ThunderCats Roar

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: ThunderCats Roar

Post by Ares »

I don't know what it is about me, but I can honestly watch those old 80s cartoons today and enjoy them unironically. To this day I will go back and watch 80s Master of the Universe, G.I. Joe, Transformers, ThunderCats, Dungeons and Dragons, Bravestarr, Space Stars, Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, the Spiral Zone, Centurions, MASK, Thundarr the Barbarian, Visionaries, Bionic 6, Blackstar, Super Powers . . . lets just say that I have a LOT of old cartoons handy.

Then again, I'm something of an animation nut. Add to that list the old Hana-Barbera stuff like Jonny Quest, Space Ghost, the Herculoids, Birdman, Young Samson and Arabian Knights shows from the 60s and 70s, the SWAT Kats, Pirates of Dark Water, Exo-Squad, Darkwing Duck and similar shows from the 90s, and you get my point.

I will say that generally 80s era and earlier shows lacked a lot of sophistication you find in the better animated series like Batman: The Animated Series, Justice League/JLU, Samurai Jack, Gargoyles, Avatar: The Last Airbender. The older series were often written primarily to entertain children and be overall simpler in intent and execution. At the same time, a lot of these shows were also written with the idea that parents would be watching the shows with their kids, and so they'd throw in things that the older crowd could appreciate. And generally, even writers of those kinds of shows were often trying to tell the best stories they could under whatever constraints they might be working with.

And honestly, in some way those simpler stories actually help the older stories hold up better than newer attempts on the franchise. I think I actually prefer the 80s ThunderCats series over the 2011 reboot, because in some ways the reboot was just trying too hard. Hell, there are episodes of the 80s ThunderCats show that make me like Snarf.

So yeah, maybe its just me, but I honestly think a lot of those old action shows are perfectly fine, so long as you don't expect them to all be Gargoyles or Avatar: The Last Airbender. They are silly in a lot of cases and frequently simple, but to me that just means they can really be enjoyed easier, and when they do show some sophistication, that just means they can be appreciated more.

ThunderCats Roar . . . well, I'm someone who honestly prefers comedy when it's something that's added to other genres, rather than the guy who seeks out primarily comedy stuff. The most "pure" comedy I've ever watched is MST3K and Rifftrax, as well as Stand-Up Comedians. I don't generally enjoy comedy shows like Friends, How I Met Your Mother, It's Always Sunny, The Office, etc.I can watch them, I will laugh, but they don't really entice me to follow them. And when you turn something that had silly elements but was primarily a fairly straightfoward, dramatic action show into a comedy, that just annoys the crap out of me.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

And everything I said goes double when you have that He-Man/ThunderCats crossover that came out a while back that showed how you can tell modern stories with those old settings and just have them be a lot of fun.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I tried to get people to see that video earlier.

I tried. Oh my god, how I tried.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:29 pm I tried to get people to see that video earlier.

I tried. Oh my god, how I tried.
We should've listened to you,Bg,we really should've.....
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Heh- a call-out for the Thundercats outrage, containing an industry-specific insult "CalArts Style": https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/22/17381 ... n-universe

Holy shit, though- that image of the four identical faces. I don't watch many modern cartoons, so I'd missed completely that Dipper, Steven Universe, Star and that cat thing from Gumball have identical faces.

I love how the article just HAS to mention John K's recent public disgrace at the same time as it's mentioning that he invented the "CalArts Style" insult.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:20 am I love how the article just HAS to mention John K's recent public disgrace at the same time as it's mentioning that he invented the "CalArts Style" insult.
“You know who else accused his critics of using the ‘Poisoning the Well’ fallacy? Hitler! Why are you a fascist, Jab? Do you hate all minorities or just some of them?”
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:02 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:20 am I love how the article just HAS to mention John K's recent public disgrace at the same time as it's mentioning that he invented the "CalArts Style" insult.
“You know who else accused his critics of using the ‘Poisoning the Well’ fallacy? Hitler! Why are you a fascist, Jab? Do you hate all minorities or just some of them?”
It honestly wouldn't bug me if the article was written in a 100% joking sense. Or in an "*I* think _____" or "*I* think ____" style. Or even a more informal one. But it uses a more formal journalistic tone for much of the thing, but makes sure to dump on anyone complaining, and then the snark comes out of place, alongside the "John K, who by the way is an ephebophile sexual deviant, is the one who came up with using this as a derogatory term...".

The article is just tonally strange, even if the fundamental point is accurate (that the school isn't the main reason for the suckage).

It's just... that "Bean-Head" animation style, complete with ultra-stiff figures and wide-mouthed grins... too many cartoons look like that, now. At least you could get away with G.I. Joe-style for X-Men, Bots Master and any number of cartoons of the '90s because that was a default "realistic people in animation" style. But re-using the same cartoony, exaggerated styles over and over again is dumb.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:43 pm
Batgirl III wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:02 pm
It honestly wouldn't bug me if the article was written in a 100% joking sense. Or in an "*I* think _____" or "*I* think ____" style. Or even a more informal one. But it uses a more formal journalistic tone for much of the thing, but makes sure to dump on anyone complaining, and then the snark comes out of place, alongside the "John K, who by the way is an ephebophile sexual deviant, is the one who came up with using this as a derogatory term...".
Jab, word of advice. Unless the article shows you the proof, or gives links to it, AUTOMATICALLY assume it's an opinion piece. It doesn't matter where you get it from, CNN, Fox, local sources, does not matter, unless they give proof, they could (and often have of late) made stories up, tabloid style. Assume they have, right out of the gate.
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:43 pm The article is just tonally strange, even if the fundamental point is accurate (that the school isn't the main reason for the suckage).
That's just Polygon in general, a heavily, heavily alt-freakazoid lifestyle left leaning politically charged ranting blog masquerading as a news site.
Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:43 pm It's just... that "Bean-Head" animation style, complete with ultra-stiff figures and wide-mouthed grins... too many cartoons look like that, now. At least you could get away with G.I. Joe-style for X-Men, Bots Master and any number of cartoons of the '90s because that was a default "realistic people in animation" style. But re-using the same cartoony, exaggerated styles over and over again is dumb.
Because it's easy. You literally take about three to five animation sets and then repeat it as needed for the entire SERIES. Not episode, SERIES. It's designed to be used on a shoestring budget and pumped out quickly.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Oh geez.

Another of my childhood memories frakked.

The reboot a few years ago had potential, but tried too hard to outdo the original.

Why. Why. Why.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Oh great.

Really should have watched that - well, should NOT have watched it - in incognito mode. Now I'm getting recommendations of all kinds of videos for it.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document