[SPOILERS] Avengers Infinity War: Part 1

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
L-Space

Re: [SPOILERS] Avengers Infinity War: Part 1

Post by L-Space »

BriarThrone wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 4:35 am 1. Vision should have been able to beat Thanos. This version of Vision incorporates the Mind Stone. WHY THE ACTUAL FUCK is this entity, basically an extension of the Mind Stone, trying to fight with lasers? If you want your enemy to be somebody else, change their mind. In fact, there were very few ambitious, creative uses of the Infinity Stones by anybody in this movie, which seems like just a huge waste. Sure, some Plot Induced Stupidity is necessary to move the plot in the desired direction, but it makes you cringe when you spot it.
You know that's always kind of been a weird thing about the Vision in the MCU, even though he was obviously created and powered by the Mind Stone, I never think he's actually been "in control" of it.

Being a fan of the MCU Vision, I was a bit disappointed how much he got punked in this movie. They seemed to make a point of keeping him injured and useless for all of it.
Formerly luketheduke86
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Vision was always going to be an odd-fit in the MCU, with the exception of Thor, none of the other heroes have been too terribly powerful. Hulk is strongest there is, of course, but a green guy with stupendous strength is still just a strong guy. Vision is kind of closer to Superman than anything we’d seen before... the writers kind of hand to sideline him to give the “Street-Level” heroes anything to do.

Might have been nice to see him strut his stuff more during his initial fight, before getting injured. But they had a plot to get on with.

Let’s just chalk it up to Vision’s player having a bad string of dice rolls during the Prague fight scene and not being able to make it to next week’s game for the Wakanda battle. Maybe he’ll have some better dice rolls when the campaign resumes in a few months... 🤔
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I've got to say, the scene where Thanos pulled the Mind Gem out of Vision's head made me cringe. He didn't just pluck the gem off his head, HE DUG HIS FINGERS INTO HIS SKULL and ripped out part of his brain along with the gem. Jesus.

Hopefully Tony, Rocket, Bruce and Shuri will be able to put him back together.

I'm thinking that the heroes who defeat Thanos will have to share the Gauntlets power between them, and each of them will potentially get to tweak reality a little bit. Hawkeye might bring Quicksilver back, for instance. Thor will likely fix Asgard. And this will be a good chance for a soft reboot, recasting characters whose actors want to leave the series, maybe bring the Fantastic Four and X-Men into the fold, etc.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Also, Tom Holland's death scene was apparently complete improv on his part. Damn that kid's got some good acting chops and instincts.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Holland also did pretty much all of his own stunts too. With a decade of professional dance on his resumé, he’s probably the most acrobatic actor to ever don the Spidey suit.

I really, really want them to cast Summer Glau as Spider-Woman and/or Spider-Girl if they ever make a film featuring one of those characters.

Ballet dancers make great superheroes.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:57 am Holland also did pretty much all of his own stunts too. With a decade of professional dance on his resumé, he’s probably the most acrobatic actor to ever don the Spidey suit.

I really, really want them to cast Summer Glau as Spider-Woman and/or Spider-Girl if they ever make a film featuring one of those characters.

Ballet dancers make great superheroes.
I'd prefer they use a good actress first :).
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:15 am Vision was always going to be an odd-fit in the MCU, with the exception of Thor, none of the other heroes have been too terribly powerful. Hulk is strongest there is, of course, but a green guy with stupendous strength is still just a strong guy. Vision is kind of closer to Superman than anything we’d seen before... the writers kind of hand to sideline him to give the “Street-Level” heroes anything to do.

Might have been nice to see him strut his stuff more during his initial fight, before getting injured. But they had a plot to get on with.

Let’s just chalk it up to Vision’s player having a bad string of dice rolls during the Prague fight scene and not being able to make it to next week’s game for the Wakanda battle. Maybe he’ll have some better dice rolls when the campaign resumes in a few months... 🤔
I know he's strong, I just figured he wasn't SO strong that they needed to sideline him for most the movie. I was really hoping to see some cool phase/density shenanigans and have him at least trade a few blows with Thanos.
Ares wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 3:00 am I've got to say, the scene where Thanos pulled the Mind Gem out of Vision's head made me cringe. He didn't just pluck the gem off his head, HE DUG HIS FINGERS INTO HIS SKULL and ripped out part of his brain along with the gem. Jesus.

Hopefully Tony, Rocket, Bruce and Shuri will be able to put him back together.

I'm thinking that the heroes who defeat Thanos will have to share the Gauntlets power between them, and each of them will potentially get to tweak reality a little bit. Hawkeye might bring Quicksilver back, for instance. Thor will likely fix Asgard. And this will be a good chance for a soft reboot, recasting characters whose actors want to leave the series, maybe bring the Fantastic Four and X-Men into the fold, etc.
Oh god yes, that was painful looking.

I'm thinking(hoping) that Shuri had either backed up Vision's memories or had reconnected enough "neurons" that all he needs is a power source and some repairs. Heck with the technology and geniuses available it should be easy enough to put together a Arc reactor or (more comic book accurate) and Solar powered jewel.
Formerly luketheduke86
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ooh, maybe we’ll get him in his white costume (which, personally, I always thought looked better than his pied-piper green, red, yellow hodgepodge.)
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:57 pm Ooh, maybe we’ll get him in his white costume (which, personally, I always thought looked better than his pied-piper green, red, yellow hodgepodge.)
The decoloring at the end of the movie seemed to imply so.

Either that or vision is actually a Transformer.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Davies

Post by Davies »

Woodclaw wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:26 pm
Batgirl III wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 8:57 pm Ooh, maybe we’ll get him in his white costume (which, personally, I always thought looked better than his pied-piper green, red, yellow hodgepodge.)
The decoloring at the end of the movie seemed to imply so.

Either that or vision is actually a Transformer.
Actually, since we've seen him in a holographic human disguise, it's possible that his "normal" coloration is just another hologram that shut off when he powered down.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ken

Post by Ken »

You don't need "-piper". "Pied" by itself implies multi-colours.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ken wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 2:18 am
You don't need "-piper". "Pied" by itself implies multi-colours.
One is a reference to a pattern of colors, one is a literary allusion to a childish figure who wore that pattern.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I always saw people color Vision's "colorless" look as weirdly yellow, which to me always made him look like someone peed on white clothing. He was that color when I got into comics, so the "red, green & yellow" gaudy look seemed SO incredibly exotic and cool to me, like when Spidey showed up in the black costume. So I've liked that look ever since.

He looked TOTALLY awesome in Civil War with that look and regular clothes. Someone else I know actually commented on how much cooler he looks wearing normal clothes with the red skin.

PS Shuri is awesome. I find the character annoying in the comics, but her "Smug Cute Girl" act is funny. And hey, she only "showed up" Banner, who is more about radiation and energy than "removing the Mind Gem from a synthetic human being" kind of guy.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

He’s named Vision, he flies and walks through walls. He should have a ghostly color scheme to match the ghostly powers... The yellow was just a side-effect of the limits of color printing back in the day.
Ken

Post by Ken »

And it set up this great gag in the 6th issue of What the-?!

My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.