Captain Marvel trailer(original Captain Marvel)

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
RUSCHE

Captain Marvel trailer(original Captain Marvel)

Post by RUSCHE »

Just watched the trailer, I thought it looked fun and definitely more uplifting than any of the previous DCEU. I have a idea on who is the villian but I will lot spoil it. I could not link the trailer though. I am so hopeful they get this right as he is one of my favorite heroes. Here is to wishful thinking.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Captain Marvel trailer(original Captain Marvel)

Post by Ares »

I've mentioned before how I've got little hope for this movie, to the point I'll probably only watch it in theaters if it gets heavy recommendations. There's just too much working against it for me. It's a Marvel Family movie based off of the Nu-52 versions of the characters and world. I just have no interest in watching "Curse of Shazam - The Movie".

Now, I've heard they want it to be more light-hearted and fun, and that would honestly frustrate me. Imagine if they made "Curse of Shazam - The Movie" and it was genuinely good? Well acted with great effects and fight scenes, if they actually nailed the portrayal of the character in a positive way, if the movie was fun, etc. That would probably make me even more angry than if it was just a bad movie. I expected a "Curse of Shazam" movie to be bad because the source material is terrible. If they make a good, entertaining Curse of Shazam film, then it means they could have made a fantastic Captain Marvel movie. And instead, we got stuck with a good Curse of Shazam film.

I'm pretty much in a no win scenario. If the movie is bad, DC is going to figure it's a problem with the character and shelve him. If the movie is good, then DC is going to promote Nu-Shazam for the foreseeable future. Almost nothing that can happen would result in the classic Captain Marvel coming back from whatever universe DC exiled him to.

I know I've ranted on and on about this already. It's just frustrating. I watched a video where some guy just kept calling the character "Shazam" over and over, and it honestly frustrated the Hell out of me. After 30+ years of calling the character Captain Marvel, of seeing the two Shazam shows that made it clear that there's nothing stopping them from calling him Captain Marvel in the movie or show, and having to explain the difference to people for years, it's just . . . I don't even know what.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The villain has already been announced.

I’m cautiously optimistic about this one. The director has a history of mostly horror movies (a genre I’m not fond of so I’ve never seen his work), but friends of mine whose opinions I trust tell me that his horror work is well directed and much better than the typical crud found in the genre. In interviews, he’s stressed that he wants it to be a more upbeat kind of superhero movie...

But, let’s face it, the previous six films in the DCEU don’t exactly inspire a lot of confidence.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

I am just wishing for something decent from them for once. Like I said he is one of my favorite heroes and if it is terrible I will be crushed. I rarely take poor representation of comic heroes personally, yet this one I will.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Undecided
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Im thinking positive here they've got the light hearted tone I think a Captain M movie needs and trailers like such things are meant tot ease the over all project. So if this is a learning experience for Billy that lets him prove himself worthy of the power then yeah looks good so far.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I don't know, I'm just wondering how long it'll be before Cap gets his own "Finally got the red trunks back" moment Superman recently got in the comics. It took more than 5 years for them to have Superman start acting like Superman again, and 7 years before he got his classic duds back, so I don't know. Is it going to be another 5 years before Cap stops looking like someone gave the characters from Assassin's Creed the Power of Shazam?
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

At best it'll be as mediocre as Wonder Woman was, which means it'll be a decent watch, just nothing to wow anyone.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

For the SDCC trailer it looks at least passable. It seem that it has a bit a light-hearted angle in depicting the friendship between Billy and Freddy, which I can appreciate. Opposite to the source material, there's at least an attempt to show that Billy actually has the heart in the right place from the start.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Honestly, Zack Snyder was the worst thing for the DCEU. Not that he's a bad director, but he wasn't a good fit. He didn't understand Superman.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Here's the trailer:

https://youtu.be/go6GEIrcvFY

I do not like it.

RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Ares wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:01 am Here's the trailer:

https://youtu.be/go6GEIrcvFY

I do not like it.
Ares you are a true fan . Like I said before , I hope they do it right, giving what they have done to the others gives me concern. No dread.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I like the casting. I like the tone they're going with. I like how Freddy is portrayed.

I don't like the origin they're going with. I don't like that Freddy acts more like Billy than Billy does. I don't like Billy alternating between jerkass and dumbass, and I don't like that Billy needs to force himself to follow his better impulses. I don't like the costume. I don't like him casually shooting lightning. I don't like the look of the wizard. I don't like Billy stealing or vandalizing other people's property.

After a second watch, I'm not sure how I feel about the transformation. Part of me feels that the lightning strike should feel "bigger" and more epic, but its okay foe the most part. Right now it feels more like it was scaled down for tv.

And I have the uncomfortable feeling Freddy is going to throw out a bunch of superhero names for Billy, including "Captain Marvel", and Billy is either going to say some variant of "that name is dumb" or "that's a girls name".

RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Ares wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:24 am I like the casting. I like the tone they're going with. I like how Freddy is portrayed.

I don't like the origin they're going with. I don't like that Freddy acts more like Billy than Billy does. I don't like Billy alternating between jerkass and dumbass, and I don't like that Billy needs to force himself to follow his better impulses. I don't like the costume. I don't like him casually shooting lightning. I don't like the look of the wizard. I don't like how unimpressive the transformation looks. I don't like Billy stealing or vandalizing other people's property.

And I have the uncomfortable feeling Freddy is going to throw out a bunch of superhero names for Billy, including "Captain Marvel", and Billy is either going to say some variant of "that name is dumb" or "that's a girls name".
You are spot on how that miss Billy's personality and his core goodness.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I'm hoping its just a bad trailer... The early trailers for Wonder Woman looked awful. (Keeping my fingers crossed.)
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.