Invincible: TAS

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
bsdigitalq

Invincible: TAS

Post by bsdigitalq »

So apparently this is happening. The rumors have been out there that Kirkman was looking to make a TV show out of this, but the animated angle is new, and IMO, the best angle to go with. Looking forward to this, and hoping it will be, as Jab put it, "Like Kirkman's series, but without all the flaws"
Shock

Re: Invincible: TAS

Post by Shock »

Hopefully they tone down the gore from the comic so I can stomach watching it
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Please don’t suck...
Please don’t suck...
Please don’t suck...
Please don’t suck...
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Depending on who Kirkman uses,the style might be horrible looking(i'm talking Steven Universe level Fugly here).He's also gonna have to definitely change the story alot,as most of what happened in the books ain't flying even if you strap a jet Engine on it... ;)
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

MacynSnow wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:11 am Depending on who Kirkman uses,the style might be horrible looking(i'm talking Steven Universe level Fugly here).He's also gonna have to definitely change the story alot,as most of what happened in the books ain't flying even if you strap a jet Engine on it... ;)
Unless it’s going to be pitched as a Young Adult series (a la Avatar) or an Adult series (a la most anime). Then it could pretty much run as written.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:17 am
MacynSnow wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:11 am Depending on who Kirkman uses,the style might be horrible looking(i'm talking Steven Universe level Fugly here).He's also gonna have to definitely change the story alot,as most of what happened in the books ain't flying even if you strap a jet Engine on it... ;)
Unless it’s going to be pitched as a Young Adult series (a la Avatar) or an Adult series (a la most anime). Then it could pretty much run as written.
Problem with that is,it won't get as much mainstream coverage as Kirkman seem's to want nowadays.To get it on someplace like Cartoon Network or AMC,he'll have to tone down or even re-write some of it,at the least....
Shock

Post by Shock »

According to the article, it's going to run on Amazon video, so that pretty much leaves them with a lot of freedom to do what they want.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

I'd love if the animation was similar to Young Justice's.
Formerly luketheduke86
Shock

Post by Shock »

L-Space wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:30 am
I agree. With the high quality of the art in the comic, I'd hate to see them go with a cheap or over-stylized style
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Shock wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:36 am
L-Space wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:30 am
I agree. With the high quality of the art in the comic, I'd hate to see them go with a cheap or over-stylized style
I don't know, now I have this hilarious mental image of Invincible being done up like Steven Universe or that new Thundercats cartoon, only they keep the hyper violence, so you get things like Conquest disemboweling Mark, Nolan ripping Immortal in half with blood and entrails flying everywhere, and Mark getting raped, all done with that cutesy art style.

Though just as hilarious would be an anime-esque style like Avatar: The Last Airbender, and the fights resemble something from Dragon Ball Z, bringing that whole "I've never watched Dragon Ball, there's just a lot of unintentional similarities" thing full circle.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

hehe, just rip off the animation style of Toriyama's full scale, and act like it was a coincidence :).

Yeah, I was a bit stunned by the news. This depends ENTIRELY on the animation style and level of censorship- Invincible was very much a Gore-themed series after a point, though they REPEATEDLY, and weakly, denied that it was such. It's... well, it's gory. If you DROP the gore, then you change a fundamental aspect of that universe.

HOWEVER, you can drop the gore and maintain the overall story so long as people die.

But yeah, like I said to BSDQ when he brought it to my attention on Facebook, I'm hoping it can also FIX a lot of the errors in Invincible. I was pretty clear with most of them when I posted the builds this February, when the book finally ended:

* Supporting Characters With Nothing To Do- many of whom died without ever getting characterization.
* Too Many Flying Bricks- to the point where it seemed like the only power-set they could come up with after a point.
* Forgotten or Glossed-Over Sub-Plots- Anissa raping Mark is more or less explained away and he's told to forget about it. Major characters are given TONS of backstory, then immediately turned into subplots (Black Samson, Bulletproof).
* Too many Infodumps. This would be EVEN WORSE in animated form, but can at least have some interesting stuff going on while it happens. They need a REALLY good cinematographer to deal with Kirkman's tendency towards this- the only reason he doesn't have a worse reputation for Talking Heads than Bendis is because of Ottley's skill with these pages.
* Too many easily-dealt-with problems- The Viltrumites are suddenly revealed to be a nearly-dead race! Viltrumite Half-Breeds OTHER than Mark gain their powers young! Allen gains a sudden power-up because we like him and want to use him more! All of the smartest and most well-armed guys in the universe can be beaten with MOAR PUNCHING- no tactics necessary!