Disney / 21st Century Fox merger

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Ares
Site Admin

Disney / 21st Century Fox merger

Post by Ares »

So in big film news, it looks like Disney might be buying 21st Century Fox. There are lots of implications, but for geeks there are two big ones.

1) Marvel will get the X-Men and Fantastic Four franchises back. Not only would we get the FF and X-Men in the MCU, but the comics would no longer have the quasi-embargo against such characters.

2) The rights issues that prevent the original, unedited Star Wars trilogy would get cleared up, allowing them to be released on DVD.

Also, Chris Evans suggested a Capt. America/Human Torch buddy film.

Other thoughts on the implications of the merger?
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
MacynSnow

Re: Disney / 21st Century Fox merger

Post by MacynSnow »

Isn't illegal to have a Monopoly? Cause that's what'll happen if Disney buy's Fox.......
Ken

Post by Ken »

How is that a monopoly?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Ares wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:58 pm So in big film news, it looks like Disney might be buying 21st Century Fox. There are lots of implications, but for geeks there are two big ones.

1) Marvel will get the X-Men and Fantastic Four franchises back. Not only would we get the FF and X-Men in the MCU, but the comics would no longer have the quasi-embargo against such characters.

2) The rights issues that prevent the original, unedited Star Wars trilogy would get cleared up, allowing them to be released on DVD.

Also, Chris Evans suggested a Capt. America/Human Torch buddy film.

Other thoughts on the implications of the merger?
I'm psyched for this. Especially because with Fantastic Four that gives a pretty wide range of characters (Silver Surfer, Doctor Doom!, etc.), including some really great cosmic villains.
MacynSnow wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:22 pm Isn't illegal to have a Monopoly? Cause that's what'll happen if Disney buy's Fox.......
If you're talking about owning multiple TV networks, Disney is not gaining control of the Fox Network. They will gain control of FX and Fox's 30% share of Hulu, which gives them a majority hold on Hulu.
Formerly luketheduke86
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

But wouldn't that merger put Disney as having a monopoly on the movie industry? 21st Century Fox is their only 2 competition left now i think..... :?:
Davies

Post by Davies »

There are currently six major movie studios, including Disney and Fox -- the other four are Warner Brothers (owned by Time Warner), Universal Studios (owned by Comcast), Sony Pictures (owned by well guess), and Paramount (owned by Viacom).
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ken

Post by Ken »

Who owns MGM/United Artists?

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Davies

Post by Davies »

MGM Holdings owns the MGM studios, but the latter is apparently considered a "mini-major".
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

And with that, the Inhuman push dies an instant death.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Another important component of a "monopoly" is how said control of the particular commodity effects its ability to manipulate prices paid by the consumer.

So in this case there would have to be substantial evidence that Disney is capable of altering the prices the American theatre market. While they might have a tight grip on the so-called blockbusters it would seem there is substantial room for movie making on other scales.

One thing the keep in mind is that while profits are huge on the big hits the losses are also huge on the big misses. Disney is in a position to miss more ham others but I'd hardly call that a smart business practice. I mean how many sad ass Fantastic Four movies are going to hit the toilet before the halt production of those kind of movies ... and sad but true movie genres run in cycles. Superhero films will run their course and then Marvel Cinema's value will plummet. It's inevitable
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Not my area of knowledge at all, but isn't there a limitation on how many local stations (radio/terrestrial TV/etc.) a single company can own? I wonder if they the US government would put in a similar approach to other media.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Personally, I hope they keep the X-Men separate from the main MCU. Otherwise the universe gets a little too crowded, and they`re going to need to retcon a lot of the existing MCU to fit them together.

Keeping them apart IMO is the better idea.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Ken

Post by Ken »

But this would give Disney the ability to release the pre-special editions of the original Star Wars trilogy.

L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Ken wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:31 pm But this would give Disney the ability to release the pre-special editions of the original Star Wars trilogy.
The most important part of this deal.
Formerly luketheduke86