[SPOILERS] Avengers Infinity War: Part 1

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Thorpocalypse

[SPOILERS] Avengers Infinity War: Part 1

Post by Thorpocalypse »

I'm not saying anything yet, but it won't be long before I'm going to slip and say something about Infinity War that I shouldn't on the other thread so I figured I'd start this one now. I don't want to be Forbes or the asshat that has the last 2 minutes of the movie posted already on YouTube. I don't get what people get out of dropping spoilers like that.

Anyway, if you absolutely can't wait, start your ramblings here, leave the other thread be for general impressions. :)
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
statue345

Re: [SPOILERS] Avengers Infinity War: Part 1

Post by statue345 »

I would say I didn’t see it coming when Thanos won, but I think that kinda goes without saying.

What I REALLY didn’t see coming was who died. Black Panther, Spider-Man and Doctor Strange were all at the very top of my list of people who I thought they wouldn’t have the balls to kill off, but they did it.

The way they did it was amazing as well. When I saw the infinity gauntlet I thought maybe he failed somehow, but then people started dying and my heart sank.

Despite how sad the ending was, this was without a doubt my favorite marvel movie, and I can’t imagine what they’ll do next.
Ken

Post by Ken »

The film ended pretty much how I expected. I didn't know WHO was going to get it, but since I knew this was a part 1, I was pretty sure Thanos would win. I was surprised, though, when it looked like the heroes might win the day.

And Thor, go for the elbow.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Ken wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:57 am The film ended pretty much how I expected. I didn't know WHO was going to get it, but since I knew this was a part 1, I was pretty sure Thanos would win. I was surprised, though, when it looked like the heroes might win the day.

And Thor, go for the elbow.
Eh, targeting limbs is tricky when attacking from long range. Center of mass is usually the safer choice, but Thanos is probably correct that the neck would have been more effective ... though given the blade's penetration, I suspect it would only have prevented him from saying anything while he snapped his fingers.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

I really enjoyed how much struggle there was to Thanos' victory, with the heroes very nearly succeeding in stopping him twice. I had a minor fear that once Thanos had a bunch of Gems it would become a curbstomp, but it was thankfully unfounded.

Was expecting that ending, yeah, but got genuinely surprised by some of the choices on who got turned to dust. REALLY glad they did not dust Stan Lee, though ^__^

Elisabeth Olsen managed to sell me on the Vision X Scarlett Witch relationship this time, as I was not really feeling it previously.

Tom Holland really makes a fantastic Spidey, and his death scene was very good too.

I'm entirely sure that Doc Strange gave up the Time Stone to save Stark because Stark lived in the one future he saw in which they won.

The Incredible Sulk was funny and it gave space for Banner (and Ruffalo) to stretch their wings a bit. That said, I hope the emerald giant comes back at least for the final battle.

I have heard rumors that Captain Marvel was gonna be very powerful in the cinematic universe. I guess if she is the emergency plan Nick has when things are going to hell, then she will probably turn out to be at least on post-powerup Thor level, I imagine
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The only story beat that I absolutely did not see coming was the return(ish) of the Red Skull. That choice truly caught me by surprise. It was well written and well performed, but, I think Hugo Weaving would have done even better... That man just radiates Coldly Threatening Gravitas in a way only a few other actors can.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 4:14 am The only story beat that I absolutely did not see coming was the return(ish) of the Red Skull. That choice truly caught me by surprise. It was well written and well performed, but, I think Hugo Weaving would have done even better... That man just radiates Coldly Threatening Gravitas in a way only a few other actors can.
Same here. It was one of the few WTF moments for me. Not a bad idea, because it allowed prevented the introduction of a new character whose only function was to be "the misterious figure (TM)", although some people observed that it also locked away any possible future use of the Skull, which is kind of a shame.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Woodclaw wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:26 am Same here. It was one of the few WTF moments for me. Not a bad idea, because it allowed prevented the introduction of a new character whose only function was to be "the misterious figure (TM)", although some people observed that it also locked away any possible future use of the Skull, which is kind of a shame.
My sneaking suspicion is that the scene was originally conceived of with Death, Herself, as the Mysterious Figure™ and that when the decision to make Thanos' motivation less, well, comic book-y and more cinematic, they figured they needed to replace the figure but didn't want to scrap the scene.

Confirming that the Red Skull still lives, albeit on an alien planet connected to an Infinity Stone in some nebulous way, might actually open the door to his return rather than close it. The writer just needs to have a line of dialogue along the lines of "When the Avengers destroyed the Infinity Gauntlet, I was no longer trapped by the Soul Stone, and now Herr Rogers, I can fulfill mein Fuhrer's dream of conquering Hackensack, New Jersey! Muh-hahaha!"
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:38 am
Woodclaw wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:26 am Same here. It was one of the few WTF moments for me. Not a bad idea, because it allowed prevented the introduction of a new character whose only function was to be "the misterious figure (TM)", although some people observed that it also locked away any possible future use of the Skull, which is kind of a shame.
My sneaking suspicion is that the scene was originally conceived of with Death, Herself, as the Mysterious Figure™ and that when the decision to make Thanos' motivation less, well, comic book-y and more cinematic, they figured they needed to replace the figure but didn't want to scrap the scene.

Confirming that the Red Skull still lives, albeit on an alien planet connected to an Infinity Stone in some nebulous way, might actually open the door to his return rather than close it. The writer just needs to have a line of dialogue along the lines of "When the Avengers destroyed the Infinity Gauntlet, I was no longer trapped by the Soul Stone, and now Herr Rogers, I can fulfill mein Fuhrer's dream of conquering Hackensack, New Jersey! Muh-hahaha!"
This is possible.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Ken

Post by Ken »

I just wish they found a way, with Stark and Strange, for them to simultaneously say to the other "No shit, Sherlock!"
Last edited by Ken on Wed May 02, 2018 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Spidey apologizing as he disappeared in front of Tony was heartbreaking. Especially since, typical Stark-sass aside, I've always seen Tony as being proud of Peter.

Oh and I absolutely loved the Doctor Strange/Thanos fight scene, so many awesome visuals.
Formerly luketheduke86
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Turns out that I was spared by Thanos (probably because I live in the DC Universe). Did Thanos kill you?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Yep, seems like I'm dead. Well, it's been coming for a while now.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

haha, god DAMN. Really amazing movie. I like how they had an already-introduced cast, so they could focus on the villain and Cool Fightz, all of which delivered. Thanos was done INCREDIBLY well- he had all the gravitas and grandeur of a Mega-Villain. No sass. No snarking. Smirking, but not a joker. And having him kick the shit out of the Hulk in the first five minutes, even OVERPOWERING him, was your "Oh crap, this is different" moment. And his scenes with Gamora, to me, were the highlight of the film- her mixed emotions at killing Thanos, who she KNEW was a monster, but was still her father. His cruel taunts as he revealed the deception. His taunting and daring Peter to kill the woman he loves, while also knowing he could stop it at any moment. And then his real, brutal grief at his realization that she had to be sacrificed.

His "Population Theory" method checks out. Comic book-y, but not quite "I worship the actual Living Embodiment of Death", which MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT be a little too far for the films (though theoretically she could have been done as one of the Celestials, like Ego). You can see the hows and whys of what could make someone think like that. Hell, people still think like that today. And he's got just the right kind of madness to make it work.

His Mook Squad were ideal for the roles- distinctive-looking and powerful, but ultimately Jobbers To The Stars- they're there to look cool, talk smack, and then get wiped out in cool and unique ways. Absolutely perfect. I kinda liked how the one sorta-scary-maybe-kinda-hot chick went down fighting the three "Strong Women" (tm) assembled in that scene, and how Black Mass went up against the only Powerhouse.

Wanda & Vision were just kind of... flirting in their last appearance, right? This is a big leap to have a full-blown relationship.

Rocket, Drax & Mantis were great, as always. I liked the Guardians marking out/lusting over Thor, and Peter's jealous reactions. Star-Lord being an emotional ass and f*cking up the ENTIRE UNIVERSE is remarkably in-character. You could see it coming, but holy Jesus, what a dumbass.

Spider-Man's death was heartbreaking. The "I don't wanna go" bit repeated, and Stark's reaction. Total gutting.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu May 03, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The nice thing about the Thanos/Hulk fight is that Thanos doesn’t overpower Hulk, he out fights him. Thanos is using boxing techniques, good footwork, and application of leverage. Hulk smash. Strength-wise they appear to be on par, with Hulk maybe even having the edge, but Thanos is trained and controlled.