Black Lightning vs Luke Cage tv series

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Spectrum

Black Lightning vs Luke Cage tv series

Post by Spectrum » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:03 am

I started watching the Black Lightning series on Netflix a few weeks ago and haven't been able to come back to it. For the first few episodes, generally liked the uplifting but urban feel to it. Watching the Luke Cage season 2 commercials, looks very similar.

Parallel development or just seizing on the zeitgeist? Either one better than the other? Do they end up exploring major themes in different, interesting, ways?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.

MacynSnow

Re: Black Lightning vs Luke Cage tv series

Post by MacynSnow » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:32 am

Spectrum wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:03 am
I started watching the Black Lightning series on Netflix a few weeks ago and haven't been able to come back to it. For the first few episodes, generally liked the uplifting but urban feel to it. Watching the Luke Cage season 2 commercials, looks very similar.

Parallel development or just seizing on the zeitgeist? Either one better than the other? Do they end up exploring major themes in different, interesting, ways?
This depends on how you like your "Street" Heroes: Grim-n-Gritty Arrow & Daredevil types or Modern Four-Color Spider-Man & The Flash style adventures? If the first,then Luke Cage would be more your thing.If not,then try Black Lightning....

Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:40 am

The two series obviously tread upon the same ground, given the nature of the comic book heroes they're adapting. Plus, no matter how the production company tries to spin it, its pretty obvious that Black Lightning is a "follow the leader" series chasing after Luke Cage's success. Black Lightning is a lot more "bright" than Luke Cage, sort of like the contrast between Superman and the Batman.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.

Spectrum

Post by Spectrum » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:30 pm

In the last month or so, ended up watching a bit of both.

Black Lightning was okay. Had some fun not really watching it but playing in the background moments, but it never really caught my attention. Managed to get pretty annoyed by the daughters.. and the wife.. and well.. easy to tune out.

Luke Cage season 2, on the other hand, had me actually watching it and paying attention. Far more engaging of a storyline and made me actually care about what happened to the characters.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.