Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
RainOnTheSun

Re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Spider-Verse might be the best Spider-Man movie I've ever seen. It's either this or Spider-Man 2, hard to say. Hoping for a sequel.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:41 am Spider-Verse might be the best Spider-Man movie I've ever seen. It's either this or Spider-Man 2, hard to say. Hoping for a sequel.
Rumour is they want an all girl spinoff. Given it's box office numbers though, no guarantees however.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

RainOnTheSun wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:41 am Spider-Verse might be the best Spider-Man movie I've ever seen. It's either this or Spider-Man 2, hard to say. Hoping for a sequel.
Agreed, my youngest and I loved it. Definitely buying it when it comes out and hope that there is a sequel.

Also according to IMDB
Gross USA: $162,890,116, 24 January 2019
Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $326,249,641, 21 January 2019

Whilst not a mega hit the size of the sum of the Pizar/Disney movies, still looks respectable to me.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Corrigon wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:33 pm Also according to IMDB

Whilst not a mega hit the size of the sum of the Pizar/Disney movies, still looks respectable to me.
Financing for films is squirrelly. Tax breaks, subsidies, whether you include DVD sales and foreign markets, whether you include marketing... Best example I know of is Uwe Boll. One of the reasons he kept making movies, despite them being objectively lousy, is that they often made a profit before they were even released. And, of course, studios may also downplay a financially successful movie so that they can claim they took a loss.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

I remember that Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban apparently made a loss for the studio

Budget:$130,000,000 (estimated)
Opening Weekend: £23,882,688 (United Kingdom), 6 June 2004, Limited Release
Opening Weekend USA: $93,687,367, 6 June 2004, Wide Release
Gross USA: $249,358,727, 31 October 2004
Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $796,688,549, 10 November 2011
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Corrigon wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:33 pm
Agreed, my youngest and I loved it. Definitely buying it when it comes out and hope that there is a sequel.

Also according to IMDB

Gross means total, without costs. What we need know is how much of that is actual profit. Now according to my sources, if you want to be generous, cut that in half. That's the ACTUAL profits. Again, that's being GENEROUS. The cuts could be WORSE.

Also, the budget, the number they give us (if they give us a number at all) is the COST of the movie. NOT the cost of the movie and MARKETING. Again, being generous, you need to add 50% more. It's often more than that. But let's nice, and say it's half. So the REAL cost of Spiderverse was 145m.

And cutting the worldwide (At Jan 21st.) gross in HALF (again, being generous...) then we're looking at 161m gain. So it made about 16m profit. Not the 3x they want and make it consider a blockbuster franchise.

I need to stress, the budget numbers are there to make it look GOOD for the real customers, the INVESTORS. They often don't count in things such as RESHOOTS, much less Marketing.

In the end, we're being fed lies most of the time.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

As you say, most figures, including the ones you present, are guesses. And as I noted, film financing is convoluted, intentionally so so that the companies can shake the narrative of how successful or not successful their film is.

*shrug* Ultimately, it was a good film to my eyes, and it seems they not only made money on it, but enough to get a sequel financed, so I'm happy.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Chris Brady wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:00 pm In the end, we're being fed lies most of the time.
Certainly by you.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Chris Brady wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:00 pm In the end, we're being fed lies most of the time.
Davies wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:58 am Certainly by you.
Okay, official Mod Voice time. I'm quoting both of both of you because I want both of you to be aware of what I have to say, and I want it to be public for everyone.

Davies: If someone is making factually incorrect statements and you want to correct them, that's fine. Preferably by phrasing it as a correction. Just flat out calling a fellow poster a liar here is needlessly antagonistic and a personal attack. Consider this a warning and don't do it again.

Chris: To my knowledge, you haven't directly made any personal attacks against anyone here, which I appreciate. You do, however, have a tendency to word your posts in a way that comes off as angry and confrontational. As much as I appreciate people sticking to the letter of the law, I don't want any antagonism here, unintentional or otherwise. A little self-awareness can go a long way.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Ares wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:38 amChris: To my knowledge, you haven't directly made any personal attacks against anyone here, which I appreciate. You do, however, have a tendency to word your posts in a way that comes off as angry and confrontational. As much as I appreciate people sticking to the letter of the law, I don't want any antagonism here, unintentional or otherwise. A little self-awareness can go a long way.
My apologies, I am not trying to be antagonistic. I'm relaying facts as I've had them related by people I know in the various industries. I apologize if Davies thinks I'm attacking him personally, but again, these are stated facts.

I personally believe in attacking the argument, not the person. If it's wrong I will point it out. I will try to soften my language, but I'm not sure I can control how others view the 'tone'.