Rumours: People want an all Female Avengers film

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Rumours: People want an all Female Avengers film

Post by Ares »

I honestly wouldn't have a problem with that, at least based on the articles. From a quick glance it just sounds like they they want some Marvel movies where you've got some of the female heroines teaming up, which isn't really a problem for me. It's long since time for Black Widow to have her own movie, and I wouldn't mind seeing Nat and Carol team up in a kind of "World's Finest" kind of way, with Carol being the muscle and Nat being the skill/brains. And much as I hate SJW politics, it is kind of a shame that Carol's film will be the first time we get a MCU film with a female lead. Ant-Man and the Wasp is the first time we even get a female character in the title of the movie as a co-star.

If they go the route of "we need an all female Avengers", then yeah, that would stink of cringe and agenda. But if it's just "these super ladies are teaming up to fight threat X", then I don't see the issue. If the story is good, the ladies are in character, and words like "mansplain" and "patriarchy" and similar nonsense don't appear, then green-light it.

So yeah, as long as it doesn't turn into the Ghostbusters reboot that feels misandrist or tries to use the female leads as a shield from criticism, I wouldn't have a problem with a Marvel film headed by nothing but super-ladies.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

From what I gather from a couple of friends, who have not spoiled the new Ant-man flick, the name should have been reversed. To clarify, they believe the title should have been Wasp and Ant-Man.

To be honest, I think an all female Avengers film would bomb, and bomb hard. The biggest movie going audience in the West is still women, and they don't want to see women in action films, they want Tom Hiddleston, and/or Chris Pine and Helmsworth and Robert Downie Jr prancing on screen. So they'd be losing half their audience right there. And it doesn't matter how good the film would turn out to be. Most women who see the Avengers or other MCU don't care about the plot or story, they just want to see their favourite stars.

And we're not going to get an all Male Avengers film, so why should we get an all female one, anyway?

Personally, I'd rather not see either. I don't want an all male or all female Avengers flick, I want one where both genders and all races participate, because I like diversity of opinion and looks.

But what do I know? I'm the Fandom Strangler.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Just give us our damn Black Widow solo film already! With Hawkeye in a supporting character role (and cameos from Fury, Rogers, and May).

Paramour just released the sixth flick in the Mission: Impossible film franchise; Universal has cranked out five Bourne Adjective movies; Fox has pushed out three Taken flicks and a TV series... and Neeson has made like ten other movies that are just Taken with the serial numbers filed off. There have been two dozen James Bond movies...

Grab any one of the dozens of scripts for the next sequel to one of these franchises. Have one of your interns do a “Find and Replace” for the name Ethan Hunt/Jason Bourne/James Bond/Liam Neeson substituting Black Widow. Done.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:55 pm Just give us our damn Black Widow solo film already!
It won't happen because it won't sell, and they know it. Because if actions movies with female leads sold, why hasn't Salt? Red Sparrow? These films MAY have made money, but not enough to justify a franchise.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Chris Brady wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:06 pm
Batgirl III wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:55 pm Just give us our damn Black Widow solo film already!
It won't happen because it won't sell, and they know it. Because if actions movies with female leads sold, why hasn't Salt? Red Sparrow? These films MAY have made money, but not enough to justify a franchise.
Don’t make it an “action” film, make it an espionage thriller.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Chris Brady wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:22 am
To be honest, I think an all female Avengers film would bomb, and bomb hard. The biggest movie going audience in the West is still women, and they don't want to see women in action films, they want Tom Hiddleston, and/or Chris Pine and Helmsworth and Robert Downie Jr prancing on screen. So they'd be losing half their audience right there. And it doesn't matter how good the film would turn out to be. Most women who see the Avengers or other MCU don't care about the plot or story, they just want to see their favourite stars.
I think the bajillion dollars Wonder Woman made kind of proves that one a little bit wrong. I mean, that was a bit of a perfect storm kind of moment and hard to replicate exactly, but it showed there was DEFINITELY a market for that kind of thing, if done well. I remember Winnie Holzman (writer of Wicked's Broadway book) on a podcast, describing the success of Wicked and comparing it to WW: "Women don't get to SEE that kind of story very often". There's an audience there that's relatively starved to see bad-ass chicks doing bad-ass things, and being the heroes of the tale. One too many Elektras and Catwomans have left studios gun-shy about it, but competent people (like the guys who successfully made a movie with a talking tree & raccoon into a multi-billion dollar franchise with a permanent presence in a Disney theme park) can make that successful.

Like, spending $200 million to make a single movie about Scarlett's character (one of the least-popular Avengers), then yeah- it'll fail. But you can make one more modestly- something Ant-Man and the Wasp-level, even.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Chris Brady wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:06 pm It won't happen because it won't sell, and they know it. Because if actions movies with female leads sold, why hasn't Salt? Red Sparrow? These films MAY have made money, but not enough to justify a franchise.
Budget: $78 million
Box office: $694.4 million
Rotten Tomatoes: 84% approval rating

Budget: $130 million
Box office: $865 million
Rotten Tomatoes: 89% approval rating

Budget: $140 million
Box office: $755.4 million
Rotten Tomatoes: 67% approval rating

Budget: $160 million
Box office: $653.4 million
Rotten Tomatoes: 70% approval rating

Quod erat demonstrandum.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Wait a second... I know I saw an all-female Avengers film... oh, right! This one!

^_^ No, really, don't watch it. It's pretty bad. Not terrible for the budget they had, but still pretty bad. On the other hand, Mercenaries, The Asylum's mockbuster of The Expendables with an all-female cast, is actually quite entertaining.

I'm with Batgirl III. Females can carry action films.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

I don't buy that a Black Widow movie wouldn't sell.

If they can sell Ant Man, then the sky's the limit.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Marvel Studios has made three films that have the audience feeling deep empathy for a walking tree that can only say three words... I think they can figure out a way to get audiences interested in buying tickets to a film where Scarlett Johansson runs around in a catsuit and shoots people.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:36 pm Image
Budget: $140 million
Box office: $755.4 million
Rotten Tomatoes: 67% approval rating
I wonder why THG:MOCK1 only got a 67% while everything before and after got 70's and up?.....
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

MacynSnow wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:42 pm I wonder why THG:MOCK1 only got a 67% while everything before and after got 70's and up?.....
You'd have to drill down into the individual reviews to get the specifics. From my recollection of that movie, it had way too many "two people in a dark room saying exposition at each other" scenes, and not nearly enough of the emotional weight and kick-butt action scenes of the first two films. Too much logos, too little pathos. It's not a bad movie, just the weakest of the four.

It was still the second highest domestic gross of 2014; only being edged out of the top slot by $13 million dollars by American Sniper, a Clint Eastwood directed film that got six Oscar noms and had major heartland appeal. Mockingjay - Part 1 kicked American Sniper's butt once you count the foreign box office receipts.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:19 pm I think they can figure out a way to get audiences interested in buying tickets to a film where Scarlett Johansson runs around in a catsuit...
I'm sold! When's the movie coming out? :D
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Ken

Post by Ken »

My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.