Captain Marvel trailer(original Captain Marvel)

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Voltron64

Re: Captain Marvel trailer(original Captain Marvel)

Post by Voltron64 »

New Trailer

MY NAME IS, HUH?

MY NAME IS, WHAT?

MY NAME IS, WHO?

MY NAME IS
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Voltron64 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:12 pm New Trailer

MY NAME IS, HUH?

MY NAME IS, WHAT?

MY NAME IS, WHO?

MY NAME IS
The on DC hero who can't say it. :)

It looks fun!
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

MY NAME IS, HUH?

MY NAME IS, WHAT?

MY NAME IS, WHO?

MY NAME IS
Wow. Each trailer just gets worse and worse.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Ares wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:59 am

MY NAME IS, HUH?

MY NAME IS, WHAT?

MY NAME IS, WHO?

MY NAME IS
Spoilsport :roll:
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Voltron64 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:41 pm

MY NAME IS, HUH?

MY NAME IS, WHAT?

MY NAME IS, WHO?

MY NAME IS
I thought you were "officially hootless" when it came to my opinion of the film?

It doesn't bother me that you're excited for the movie. If you watch the film and enjoy it, all it means is that you're closer to the target audience than I am, and more power to you.

But if I see something that looks like a turd and smells like a turd, I'm going to call it a turd. And every Shazam trailer I've seen has been a turd, wrapped in shit, inside a septic tank.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

And yet... I'd still rather watch this than the Ms Marvel movie.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Arkrite wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:56 am And yet... I'd still rather watch this than the Ms Marvel movie.
I think that says less about the Shazam film and more about the damage Brie Larson and the Marvel Promotional staff have done for their film.

Ken

Post by Ken »

As the second biggest Marvel Family fan around these parts, I have to admit that I want to see the film, despite the cringe-y moments in the trailers. Maybe it's because I cast Levi as the Captain, in my head, back in 2010.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

There's a lot of things wrong with the trailer, but the most obvious one I find myself asking is this: why didn't the Wizard pick FREDDY to wield his power? Freddy is the one who actually knows about superheroing, Freddy is the one showing actual concern for people, Freddy is by far shown to be the nicer, friendlier and nobler person, with the best we've gotten from Billy being that he stood up to the people bullying Freddy.

Billy: "Did you see what I just did?"

Freddy: "You shot a lot of lightning and nearly killed a bunch of people by blasting a bus off a bridge?"

Billy: "But then I caught it!"

Freddy, concerned for the lives and safety of others and of using power responsibly.
Billy, an egotistical jackass who can't get over how awesome his powers make him.

Add to that the fact that they've made Dr. Sivana essentially a wizard who is a flying brick and the marks against this film just keep piling up.

Again, I don't begrudge anyone who wants to see it. It's very possible it'll be a funny and entertaining movie about a guy named Shazam that'll have some familiar names and maybe-kinda-sorta resemble anything from the Marvel Family. But the trailers are just reinforcing my own decision to not see it in theaters, if ever.

Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ares wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:59 am I think that says less about the Shazam film and more about the damage Brie Larson and the Marvel Promotional staff have done for their film.
Oh, if we're taking that into account I'd say that's why I'm not willing to pay to see Ms Marvel. :lol:

Honestly the trailers have shown me that this Captain Marvel isn't the classic one, they can't get the name right, and if any of the gag clips are actually in the movie it shows us that Billy isn't the same character.
As you noted it seems like Freddy is acting more like Billy than Billy is.

But I will say this, at least it looks like it's trying to have fun. If DC can pull that much off, even once, I'd say that's worth seeing it.
... Even if it's still a far sight from what we were hoping for. :?
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Arkrite wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:50 am As you noted it seems like Freddy is acting more like Billy than Billy is.
True about that element, in fact you could easily explain the whole mouthy sarcasm-aspect as a orphan-related coping mechanism.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Voltron64 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:33 am
Arkrite wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:50 am As you noted it seems like Freddy is acting more like Billy than Billy is.
True about that element, in fact you could easily explain the whole mouthy sarcasm-aspect as a orphan-related coping mechanism.
That was the excuse Geoff Johns gave in the Curse of Shazam series the movie is based off of: that Billy was hurt by the loss of his parents and actively pushed everyone away because he didn't want to be hurt again. He was pessimistic and focused on his own pain, so that he frequently lashed out at others, believed that good people didn't exist, and that the world would slap you down if you tried to be good. And because of that, the power he was given made him feel invincible, untouchable, which made him arrogant, cocky and full of himself.

Which would be fine if you were writing a story about the Sentry.

But this is about Billy Batson, and everything I just said would have made him unfit to be picked by the Wizard, especially with Freddy and Mary right there. Freddy is not only an orphan as well, but he's also crippled in one leg, yet he's not the one being a jackass. He's the one reaching out to Billy, being friendly, trying to help him, and actively pushing him to be responsible and heroic.

Now, the film is going to have Billy start out as a jerk, show a few hints of being not that bad underneath it all, get his powers, be arrogant about them, get beat down by Dr. Sivana, and then Freddy and his other foster siblings are going to help him learn the true meaning of family and the Spirit of Christmas, and he's going to be less of a jerk and somewhat more heroic by the movie's end.

Which again, if this were about Damian Wayne working with the Titans, this might actually fit.

But the whole point of Billy Batson was that he'd lost everything and the world couldn't break him. In the face of losing everyone he loved, everything he owned and anyplace to stay, he maintained his Steve Rogers-esque nobility and empathy along with his Peter Parker-esque sense of humor, friendliness and relatability. He had a clear, valid reason for why the Wizard picked him and not anyone else on the planet.

This movie misses the entire point of the character in exchange for making him every other "jerk with a heart of gold" protagonist who needs to learn a lesson. Hell, Star-Lord would have been a better choice to be picked by the Wizard than this version of Billy.

Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

MY NAME IS, HUH?

MY NAME IS, WHAT?

MY NAME IS, WHO?

MY NAME IS
You have no idea how sad I would’ve been had Ares found anything appealing about this marketing. :roll:

This is SO against what Ares has championed about Cap since I’ve known him I probably would have fainted had he thought otherwise.

I’ll see it and I’ll probably giggle a couple times but I feel like I’m going to have to lower my brow to dangerous levels to truly enjoy this.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:25 pm

You have no idea how sad I would’ve been had Ares found anything appealing about this marketing. :roll:

This is SO against what Ares has championed about Cap since I’ve known him I probably would have fainted had he thought otherwise.

I’ll see it and I’ll probably giggle a couple times but I feel like I’m going to have to lower my brow to dangerous levels to truly enjoy this.
Heh, thanks Thorp. I know I've got a very set idea about what Cap should be, and I know I can be overbearing about that idea. Ultimately it's just like any character with a long history: you find the repeating elements that appeal to you and those become your idea of what the character is and should be.

And while I don't begrudge anyone for seeing the film, I just can't put money down to support this. This will be a Netflix viewing at best. To give money to support this would be like supporting a Captain America film where Steve acted like Judge Dredd.

Ken

Post by Ken »

Well... I did on Google search on "Shazam" and I was struck by something:

Here let me zoom in...

I'm not sure what this means for the movie, but to see the actor playing Billy AND the actor playing the World's Mightiest Mortal to be labelled as "Captain Marvel" (as well as Freddy's actor labelled Captain Marvel Jr. AND the actor playing the Wizard labelled Shazam) ANYWHERE makes me feel more hoipeful for the film.
Last edited by Ken on Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.