Your first "Cartoon crush"

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Davies

Re: Your first "Cartoon crush"

Post by Davies »

Ken wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:50 am
Good Lord!! Live action Mario???
I'll just put this here, all right?

<sigh> I have memories of the time the two of them teamed up with a live action Inspector Gadget that I'll probably still retain when Alzheimer's takes all the rest.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Davies wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:42 am
Ken wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:50 am
Good Lord!! Live action Mario???
I'll just put this here, all right?

<sigh> I have memories of the time the two of them teamed up with a live action Inspector Gadget that I'll probably still retain when Alzheimer's takes all the rest.
<pats Davies on the back consolingly> you poor,poor person.I thought i had it bad when i had to sit through Barney in order to watch Where In The World is Carmine Sandiego?.....
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Oh God, that Legend of Zelda cartoon. Danny of the Game Grumps summed it up perfectly: "Imagine taking this silent protagonist, a hero of two games who saved the world from evil, and when given the opportunity to give him a voice, you make him sound like the most douchey, dude-bro character imaginable."

Though at the same time, when the Nostalgia Critic did a video reviewing the show, he made some interesting points about how the series definitely tried to make Zelda a more proactive character . . . for good and for ill. They definitely didn't want to make Zelda a damsel in distress . . . but they sort of Jack Burtoned Link by making him just shy of the bumbling sidekick and jackass while she did all of the work. There's "Zelda and Link fight evil as equals" and there's "Zelda is the real hero and Link basically just a jackass who knows how to fight marginally better than her".

And while I'm not a fan of swearing in general or the term "cock tease", I did like a rant the Critic gave regarding Link and Zelda's relationship. Namely that while Link is something of a horn dog trying to get to first base with Zelda, Zelda basically treats Link with no respect and is incredibly bitchy too him, despite all he does for her and the kingdom. Instead of going "Excuuuuuuse me, Princess", the Critic went: "You know what? Why? Why do you hate me so much? Is defending all of humanity just not good enough for you, you royal piece of cock tease? I'm going to split you in half with my laser sword you no good sack of BITCH! FUCK YOU!"

It's kind of sad with all of CGI kids show and the like, no one has tried to do another Mario or Zelda series in the states. With all of the lore established you'd think they'd be able to come up with something.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Ares wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:30 pm Oh God, that Legend of Zelda cartoon. Danny of the Game Grumps summed it up perfectly: "Imagine taking this silent protagonist, a hero of two games who saved the world from evil, and when given the opportunity to give him a voice, you make him sound like the most douchey, dude-bro character imaginable."

Though at the same time, when the Nostalgia Critic did a video reviewing the show, he made some interesting points about how the series definitely tried to make Zelda a more proactive character . . . for good and for ill. They definitely didn't want to make Zelda a damsel in distress . . . but they sort of Jack Burtoned Link by making him just shy of the bumbling sidekick and jackass while she did all of the work. There's "Zelda and Link fight evil as equals" and there's "Zelda is the real hero and Link basically just a jackass who knows how to fight marginally better than her".

And while I'm not a fan of swearing in general or the term "cock tease", I did like a rant the Critic gave regarding Link and Zelda's relationship. Namely that while Link is something of a horn dog trying to get to first base with Zelda, Zelda basically treats Link with no respect and is incredibly bitchy too him, despite all he does for her and the kingdom. Instead of going "Excuuuuuuse me, Princess", the Critic went: "You know what? Why? Why do you hate me so much? Is defending all of humanity just not good enough for you, you royal piece of cock tease? I'm going to split you in half with my laser sword you no good sack of BITCH! FUCK YOU!"

It's kind of sad with all of CGI kids show and the like, no one has tried to do another Mario or Zelda series in the states. With all of the lore established you'd think they'd be able to come up with something.
After this and the Super Mario movies Nintendo is kind of ... unwilling to give anyone, anywhere another shot at their IPs.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

My first crush was an obscure character whose name still gets used on the occasional character. Catherine Kallen James she was part of an anime inspired adaption of the thunderbirds if I recall, and she got used in an anime about giant robots that featured some classic 70/80s tunes in the ost.

Add in a later crush on Scarlet of Gi joe and well there you have it
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Spam

Post by Spam »

As long as your crush wasn't played by Rosie O'Donnel in live action, you'll never know my pain.
Davies

Post by Davies »

catsi563 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:16 pm My first crush was an obscure character whose name still gets used on the occasional character. Catherine Kallen James she was part of an anime inspired adaption of the thunderbirds if I recall, and she got used in an anime about giant robots that featured some classic 70/80s tunes in the ost.
Thunderbirds 2086
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Davies wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:14 am
catsi563 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:16 pm My first crush was an obscure character whose name still gets used on the occasional character. Catherine Kallen James she was part of an anime inspired adaption of the thunderbirds if I recall, and she got used in an anime about giant robots that featured some classic 70/80s tunes in the ost.
Thunderbirds 2086
Wierdly enough,that was the first VHS Anime i ever watched(it's what turned my brother tatsuie40 into a jrpg nutjob and Japanophile).
Ah,good times in the 80's for cartoons & anime...... :)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Huh, I was WONDERING why the Thunderbirds had such a huge presence on the shelves of the Toys R Us shops I saw in Japan. They had all of the modern-day reboot stuff, but just TONS of it, while the TRUs in Canada have very little.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:39 am Huh, I was WONDERING why the Thunderbirds had such a huge presence on the shelves of the Toys R Us shops I saw in Japan. They had all of the modern-day reboot stuff, but just TONS of it, while the TRUs in Canada have very little.
Their suprisingly big in Japan,as their basically their version of G.I.Joe,only with a true international feel to the puppetry(which i thought was a neat animation trick at the time).
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Minerva Mink?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Spam wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:57 pm As long as your crush wasn't played by Rosie O'Donnel in live action, you'll never know my pain.
....she wasn't so bad in Exit to Eden. I could live with that, but yeah no as Betty

as for mine.....I'd say it was probably Rogue in the 90's X-Men cartoon. I may or may not have had earlier cartoon crushes, but none are really jumping out prior to Rogue. Then after a dream it switched from Rogue to Jubilee. Then there was Demona for a while, and after that I just went live action and lusted after Gabrielle like a normal person....at least until Project A-Ko Versus Blue Side/Grey Side when Liza showed up
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

How about Holli Would?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

and now I feel stupid.

because Holli made me remember Jessica, who yeah I really really lusted after even when I was a child, which is just...filthy
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

I've tried to dig through my memory, but I really cannot remember who my first crush really was (although many circumstancial evidences point to J.B. McBride from Bravestarr).

The one that I remember the most was She-Hulk from the '90s Hulk cartoon. I mean, I just hit puberty when I saw it and pretty much half her lines were delivered with that sultry tone ...
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)