Aquaman!!

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
catsi563

Re: Aquaman!!

Post by catsi563 »

haven't seen it yet on Tuesday Christmas day I will. A couple of friends whose tastes run similar to mine have both positively reviewed and enjoyed it. Also word of mouth post release is very positive as well
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Off to see it this evening !
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Now that I've seen it, I have to admit to understanding the comment about Aquaman being the DCEU version of the MCU Thor...

A lot of good visuals, but this almost felt more like a MCU movie than a DCEU movie. It does have its flaws, a number of them in fact, but overall I enjoyed it. Ocean Master was a neat concept, Blank Manta's helmet actually has an explanation to look that goofy.

I won't get into the things I liked less as they're a little too spoilery for now. But overall, decent film.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Was going to see it Sunday, but when we arrived, it was sold out!!!
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Wow. Aquaman carrying the DCEU. Who'dathunkit ?

Couple of moments where I found him more super than Cavill's Superman. They tried to address that in the JLA movie, but I found superman's concern for civilians tacked on.

Also, even though it was something of an origin story, it was interesting that they set if after the JLA movie.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

This is such a weird time to be a superhero fan.

If you had told me 20 years ago I'd be seeing movies where Rocket Raccoon and Groot are not only regulars, but popular, I'd have laughed. If you'd told me I'd see a film where Ego the Living Planet was the villain, I'd have been incredulous.

If you had told me, at any point in my life, that there'd be a time where Wonder Woman and Aquaman had their own movies and were more critically acclaimed than a movie featuring the first big screen meeting of Batman and Superman, I wouldn't believe it.

I mean, for the first time ever, Aquaman is going "Stand back Superman, Batman. I've got this."

If the comics themselves weren't such a mess, creatively and financially, this would be pretty much the best time every to be a superhero fan.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Saw it and I was BLOWN AWAY. the critics were right its a mess, but its an absolutely GLORIOUS mess that you just cant take your eyes off of, great pacing and over the top action combined with BEAUTIFUL backgrounds and animations. Acting was no where near as bad as people make it out to be Jasons no clark gable but hes solid and strong in the role hes given, and the supporting cast just does a great job. They even take shots at some of the cultural jokes that aquaman had become and roll with them and get a good laugh with some while making others epic

Highly reccomend this movie and cant wait to get it on DVD

Quick edit its already surpassed half a billion at the box office and is set to push records for the holiday season shy of anything Star wars
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Ares wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:34 pm This is such a weird time to be a superhero fan.

If you had told me 20 years ago I'd be seeing movies where Rocket Raccoon and Groot are not only regulars, but popular, I'd have laughed. If you'd told me I'd see a film where Ego the Living Planet was the villain, I'd have been incredulous.

If you had told me, at any point in my life, that there'd be a time where Wonder Woman and Aquaman had their own movies and were more critically acclaimed than a movie featuring the first big screen meeting of Batman and Superman, I wouldn't believe it.

I mean, for the first time ever, Aquaman is going "Stand back Superman, Batman. I've got this."

If the comics themselves weren't such a mess, creatively and financially, this would be pretty much the best time every to be a superhero fan.
Pretty sure we caught a glimpse of Skartaris too of all places in this movie as well.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Skataris, in the comics, had been an Atlantean colony, so, sure, why not.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

I thought it was okay. It was a very pretty movie and there were legitimately good moments, but there was a lot of meh thrown in too. I'd give it two and a half out of five, putting it on par with Wonder Woman and Black Panther as movies that are good, but really overhyped.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

As a life long Aquaman fam I'd give 4 out of 5 stars, but I'm slightly biased. That said though I enjoyed it much more than I did Justice League.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Ken

Post by Ken »

Saw it back on the 6th. It was AWESOME!!!!

Gabriel Herrol

Post by Gabriel Herrol »

It is the best DC'verse movie I ever seen so far. I liked it so much that I went to see it 3 times! The last movie I liked enough to go see it twice in a row was Alpha and before that was Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales.
Haven't you lot ever seen a feller with an armload of woman before?
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

I watched it a couple of days ago and I'm not sure what to make of it.

Some people said that Aquaman is a movie looking for its own identity, which might be true, but I think that in doing so it achieved a rather good balance. The general look and feel is much more Marvel than DC, but it manages to stay mostly consistent (the only WTF moment was the scene with the statues in Sicily) and the humor -- albeit very ham-fisted -- didn't ruin so many scenes as it did in Doctor Strange.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Woodclaw wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:44 pm I watched it a couple of days ago and I'm not sure what to make of it.

Some people said that Aquaman is a movie looking for its own identity, which might be true, but I think that in doing so it achieved a rather good balance. The general look and feel is much more Marvel than DC, but it manages to stay mostly consistent (the only WTF moment was the scene with the statues in Sicily) and the humor -- albeit very ham-fisted -- didn't ruin so many scenes as it did in Doctor Strange.
Did you have fun?

I haven't seen it yet.