Aquaman!!

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Aquaman!!

Post by Ares »

Yojimbo wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:39 pm
Ares wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:59 pm I know, right? Maybe if this does well, we'll get more "silly" villains on screen. I just hope they actually call him Black Manta, I'm tired of the lack of superhero names in superhero films.
I don't know why Black Manta is a "silly" villain. He killed Aquababy. That's like Joker-level street cred.

Wait, maybe the clue is in the word "Aquababy." That's hardly Black Manta's fault, though!
His name is Black Manta, he goes around with a giant clam on his head with two big red eyes painted on the front, and is an underwater pirate. And he's an Aquaman villain. Most people would look at that and see "silly".

Meanwhile you and I know that "silly" code names and costume designs are part and parcel of the superhero source material, and in no way makes Manta or similar villains less of a threat or less interesting. If we get a faithful adaptation of Black Manta, maybe we'll get more of the same.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ares wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:56 pm
catsi563 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:06 pm
Batgirl III wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:01 pm
Is this real life?
Or is it just Fantasy? :lol:
I feel like I'm caught in a landslide.
No escape from Hollywood banality.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Not worthy of the wit that is Batgirl III !

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

also:
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:34 pm The Batman has the horrible luck of having the executives at Warner Bros. absolutely terrified of ever giving him a live-action television series.
Actually, it's a bit (but not much) deeper than that. Except for ONE director and script writer don't actually get Batman. They all assume that Batman is the persona, the mask, but it's not. Bruce Wayne is the mask he wears because he has to. As for a live action TV show, the Bat has the tendency to dominate and sadly Gotham would have suffered hard because of it, if and when he shows up.

Then again, Gotham is a flawed premise to begin with. If the GCPD have any real victories, then Batman was never necessary. But if they're all Pyrrhic you lose the audience rather quickly. So you need to make the show about the villains, and nothing else.

Oh, right. On topic: I like the trailer, I hope the rest of the movie remains as fun. I like the idea of Aquaman being Brocidon of The Brocean.
Beleriphon

Post by Beleriphon »

Ares wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:59 pmHis name is Black Manta, he goes around with a giant clam on his head with two big red eyes painted on the front, and is an underwater pirate. And he's an Aquaman villain. Most people would look at that and see "silly".
If they can make Black Manta half as awesome as he is in the newish run of Aquaman then I'm sold.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Ares wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:59 pm
Yojimbo wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:39 pm
Ares wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:59 pm I know, right? Maybe if this does well, we'll get more "silly" villains on screen. I just hope they actually call him Black Manta, I'm tired of the lack of superhero names in superhero films.
I don't know why Black Manta is a "silly" villain. He killed Aquababy. That's like Joker-level street cred.

Wait, maybe the clue is in the word "Aquababy." That's hardly Black Manta's fault, though!
His name is Black Manta, he goes around with a giant clam on his head with two big red eyes painted on the front, and is an underwater pirate. And he's an Aquaman villain. Most people would look at that and see "silly".
Until he stats shooting eye lasers at you.

If there's anything I've learned from the Venture Bros, it's that having to deal a bunch of pissed-off madmen with exotic weapons, powers, and costumes run around without any rhyme or reason is a very frightening thing to imagine.

Even the low PL joke villians are probably more than capable of seriously wounding or worse to your average beat patrolman.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Voltron64 wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:02 pmEven the low PL joke villians are probably more than capable of seriously wounding or worse to your average beat patrolman.
This is why, although the Joker isn't much of a physical threat to Batman, most cops still can't handle him.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Two people quote me, both of them somehow stop right before the paragraph were I make it clear that Manta and his ilk are only really jokes to non-comic fans, who KNOW the dude is a baby killing, murderous pirate with a super suit that has eye lasers. :D
Ares wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:59 pm His name is Black Manta, he goes around with a giant clam on his head with two big red eyes painted on the front, and is an underwater pirate. And he's an Aquaman villain. Most people would look at that and see "silly".

Meanwhile you and I know that "silly" code names and costume designs are part and parcel of the superhero source material, and in no way makes Manta or similar villains less of a threat or less interesting. If we get a faithful adaptation of Black Manta, maybe we'll get more of the same.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I didn't realize Aquaman was basically EXACTLY "MCU Thor" in a different world. They're basically doing the same "acts like a boisterous, smart-ass, normal guy to play off how silly this potentially is" as Thor did in the MCU movies. It's a good mix- laugh off the silliness and get people to accept it. Sort of like how Grumpy Dwarf was in Snow White- ripping on everything and being a cynic in a flowery, happy world, so that the cynics could find something to enjoy, too.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Brand new trailer just popped for Aquaman and its even more action packed

really looking forward to this :)
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Indeed. Looks like fun and they get him in the classic costume. I mean, holy moly. That might be the most comic accurate costume since Christopher Reeves Superman.

They only thing I worry about is that the guys running in the armor look like guys awkwardly running in heavy armor, as opposed to super soldiers in powered armor. Though it'd be interesting if that's actually a plot point, that the armor works best in water and is slow/cumbersome on land.

Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Shades of Uncharted in the beginning with Arthur and Mera in the ruins, enjoyed that.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Postivie reviews abound RT has Aquaman at a 78% positive rating and climbing at last check.

Reviewers all seem to share a simialr feeling, that the movie yes has some flaws but apparently the whole combo of the movie including the flaws jsut comes together so well that you cant help but love it. really great action, SFX character and plot development come together in a solid whole of a movie.

also a mid credits scene as well.

Really looking forwards to this gonna catch it Christmas day if possible.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

alright, maybe we got DC on track. That'd be great.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

So I saw it, anybody else?