Favorite Bad Movie and why

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
MacynSnow

Favorite Bad Movie and why

Post by MacynSnow »

The top is fairly simple,so i'll go first...

Modern:Sharknado (series)=To me,this series emptomises the definition of "Bad late-night movie",from the cheesy acting to the needless Cameo death's(Whil Wheaton's being a personal fav)...

Classic:Plan 9 from Outer Space=This was my first exposure to the term 'Cheescake' as i instantly fell in 'love' with the Female Zombie(the late,great Maila Nurmi(aka:Vampira)),but the Movie itself was one of the worst thing's Ed Wood ever wrote,Imho...
Ken

Re: Favorite Bad Movie and why

Post by Ken »

I used to play Plan 9 every year at my Halloween parties. I should find it on DVD.

The Chase, with Charlie Sheen and Kristy Swanson, is ridiculously dumb. But I still have a copy.

It's difficult. A "bad movie" is really kind of a subjective thing. I love Viva Las Vegas, but I think of it as a bad movie with two incredibly charismatic leads that make it watchable. But a true Elvis fan might just think it's great.

Clue, Murder by Death, the Cheap Detective are all comedies that are sending up old mystery movies. I love them, but they aren't great cinema. But I don't know if the world at large considers them "bad movies". Reminds me, I need to find a copy of Fatal Instinct (1993).

Oh, and Commando. It's an over the top Arnie picture. I know it by heart, but I'll still stop and watch it when I find it channel surfing.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

there's degrees of bad movies. I mean, I'd honestly say Murder By Death is a pretty good movie. Same for Clue and The Cheap Detective. They're not as good as Murder By Death....glad someone else likes those movies too.

That's got me wanting to check the star ratings in my trusty Movies On TV and Videocassette Guide that I got waaaaay back in the 90s, and may have helped kick off my movie love, to see what those movies got.

out of 4 stars

Murder By Death: 3 and 1/2 stars

Clue: 1 and 1/2 stars

The Cheap Detective: 2 and 1/2 stars

For me, it has to be something truly spectacular to be what I'd say is a bad movie. Like something so bizarre and lacking in so much sense from a creative and technical standpoint but still manages to engage and be entertaining.

so my part... The Room.

Someone was going to say it....and after having finally watched it a year or so back....wow.....just wow. If I ever feel down and need a laugh, The Room it is.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

also yes, I love Fatal Instinct. damn Sean Young was hot in that.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:21 pm also yes, I love Fatal Instinct. damn Sean Young was hot in that.
I perfer my "Cheescake" to be more....Implied than outright stated.

Which is why i consider my TV wifus being Vampira,Morticia Addams and Lily Munster...I originally considered Cousin Marolyne,but i think she'd be more "Practice Girlfriend" than Wifu material... :?
Ken

Post by Ken »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:02 pm I perfer my "Cheescake" to be more....Implied than outright stated.

Which is why i consider my TV wifus being Vampira, Morticia Addams and Lily Munster
Vampira and Morticia are merely implied....????

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:02 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:21 pm also yes, I love Fatal Instinct. damn Sean Young was hot in that.
I perfer my "Cheescake" to be more....Implied than outright stated.

Which is why i consider my TV wifus being Vampira,Morticia Addams and Lily Munster...I originally considered Cousin Marolyne,but i think she'd be more "Practice Girlfriend" than Wifu material... :?
honorable men can differ :D
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ken wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:58 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:02 pm I perfer my "Cheescake" to be more....Implied than outright stated.

Which is why i consider my TV wifus being Vampira, Morticia Addams and Lily Munster
Vampira and Morticia are merely implied....????
You never actually Hear or see anything Overt,as it's all subtext and subtlity.If you watch The Vampira Show and both Seasons of The Addams Family,you never actually See a whole lot of skin,just enough to keep you intrested,while Elvira had too much 'opened up for viewing' IMO. With Vampira,she mentioned(in the show,no less!) that she had several boyfriend's whom she "Enjoyed Immensely".Morticia and Gomez,constantly implied that they had a VERY active sex-life and were a very loving Couple(they even had another kid in either Season 2 or Addams Family Values named Pubert)
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

What is and isn't a bad movie for me is kind of warped, since I enjoy everything from old film serials to 50s B-movies to films of the modern era. I also watched a LOT of Mystery Science Theater 3000, so a lot of bad movies I might have otherwise seen on my own have these three funny guys making fun of the movie and making it entertaining.

Plus my favorite movie of all time is The Princess Bride, and Big Trouble in Little China is in my top 5.

When it comes to being a bad movie for me, it's more about plot lines that don't make sense, poor humor and acting, and how much a film might mistreat it's source material. So I think Clue is a perfectly fine movie, for instance.

I'd have to think hard about a non MST3K "bad movie" that I really enjoy while acknowledging that it's crap.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I'm old. There are a number of bad movies I'd seen before they got the MST3K treatment. Like the Spanish super hero extravaganza Supersonic Man.

FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

The Last Dragon would probably be my pick of "favorite bad movie". I mean, you've got to love the chutzpah of a movie that's willing to give you a black protagonist, Leroy Green aka Bruce Leroy, who wants to be oriental, much to the bafflement of his family, and gets into martial arts fights with the chief villain's henchman, Sho'nuff, "The Shogun of Harlem", the actual primary villain being a video arcade mogul who wants to kidnap a video host (who is Bruce Leroy's love interest) to help advance the career of his main squeeze, who wants to be a star but lacks the talent. The acting is wooden (they cast Taimak as the lead solely for his martial arts skills and it shows), the fighting gets pretty ridiculous, and there's an inexplicable music video in the middle. Well worth watching in my opinion, but not a good movie by any objective measure.

The Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Crt4S1IZM
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

I don't think it's a bad movie, but one of my favorite movies is Frequencies, which is something that still puzzles me. This movie doesn't do anything really innovative, the story is pretty simple and it really feels like a tiem travelling fairy tale. Yet, it manages to top of any other time-travelling movie I can think of except the Back to the Future series.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Kung Fury, I should hate it to the core of my being. It is so far off what I would say is. passable for even a D movie.
Older film would have to be The Being...oh it is so bad..
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Planet of Dinosaurs
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Star Crash 1(only reason you watch it is for Caroline Munroe) and Star Crash 2(you want bad,i dare you to sit through all this one)