Captain Marvel Worries

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Captain Marvel Worries

Post by Ares »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:15 am “Miniseries Masterpiece, Obnoxiously Ongoing.”
I like that.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ken wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:48 am
Ares wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:52 am "Hawked"

That was my first exposure to that kind of phenomena. Hawkworld was a mini-series written in the late 80's about an alternate take on Thanagar, the world of Hawkman and Hawkgirl. It was apparently very well received, though it was set in its own "Elseworlds" continuity. Unfortunately, it proved so popular that DC decided "Hey, lets make it the new history for Hawkman and Hawkgirl, and launch a monthly book based on it". Problem was, they made it so these new Hawks just arrived on Earth, creating the first instance of the continuity nightmare that would become the Hawk books for years, until JSA fixed them all.

So when this happens now, the person got "Hawked".
Actually, the Hawkworld mini was intended to be a set before Brave & the Bold #34, and if it had allowed to just add depth to what we already knew of Thanagar and had been set when the author intended, it wouldn't have been that big of a deal. It was when they launched the monthly book set a right after the mini and in the then current DC Universe it became a continuity snarl.
It's what happened to The Hawks that i haven't bought but 2 series by DC in absolute AGES(the original Suicide Squad run and The Question just because i liked the Early Film Noir atmosphere).I'm of the mind that you can have a solid continuity and have new writers add stuff to it without Erasing what was there.You could steal ideas from the Soaps fer crying out loud if your THAT hard-up for drama stuff(they steal ideas all the time!)....
Last edited by MacynSnow on Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:01 pm Brie Larson has been making noise in the media and on the tweet-o-sphere lately. Of the “Woke” kind:
“I do not need a 70-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work for him about ‘[A] Wrinkle in Time.’ It wasn’t made for him. I want to know what it meant to women of color, to biracial women, to teen women of color, to teens that are biracial.”
"What I am saying is that if you make a movie that is a love letter to women of color, there is an insanely low chance a woman of color will have the chance to see your movie and review your movie," she said. "We need to be conscious of our bias and make sure that everyone is in the room."
Maybe it’s just me and my paranoid need to over analyze things, but this reminds me a little too much of the pre-release Woke preemptive counterattack against critics of the Ghostbusters rehash, the Ocean’s 8 retread, as well as The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.

Is Larson just making the proper prostrations to Progressive Wokeness that are de rigueur for contemporary Hollywood... Or is this battlespace prep to silence critics of the upcoming Captain Marvel film? Are we looking at Marvel Studio’s first flop?
If only a certain portion of an audience is "allowed" to have an opinion on the movie, shouldn't the movie only be seen by the people who are "allowed" to have an opinion? I wouldn't want to spend my money where I was not appreciated.
Shock

Post by Shock »

She didn't say you aren't allowed to have an opinion. She said she wasn't interested in hearing about it because you're not the target audience.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Shock wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:25 am She didn't say you aren't allowed to have an opinion. She said she wasn't interested in hearing about it because you're not the target audience.
If I’m not the audience, then I’m not going to be in the audience.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:09 am
Shock wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:25 am She didn't say you aren't allowed to have an opinion. She said she wasn't interested in hearing about it because you're not the target audience.
If I’m not the audience, then I’m not going to be in the audience.
I agree with you.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

That sound decidedly like trying to avoid criticism and to find an echo chamber, and sadly a tactic not dissimilar to what Marvel itself has been doing. I mean, imagine how much easier it would have been for the video game crowd if they could have just told Anita Sarkesian that "sorry, you aren't the target audience for these games, we aren't interested in hearing from you". The outrage.

But hey, what's fair is fair. We can just choose not to be interested in hearing what she has to say about anything ever again.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Money in my pocket makes me the audience ... if I choose to be the audience, so F*it. Carol Danvers is gonna bring the house down. These guys made Ant-man worth watching for chris*sakes.

What actors and over the top activist think, doesn't matter one wit ... they ain't my audience. ;)
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Marvel Studios hasn’t let me down yet. IMHO, Iron Man 3, Thor 2, and Hulk are the weakest two films to date, but they’re still perfectly good movies.

Luke Cage and Jessica Jones (S1) are their most overtly “political” offerings (which is 100% true to both characters’ long established natures) and those were far more interested in telling good stories than in being polemics.

I have high hopes for Captain Marvel, but it worries me that Larson seems to be trying to trot out the “Ghostbusters defense.”
Shock

Post by Shock »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:47 pm Marvel Studios hasn’t let me down yet. IMHO, Iron Man 3, Thor 2, and Hulk are the weakest two films to date, but they’re still perfectly good movies.

Luke Cage and Jessica Jones (S1) are their most overtly “political” offerings (which is 100% true to both characters’ long established natures) and those were far more interested in telling good stories than in being polemics.

I have high hopes for Captain Marvel, but it worries me that Larson seems to be trying to trot out the “Ghostbusters defense.”
For an unrelated movie.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Battlefield preparation.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

<places British Pith Helmet on his head,grabs Ice Pirates Sword and light Laser Pistol(That in no way looks like a Nerf Gun and Toy Sword so don't say it) and,turning towards BG says>
Well,i might as well go see it when it comes out,as i've watched ALL the other Marvel movies.Wish me luck.....
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:47 pm Marvel Studios hasn’t let me down yet. IMHO, Iron Man 3, Thor 2, and Hulk are the weakest two films to date, but they’re still perfectly good movies.

I'd agree with Thor 2, which was just boring, while Iron Man 3 wasn't a bad script,and I liked the finale a lot, but the framing didn't really work, the villain was just another rival business man/crazed inventor (the Marvel movies suffer from mirror-image foe repetition a LOT), and the payoff about Stark's PTSD was a lame joke. Also, I understand the whole China market is crucial thing, but then just don't use the Mandarin at all, rather than do the Ben Kingsley red herring.

Iron Man 2 and Hulk are straight up Saturday matinee popcorn movies full of action and straightforward plots from a 2 issue comic book arc. Nothing wrong at all, since they don't aspire to anything more.

All my best.