Anti-Man and the W.A.S.P.s

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Batgirl III

Anti-Man and the W.A.S.P.s

Post by Batgirl III »

Because we can't just go to the movies to watch folks in tights saving innocent people from bad things... Oh no, we have to be woke:
Daily Beast wrote:Instead of helping Ava find a way to cope (and not necessarily eradicate) her disability, the film seeks to provide a cure. It does so with its own version of “white science,” a term coined by author Carol Clover in her psychoanalytic exploration of horror films, Men, Women, and Chainsaws. It refers to anything considered to be “Western traditional medicine,” usually dispensed or controlled by a white man. The quantum realm functions as this film’s white science, a magical but wholly scientific world discovered by Hank Pym. Once she is freed from the realm, Janet offers to save Ava by transferring her quantum energy into her. She lays her hands on Ava—a technique often associated with tent revival preachers who “cured” poor, afflicted people by touch—and saves the woman through scientific technology.

One could say Janet’s benevolence absolves Hank of his sins [of white privilege], or posits her as a white savior for this disabled woman of color, but it’s unclear whether any of that is directly coded into the film.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Anti-Man and the W.A.S.P.s

Post by Ares »

Dear GOD, will this never end?
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ares wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:22 am Dear GOD, will this never end?
Did you just appropriate French culture and have a cishet white man do it!?

BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

THIS is why i don't listen to or read Movie reviews.I'm actually an Intelligent,Decently Educated(for an admittedly Proud Kentucky Redneck Caveman),Properly raised Human Being that can actually make-up their own(admittedly Ignorant) mind about weither or not they like a Movie they paid a lot of money to see.**

**This folks,is called Self-Defricating Humor.Made famous by People such as Mark Twain,Mike Foley and Lewis Grizzard
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

ya know, I like dissecting movies and looking at subtext and metaphor, like the horror movie Ginger Snaps which doubles not just as a werewolf movie but also a metaphor about puberty and 'changing' into someone different (which also has the oft-used werewolf-ism as the 'curse' of menstruation) but sometimes people project things into movies.

Granted a slavery metaphor might have certain ring to King Kong, but I doubt it's what was intended when the movie was made. Sometimes a giant gorilla is just a giant gorilla.