Solo: A Star Wars movie

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Batgirl III

Re: Solo: A Star Wars movie

Post by Batgirl III »

Ken wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:35 am I was gladdened when my five-year old niece, the one who knows that Boba Fett really loves Darth Vader, started whining "but how can Darth Maul be alive?!"
What? She didn't read the novels, comics, and short-story anthologies or watch three different television series and a straight-to-dvd animated feature? Such plebeian tastes don't deserve to watch Star Wars films.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:45 am
Ken wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:35 am I was gladdened when my five-year old niece, the one who knows that Boba Fett really loves Darth Vader, started whining "but how can Darth Maul be alive?!"
What? She didn't read the novels, comics, and short-story anthologies or watch three different television series and a straight-to-dvd animated feature? Such plebeian tastes don't deserve to watch Star Wars films.
That'd be impressive for a five year old.

No one in this thread said that Darth Maul's return was explained in the film or that it would make sense to anyone who hadn't seen the extended universe stuff. All anyone said was that it was explained elsewhere, and much like the references to Teras Kasi, was something for the fans. That Maul was included was obvious sequel bait and his would have been explained in follow up films.

I don't expect a five year old to understand or know any of that. I do expect you to not act like a five year old.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

You’re not the boss of me, Ares! You’re not even my real dad! 😛

(And I hope it’s obvious to everyone that I’m just “taking the piss” as the British say.)
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:49 pm And now there are reports that there will be no more “X: A Star Wars Story films.
And now Lucasfilm is saying those reports are inaccurate.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:27 am
My point was only that finding out more about Anakin Skywalker's past as a Jedi was ultimately a good thing and deepened my appreciation for the character.
This is going to have to be an "agree to disagree" point, Ares. I felt that everything we needed to know about Darth Vader was explained to us in Star Wars and then expanded upon in Empire Strikes Back. He was a brave Jedi Knight, he fell to the Dark Side, now he was twisted and evil... But there was still a spark of good in him, deep down, and Luke was able to rekindle it.

I believe the prequel films were not only bad films, I believe they were unnecessary films.
As was Rogue One and Solo: A Star Wars Story. They were literally unnecessary to the franchise as a whole. We know how they end, and our imaginations were a better device than watching Lucas with his wooden acting and inability to let his characters human correctly.

And the Box Office has spoken, Solo is an official bomb as it lost the studio a reported 80 million.