Solo: A Star Wars movie

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Jabroniville

Re: Solo: A Star Wars movie

Post by Jabroniville » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:19 am

Sounds like Batgirl & Ares are having two separate conversations, and that BG has interpreted Ares's post to be "the movies are better because the books were good", which he didn't say. His main point was to counter the statement that "expanding Darth Vader's story hurt the character", which he disagreed with. He's not saying the movies were better because of the books; he's saying that the books told a better story than the movies, so he's still happy the prequels got made, lest those stories wouldn't have otherwise been told.

Now... I think the Prequels were weak enough story-wise that they permanently damaged Vader's mystique and overall story. While the extra cartoons were better and improved upon that tale (Clone Wars in particular), the majority of the population only knows the "Prequel" part, so they made Vader into a joke, which should never have happened. For all the good stuff we got out of the Prequels, I still wish they hadn't been made. Or at least have been made by someone who learned how actual people talk and emote.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:39 am

Jabroniville wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:19 am
Sounds like Batgirl & Ares are having two separate conversations, and that BG has interpreted Ares's post to be "the movies are better because the books were good", which he didn't say. His main point was to counter the statement that "expanding Darth Vader's story hurt the character", which he disagreed with. He's not saying the movies were better because of the books; he's saying that the books told a better story than the movies, so he's still happy the prequels got made, lest those stories wouldn't have otherwise been told.

Now... I think the Prequels were weak enough story-wise that they permanently damaged Vader's mystique and overall story. While the extra cartoons were better and improved upon that tale (Clone Wars in particular), the majority of the population only knows the "Prequel" part, so they made Vader into a joke, which should never have happened. For all the good stuff we got out of the Prequels, I still wish they hadn't been made. Or at least have been made by someone who learned how actual people talk and emote.
And I don't disagree that the Prequels could have been better made. That was never my contention. But I think any damage they might have done to Vader is overestimated. Vader is still considered one of the best villains of all time, if not the greatest movie villain ever. He's certainly my favorite villain of all time. Most people likely saw the Prequels once and rewatched the original trilogy whenever they came on. Us geeks tend to obsess about such things, which is why I think the perception of damage is greater than it actually is.

Had it been just the Prequels expanding on Vaders character, then I agree, going into his past would have been a mistake. But the stuff that came after the Prequels or the Prequels story being told by more capable hands, to me, made going into his past worth while. I would honestly have less appreciation for Vader now if it hadn't been for the RotS novel, the Clone Wars cartoon, REBELS, the Marvel Vader comic, etc. But that's just me.

L-Space

Post by L-Space » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:25 pm

Ares wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:39 am
Jabroniville wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:19 am

And I don't disagree that the Prequels could have been better made. That was never my contention. But I think any damage they might have done to Vader is overestimated. Vader is still considered one of the best villains of all time, if not the greatest movie villain ever. He's certainly my favorite villain of all time. Most people likely saw the Prequels once and rewatched the original trilogy whenever they came on. Us geeks tend to obsess about such things, which is why I think the perception of damage is greater than it actually is.

Had it been just the Prequels expanding on Vaders character, then I agree, going into his past would have been a mistake. But the stuff that came after the Prequels or the Prequels story being told by more capable hands, to me, made going into his past worth while. I would honestly have less appreciation for Vader now if it hadn't been for the RotS novel, the Clone Wars cartoon, REBELS, the Marvel Vader comic, etc. But that's just me.
Not to mention the hallway scene of Rogue One because that just absolutely nailed how fearsome Darth Vader should be, especially against your standard soldiers.
Formerly luketheduke86