Your first "Cartoon crush"

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
MacynSnow

Re: Your first "Cartoon crush"

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:36 am Cover-Girl was only in, like, four episodes of the cartoon. So as I kid I barely knew she existed... I think I probably confused her with Scarlet the few times she did show up. (It's not like making the red-head into a blonde was the kind of coloration mistake that was unknown in Eighties cartoons.); Jinx was cool, but she didn't show up until the movie and after the seasons that came after. She was cute, but not first "cartoon crush" levels of cute; As for Pythona, well, she was just scary looking. Like, an evil witch version of Infectious Lass.

Plus, unlike the Baroness, none of them had Destro as a partner for generating so much sexual tension. I was too young to realize what it was, but no doubt on some subconscious level I was aware of it. Given the yottabytes of fanart, cosplay, and Rule 34 devoted to Destro and the Baroness, or Destro and Lady Jaye, or Lady Jaye and the Baroness, or Destro and Lady Jaye and the Baroness... Well, obviously I'm not the only Eighties Baby to pick up on it.
Unfortunately for Cobra,they seemed to have a recruitment problem when it came to female employee's,so they have pretty slim picken's for femme fatale posting's (it was either going to be Baroness or Zaranna,so you kinda knew who was gonna win that.....).

As for the hook-up with Destro,he was always my favorite Cobra Officer's as he sounded like Sean Connery,plus you could cut the sexual tension betwixt them and Lady Jaye/Flint with a trench Knife(there was a famous episode of RAH where they all 4 got stuck on the Island of some weirdo that made them play a "survival" game so they had to work together to get off it.One famous scene,at least by joe fans,had Baroness caught kissing Flint by Jay&Destro who less than 10 minutes later got caught kissing each other).I could never see anything like that happening with Zaranna/Mainframe,as i saw that as more of the classic Romeo & Juliet thing.

Add to all this Military Soap Opera we got Covergirl trying to steal Duke away from Scarlett (why do you think she dyed her hair Red&Cut it into a short bob?) and even a thick-headed kid like me could figure something wasn't aimed at my age group.......
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

As a kid, I hated Lady Jaye, because she had... UGH... SHORT HAIR!!! Of course, watching the show as an adult, I was like "!!!!", because HOLY GOD that look suddenly became a thousand times more attractive once I attained maturity. The voice and the flirty nature helped.

Of course Young Jab was way more into the Baroness. Even back then, you knew the leather suit and long, black hair were Sexiness Personified. And I must have been like 5 or 6 when I saw that "Bikini Episode", but even then I knew that more flesh = more awesome.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Rewatching RAH in my late teens – because I was immensely bored at work – I thought I picked up a bit of lesbian subtext with Cover-Girl. She’s the only woman on the Joe team that doesn’t have a steady boyfriend or longstanding single-target flirtation... Then there’s her arguably “gay coding” with her action figure: her hair cut, her MOS – according to the filecard bio she became a tank mechanic because it was the most unfeminine job she could think of – and so on and so forth.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:32 pm Rewatching RAH in my late teens – because I was immensely bored at work – I thought I picked up a bit of lesbian subtext with Cover-Girl. She’s the only woman on the Joe team that doesn’t have a steady boyfriend or longstanding single-target flirtation... Then there’s her arguably “gay coding” with her action figure: her hair cut, her MOS – according to the filecard bio she became a tank mechanic because it was the most unfeminine job she could think of – and so on and so forth.
That's what threw a lot of fans about her,but it was explained on the filecard that she was originally a Fashion Model before enlisting when she got tired of all the Shallowness around her.Her dad was a mechanic and she fell into being a tomboy when she was growing up,so........

But i can see where the lesbian subtext could be seen,as that's what i thought for years untill i saw the episode with her&Duke alone in the desert.She could also just have really high standards for a potential boyfriend/girlfriend,you never know.....
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

That’s the wonderful thing about “gay coding,” you can never quite tell if it’s really there or not.
Ken

Post by Ken »

MacynSnow wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:24 am there was a famous episode of RAH where they all 4 got stuck on the Island of some weirdo that made them play a "survival" game so they had to work together to get off
Sounds even more intriguing this way.

But, seriously, wouldn't Destro have a hard time kissing Jaye or the Baroness or Major Blood or whomever with that metal mask?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ken wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:24 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:24 am there was a famous episode of RAH where they all 4 got stuck on the Island of some weirdo that made them play a "survival" game so they had to work together to get off
Sounds even more intriguing this way.

But, seriously, wouldn't Destro have a hard time kissing Jaye or the Baroness or Major Blood or whomever with that metal mask?
Weird thing is that mask could emote really well for solid steel,it was almost like facepaint with how it was shown in the Cartoons.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:32 pm Rewatching RAH in my late teens
These statements make me feel old. I was watching RAH, first run, in my mid-teens.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ken wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:39 pm
These statements make me feel old. I was watching RAH, first run, in my mid-teens.
You ain't the only one,ken. I was such a (and still am)GIJoe fan that i sat through The Super Mario Brothers Supershow just to watch that weeks episode......needless to say,i now have a mild fear of being stepped on by a Giant Plumber in baby blue overall's.
Ken

Post by Ken »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:42 am
Ken wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:39 pm
You ain't the only one,ken. I was such a (and still am)GIJoe fan that i sat through The Super Mario Brothers Supershow just to watch that weeks episode......needless to say,i now have a mild fear of being stepped on by a Giant Plumber in baby blue overall's.
What's The Super Mario Brothers Supershow? I'm talking about the '83 & '84 miniserieses and the '85 cartoon.

Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The Super Mario Brothers Supershow was a mix of cartoons based (very loosely) on the first two Super Mario Bros. games for the NES and live-action sketches with wrestling legend, the late great Captain Lou Albano, playing the role of Mario. On Fridays, instead of a Mario Bros. cartoon, they'd play a cartoon based (even more loosely) on the first The Legend of Zelda game. This is the origin of the "Well, ex-cuuuuse me, Princess!" meme.

Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:42 am The Super Mario Brothers Supershow was a mix of cartoons based (very loosely) on the first two Super Mario Bros. games for the NES and live-action sketches with wrestling legend, the late great Captain Lou Albano, playing the role of Mario. On Fridays, instead of a Mario Bros. cartoon, they'd play a cartoon based (even more loosely) on the first The Legend of Zelda game. This is the origin of the "Well, ex-cuuuuse me, Princess!" meme.

Good Lord!! Live action Mario???

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ken wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:50 am
Batgirl III wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:42 am The Super Mario Brothers Supershow was a mix of cartoons based (very loosely) on the first two Super Mario Bros. games for the NES and live-action sketches with wrestling legend, the late great Captain Lou Albano, playing the role of Mario. On Fridays, instead of a Mario Bros. cartoon, they'd play a cartoon based (even more loosely) on the first The Legend of Zelda game. This is the origin of the "Well, ex-cuuuuse me, Princess!" meme.

Good Lord!! Live action Mario???
And i had to sit through this little corner of Tartarus in order to watch the '83,'84miniseries' & '85 series RAH,though i will grudgingly admit to likeing the Legend of Zelda show on Fridays.....
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah, the Legend of Zelda Fridays were awesome. The rest of the show was garbage- video game special effects ALL THE TIME, FOR EVERYTHING, pretty weak voice acting, a general lack of humor from the plots, and the live action bits before and after commercial breaks were "Public Access Television" bad.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Thank God I was in college when this was on ('89-'91)