Captain Marvel trailer(original Captain Marvel)

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
L-Space

Re: Captain Marvel trailer(original Captain Marvel)

Post by L-Space »

It's funny, though I don't think they've ever interacted in any of the crossovers, I've always assumed Spidey and Capt. Marvel would get along really well. Especially since Spidey started off as a teen hero and would completely understand the kind of problems/hardships that Billy has had to endure.
Formerly luketheduke86
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

L-Space wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:27 pm It's funny, though I don't think they've ever interacted in any of the crossovers, I've always assumed Spidey and Capt. Marvel would get along really well. Especially since Spidey started off as a teen hero and would completely understand the kind of problems/hardships that Billy has had to endure.
Unfortunately, DC has a tendency to shortchange Cap a lot and he doesn't even get to interact with a lot of heroes within his own universe. We never really got to see him interact with, say, the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle, for instance, which seems like a team-up made in Heaven. He never got to hang out with Batman and contrast the differences between them, how similar their tragedies were and how different their lives turned out. We never really got to see him help Wonder Woman out on any big mythological mission. We never got to see him hang out with any of the Titans, do much with the Justice League, spend time with the JSA outside of Stargirl, etc. Oddly enough, outside of being brought in to fight Superman, the hero Cap teamed up with the most tended to be Wally West.

So it's no surprise we never really got to see Cap team up with heroes outside of his own universe. Spider-Man is a natural fit, as would be some epic mythic fight alongside Thor and/or Hercules, some journey into the mystical with Dr. Strange, a comparison of man, hero and monster with the Hulk, have the Marvel Family and the Fantastic Four team up as comic's two big superhero families, an inspiring chat about staying strong in tough times with Capt. America, and of course the obligatory team-up with whomever is Captain Marvel in Marvel at the time.

For that matter, lets have Cap team up with He-Man.

Then again, I had a fairly long list of team-ups for Cap in an older merged Marvel/DC thread back on either the ATT or Ronin Army forums, with the basic premise being that Capt. Marvel could be friends with almost anyone and would be a good team-up for everyone.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Ares wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:05 pmThen again, I had a fairly long list of team-ups for Cap in an older merged Marvel/DC thread back on either the ATT or Ronin Army forums, with the basic premise being that Capt. Marvel could be friends with almost anyone and would be a good team-up for everyone.
I remember reading that! I'll have to hunt that post down sometime because there was a lot of good stuff.
Formerly luketheduke86
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

L-Space wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:34 pm
Ares wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:05 pmThen again, I had a fairly long list of team-ups for Cap in an older merged Marvel/DC thread back on either the ATT or Ronin Army forums, with the basic premise being that Capt. Marvel could be friends with almost anyone and would be a good team-up for everyone.
I remember reading that! I'll have to hunt that post down sometime because there was a lot of good stuff.
Thanks. :D

And hey, I found them!

http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopi ... 77#p643577

http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopi ... 66#p961771
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

I would pay good money to hear Bruce Wayne say Billy is the type of person I wish I could be.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

RUSCHE wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:22 pm I would pay good money to hear Bruce Wayne say Billy is the type of person I wish I could be.
Bruce said something to that effect regarding Barry Allen in Alex Ross' JUSTICE! mini-series, though this was back before Barry was brought back in the mainstream universe and was given his "My mom was murdered and THAT'S why I became a police scientist" background. Basically, he said that the honest, intelligent, friendly and relaxed Barry was someone he liked to think he could have been if not for his parent's murder.

With Billy, I see Bruce actually having . . . . well, not quite an existential crisis, but a serious questioning of his decisions when he finds out Billy's backstory.

I had this idea for a team-up in the early days of both Batman and Capt. Marvel, where during a team-up between Ra's Al Ghul and Oggar, the World's Mightiest Immortal, during which Cap needs to transform back into Billy to save the day. A few days after the adventure, Billy is at his apartment when Bruce Wayne stops to visit, and explains who he is. He explains his origin, how he became Batman, and after learning who Captain Marvel was, decided to research Billy. Initially, Bruce was suspicious of any child having that kind of power, since at the time he only trusted Superman due to a shared adventure and his belief in Superman's character.

Looking into Billy's past tho, Bruce is actually humbled. Both Billy and Bruce lost their parents to criminals, brutally murdered when both were about the same age. Billy also lost his sister, his home, his inheritance, betrayed by his caretaker and forced to live on the streets until the Wizard picked him, and even now Billy maintains his status as an emancipated child through hard work at a local news company. Bruce meanwhile, went home to a multi-billion dollar fortune, a loyal father figure who saw to his every need, with virtually limitless resources and support waiting for him. Bruce had every advantage, yet it was Billy who remained the more well-adjusted and optimistic of the pair.

In essence, when both were at their lowest points, both of them turned their attention in different directions. Bruce focused on his own pain and trauma, but rather than wallow in it, decided to do something about said pain. So he trained, learned and dedicated his life to making sure no one would ever suffer that tragedy if he could help it. Meanwhile Billy focused on the pain of everyone else around him, the homeless people who would make room for him by a fire, share their food, a looked out for each other. How these people with so little shared what they had so that everyone suffered a little, rather than one person suffering a lot, or alone. Focusing on that, on the memories of his parents, the lessons they taught him, Billy decided to not let his circumstances make him a worse person.

Basically, even though they focused in two different directions, both men became heroes and wanted to do good for other people. So both would have a great deal of respect for each other. And Bruce would later use Billy's example as a reason to intentionally avoid turning Dick, Jason and Tim into little versions of himself, instead encouraging them to become better, brighter and happier people, with mixed success. Because Billy Batson showed him that there are other ways to deal with pain, and that you need to embrace your family when you can.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

And yes, before Jab mentions it, I am basically as big a fanboy of Capt. Marvel as Mark Greunwald was of Capt. America. I make no apologies for it. :D

RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Ares wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:26 pm
RUSCHE wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:22 pm I would pay good money to hear Bruce Wayne say Billy is the type of person I wish I could be.
Bruce said something to that effect regarding Barry Allen in Alex Ross' JUSTICE! mini-series, though this was back before Barry was brought back in the mainstream universe and was given his "My mom was murdered and THAT'S why I became a police scientist" background. Basically, he said that the honest, intelligent, friendly and relaxed Barry was someone he liked to think he could have been if not for his parent's murder.

With Billy, I see Bruce actually having . . . . well, not quite an existential crisis, but a serious questioning of his decisions when he finds out Billy's backstory.

I had this idea for a team-up in the early days of both Batman and Capt. Marvel, where during a team-up between Ra's Al Ghul and Oggar, the World's Mightiest Immortal, during which Cap needs to transform back into Billy to save the day. A few days after the adventure, Billy is at his apartment when Bruce Wayne stops to visit, and explains who he is. He explains his origin, how he became Batman, and after learning who Captain Marvel was, decided to research Billy. Initially, Bruce was suspicious of any child having that kind of power, since at the time he only trusted Superman due to a shared adventure and his belief in Superman's character.

Looking into Billy's past tho, Bruce is actually humbled. Both Billy and Bruce lost their parents to criminals, brutally murdered when both were about the same age. Billy also lost his sister, his home, his inheritance, betrayed by his caretaker and forced to live on the streets until the Wizard picked him, and even now Billy maintains his status as an emancipated child through hard work at a local news company. Bruce meanwhile, went home to a multi-billion dollar fortune, a loyal father figure who saw to his every need, with virtually limitless resources and support waiting for him. Bruce had every advantage, yet it was Billy who remained the more well-adjusted and optimistic of the pair.

In essence, when both were at their lowest points, both of them turned their attention in different directions. Bruce focused on his own pain and trauma, but rather than wallow in it, decided to do something about said pain. So he trained, learned and dedicated his life to making sure no one would ever suffer that tragedy if he could help it. Meanwhile Billy focused on the pain of everyone else around him, the homeless people who would make room for him by a fire, share their food, a looked out for each other. How these people with so little shared what they had so that everyone suffered a little, rather than one person suffering a lot, or alone. Focusing on that, on the memories of his parents, the lessons they taught him, Billy decided to not let his circumstances make him a worse person.

Basically, even though they focused in two different directions, both men became heroes and wanted to do good for other people. So both would have a great deal of respect for each other. And Bruce would later use Billy's example as a reason to intentionally avoid turning Dick, Jason and Tim into little versions of himself, instead encouraging them to become better, brighter and happier people, with mixed success. Because Billy Batson showed him that there are other ways to deal with pain, and that you need to embrace your family when you can.
This is simply amazing. A great view on how they are similar and so utterly different. Never apologize for being THE Captain Marvel fan eiyher..haha
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Heh, thanks. :) There was a lot of old Pre-Flashpoint stuff I miss, like Bruce having bought Clark and Lois' apartment building and his wedding present being to let them live there rent free.

I had this idea that originally, Uncle Duddley owned the apartment building Billy lived in, which was somewhat run down because Duddley would charge people low fees in order to help out hard luck cases that he felt needed help. What kept the place going is that everyone there would pitch in and help maintain the place to keep it as more of a "not pretty but functional" place.

Billy eventually gets a good paying job and uses his powers to help clean up the place and basically co-owns it with Duddley, making it a good home for folks that need it. Bruce would try to buy the place and overhaul it, but both Billy and Duddley would refuse (albeit Duddley is very tempted). They don't want charity, but if he'd like to help some of the folks in the building find honest work and work with Billy on some community projects, that'd be swell.

greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Chris Brady wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:15 pm What the $#!& is 'Brown'? There are three types of humans, Caucasoid, Negroid and Mongoloid, each with their unique facial and biological appearance, 'Brown' is not one of them!
No, actually even as far back as the 18th century there were more than three primary racial groups recognized (though in that era's terms, "Brown" would equate to the "Malay" group, rather than the Hispanic sub-group of Caucasians, or the Aryan ethnic group of Southeastern Asia), with Australian Aborigines, Native Americans, and the Inuit being distinct, along with rather wide group traits exhibited by Northern and Sub-Saharan African groups. Of course, these taxonomies were created during an age when marriage and procreation among humans of different skin colors was relatively rare, making the categories increasingly less useful. There are modern researchers who consider the taxonomies too broad for humans, as even among the major recognized groups, none is close to distinct enough to approach a sub-species of Homo Sapiens Sapiens.

All my best.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:30 am Heh, thanks. :) There was a lot of old Pre-Flashpoint stuff I miss, like Bruce having bought Clark and Lois' apartment building and his wedding present being to let them live there rent free.

I had this idea that originally, Uncle Duddley owned the apartment building Billy lived in, which was somewhat run down because Duddley would charge people low fees in order to help out hard luck cases that he felt needed help. What kept the place going is that everyone there would pitch in and help maintain the place to keep it as more of a "not pretty but functional" place.

Billy eventually gets a good paying job and uses his powers to help clean up the place and basically co-owns it with Duddley, making it a good home for folks that need it. Bruce would try to buy the place and overhaul it, but both Billy and Duddley would refuse (albeit Duddley is very tempted). They don't want charity, but if he'd like to help some of the folks in the building find honest work and work with Billy on some community projects, that'd be swell.
Personally, I really liked the idea underlying the Young Justice version where it was implied that Duddley was in fact Billy legal guardian, which makes a lot of sense.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

I hope the movie shows the absolute joy it is to fly, we have so many heroes/heroines that can fly that the joy seems to be lost. Imagine one day being able to say the magic word and Boom!! Flying..
I have shared this before so be patient with me, I looked up to Benn Grimm for his heart and toughness, Peter parker for his steadfast commitment to do the right thing no matter the cost..but Billy...to become something..no someone else.
As a kid I was well adjusted to being a amputee, but if I was to be completely honest there were times I wished I could have said Shazam!!! And flew away.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

greycrusader wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:16 am
Chris Brady wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:15 pm What the $#!& is 'Brown'? There are three types of humans, Caucasoid, Negroid and Mongoloid, each with their unique facial and biological appearance, 'Brown' is not one of them!
No, actually even as far back as the 18th century there were more than three primary racial groups recognized (though in that era's terms, "Brown" would equate to the "Malay" group, rather than the Hispanic sub-group of Caucasians, or the Aryan ethnic group of Southeastern Asia), with Australian Aborigines, Native Americans, and the Inuit being distinct, along with rather wide group traits exhibited by Northern and Sub-Saharan African groups. Of course, these taxonomies were created during an age when marriage and procreation among humans of different skin colors was relatively rare, making the categories increasingly less useful. There are modern researchers who consider the taxonomies too broad for humans, as even among the major recognized groups, none is close to distinct enough to approach a sub-species of Homo Sapiens Sapiens.

All my best.
Off topic: Actually no. It was discovered that Native Americans and the Inuit share a lot of the same genetic features as the other Mongoloids, and it's been posit that they were originally from North America and wandered over to what is now known as China and Japan via the land bridge that was the Bering Strait at the time. While Caucasoid are native to Northern Europe and Asia (AKA Russia.)

There are variations within them, but there are only three main types of humans. Although the Australian Aborigines ARE distinct enough to be their own type, they're sadly not very common else where. End off topic.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

I am still confused on how we got off topic to begin with?
Captain Marvel =diversity in the human species?? :shock: haha.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I was rewatching the trailer, and I noticed a few things about the costume.

1) Levi's cape is not as long as nu-Shazam's cape is in the comics, though it isn't as short as Captain Marvel's

2) Levi's costume has the stylised rank insignia on his wrists. Nu-Shazam just has golden bracers. Captain Marvel has always had the five decorative gold bands, not dissimilar to the markings one finds on the sleeves of a naval officer's dress uniform. In the U.S. Navy, captain's sleeves actually have four bands and a star; instead of a star, Bill has a band with a hump.

Levi's costume has added lights, but the bands are still evident. The number seems to have decreased, but they are there.

But since the sleeve markings are one of the more pseudo-military aspects of Captain Marvel costume (the others being the marching band style cape, and [sometimes] the jacket flap), I'm glad they included that detail.

I am also glad that, despite putting the lightning both in the gold decorative piece, they left out the red banded chestplate DC stuck on nu-Shazam.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.