The Box Office Topic

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
M4C8

Re: The Box Office Topic

Post by M4C8 »

Chris Brady wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:46 am The problem with Frozen and Wonder Woman is that they weren't all that great as films, but what came before them was even worse.

Even a bad meal can taste like ambrosia if you're starving.

That's not to say they were bad, but they were no where near as good as people claimed they were.
As much as I love super hero movies I found Wonder Woman and definitely Black Panther to be mediocre at best.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

The more I watch Black Panther the more racist I found it.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Negative comments about Frozen?? DEAD TO ME.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:13 am Negative comments about Frozen?? DEAD TO ME.
:lol:

It's not a terrible film, I liked it. But it wasn't the best thing evah.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

So Disney's The Nutcracker and the Four Realms bombed pretty hard, to the surprise of nobody. This whole "Normal Girl Goes Off Into A Strange World" genre REALLY needs to die for a few years, because Disney keeps bombing with it- A Wrinkle In Time and most notably Alice in Wonderland: Through The Looking Glass lost a TON of money, too.

The boring trailers didn't help- a few cool-looking set pieces, but the generic "Let's do a pop song at 1/4 speed with a female singer" thing is REALLY played out.

Too bad, too, because this was Misty Copeland's first mainstream role, and HOLY GOD is she the perfect woman. Sooooooo pretttyyyyy...
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:40 am So Disney's The Nutcracker and the Four Realms bombed pretty hard, to the surprise of nobody. This whole "Normal Girl Goes Off Into A Strange World" genre REALLY needs to die for a few years, because Disney keeps bombing with it- A Wrinkle In Time and most notably Alice in Wonderland: Through The Looking Glass lost a TON of money, too.

The boring trailers didn't help- a few cool-looking set pieces, but the generic "Let's do a pop song at 1/4 speed with a female singer" thing is REALLY played out.

Too bad, too, because this was Misty Copeland's first mainstream role, and HOLY GOD is she the perfect woman. Sooooooo pretttyyyyy...
Also, they really didn't advertise it all that well, at least not overseas.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Took my youngest to see Nutcracker; its an odd film, using the ballet to explain the backstory, but at the same time the very standard safe tropes of a lot of Disney movies. It passed the time, but hardly lingered long in the memory.

Overall, it felt very lazy and considering the poor advertising for it, mostly it came across as well, we made it, so we really should put it out there, but we have no faith in it.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Wreck-It Ralph 2 is doing very well, apparently in line with Moana, which itself did well but not, like, DISNEY TOP-TIER well. It'll be interesting to see where it ends up- it reviewed about as well as most Disney films (86-90%), but didn't seem to have many OUTSTANDING reviews.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Well I wondered given the reviews if Mortal Engines would be another John Carter, turns out it is. Movies veru entertaining and lots of fun good story and I like the premise and characters, Sadly the studios got stupid and like JC failed ot properly advertise and market it and its floundering badly. :(

Still all told I do recommend it some really impressive visuals and a neat story very enttetaining movie.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

when a big part of your advertising is getting Peter Jackson sat in front of a camera to shill for it, you know somebody has dropped the ball somewhere.

Having seen it, I felt it went the other way to other Peter Jackson movies and actually needed to be longer to deal with all the plot threads and characters. It really felt on the edge of being a really good film. Just wasn't quite there.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

It definitely could have used a bit more exposition ill grant but overall I found it enjoyable and worth an afternoons viewing. Just think the studios really need to step their game up when it comes to these lower profile projects and not put all their eggs in the tentpole so to speak.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

So I've done some research into this, and I've found out some facts that skew the numbers a bit.

First off: Budget. Now, a lot of the time, we only get literally half the number, because they don't list the marketing spent on the movie. Which according to multiple sources who have worked in Hollywood is AT MINIMUM 50% MORE (if not 100% for the bigger films) than they report, if they report at all. Then there are the 'reshoots'. Now, most of the time, that's not that big a factor, but in the case of say, Solo, in which they reshot 80% of the film, that's LITERALLY DOUBLE what they say they actually spent.

Next up is the income listed, most people see the number but ignore the word 'gross' which is the money taken in BEFORE expenses, like the theatre's cut. Now, depending where the movie is shown this varies ridiculously. For example, China, they keep 80% of the income listed, America is 30%, Canada fluctuates, but here in my home province it's 40%. So in reality, if you cut that number in literally HALF, that's likely how much they took home, and that's being generous.

So, picking on say, Ghostbuster 2016. The listed cost for the movie is 144m, add 72m for the marketing spent (Although rumour has it it was more) bring the total for 216m. Not the box office says total gross income was 229m Sounds like it made money! Except that we need to cut that in half, because of the various expenses (and again, we're being nice) brings the total to: 114.5m It lost almost 120m.

On the flip side, Spider Verse, with it's smaller 90m, although again, I heard that the marketing was closer to 100m, but I'll go with 45m, bringing it to a total of 135m. Now, to date it's made 302m. Which if we split that in two, again, being generous, it's barely squeaked by with 151m. Again, that's assuming that they only spent 45m on Marketing. Otherwise, even with my generosity, it's a flop.

And finally, what is considered an unmitigated success (which is absolutely ludicrous to me) is when the movie makes 3x it's total budget. Once it does that, it's considered Franchise Material and the new Holy Grail to run into the ground.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Thinking about it, Disney is going to have a year like no other studio has ever had.

The short list:
* Toy Story 4
* Frozen 2
* Star Wars Episode IX
* Aladdin (Live-Action)
* The Lion King (Live-Action... well, okay, CGI)
* Dumbo (Live-Action)
* Avengers: Endgame

This is INSANE. 1-2 of these could be all-time bombs (I expect Dumbo to be Nutcracker 2'd) and they would STILL shatter every record in existence. I mean, sequels to two of the two biggest animated features of all time? In the SAME YEAR? Complete with the end of this generation of Marvel movies, and THREE Live-Action remakes (a sure moneymaker so far)?