister Shadow" by Kenneth Robeson, an official novel that teams up Doc Savage and The Shadow.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Chris Brady wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:55 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:49 pm

That doesn't help anyone! :lol: I don't consider any film I like a 'bad' film! :D If it's bad, I don't like it. But I'd need to know what criteria there is for a movie to be bad, but good.
Well in that case,i'll give you a short list to awnser.If half of them are yes,then it's a 'So Bad,it's Good' Movie:
1) Does said movie star a well-known but small-time Actor/Actress(or TV Star) in the Central role?
2) Do you have to use Google-fu to locate other works of said Star?
3) Is the Movie itself from the early-mid 80's/90's?
4) Is the Movie an Obvious cash-in to a more financially sound Movie?
5) Can you follow the story without needing to re-wind/watch it?
6) Is the main villian in said Movie from either a popular TV show or him/herself a B-movie star?
7) Does said Movie set-up a sequle(?) that was never made?
8) Is it Produced by Sci-fi?
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

So both Army of Darkness AND Beastmaster applies for at least 50% of that criteria. My choices stand. :D
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Ares wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:12 pm

I actually had sort of an idea for post WWII Defenders of the Earth campaign to sort of set up a JLU like roster of pulp era heroes which I know is on Ares' Christmas list.

And the idea of the Rocketeer complaining to his girlfriend about the Rocket Man serials having ripped him off.

Actually, it's hilarious you say that, because at this very moment, at my desk I have a copy of "The Sinister Shadow" by Kenneth Robeson, an official novel that teams up Doc Savage and The Shadow.

....what would you say to one of Prince Thun's descendants being Lion-O?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:49 pm
Ares wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:12 pm

....what would you say to one of Prince Thun's descendants being Lion-O?

While we're at it, eventually Richard Wentworth (aka The Spider) had his identity discovered, so he and his lovely lady Nita had to fake their deaths and disappear. They settled down, bought a house, and changed their last name to Fitzpatrick, a nod to their friend Stanley Kirkpatrick. They had a daughter named Mary, whom they trained to take care of herself, and she inherited a bit of the psychic premonition of danger her mother had. Mary met this nice young man named Richard Parker. The former Wentworth lived long enough to see the birth of his grandson Peter, before he and Nita both died peacefully after a life of constant adventure, confident their children and grandchildren were destined for a completely normal life.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.