Justice League -

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Ken

Re: Justice League -

Post by Ken »

Well, with the cost of CGI, changes to Steppenwolf were probably well beyond his control. And, from the stills I've seen, Steppenwolf a) doesn't look like his comic counterpart b) seems pretty dorky and c) is just one of Darkseid's general's here, so...
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Watched it today and I enjoyed the HELL Out of it. SO much fun, sure it had a flaw or two not enough Aquaman or Atlantis, Steppenwolf could have been a bit more menacing though he was brutal as it was. Diana was awesome, Aquaman was awesome, MERA !!!!!! OMG MERA!!!!, Flash was fun, Cyborg needed a bit more screentime for development, no green lantern sadly though there was a lantern reference, KIRBY!! new gods and 4th world easter eggs. And a couple of brilliant easter eggs.

I hope DC really pushes this franchise because they have a lot of room to run and this movie did a great job imo of getting its foot in the door.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I'll admit,it was a pretty good movie,especially compared to how DC usually does their live-action stuff......
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

you could see a major shift in their direction and production value. the change of color pallet alone was a massive change for the better, but they also started taking them selves a little less seriously and you could tell the actors were having some fun with the movie. Henry Cavils Superman especially finally got to let his cape down a bit and have a laugh. His joking scene at the end with Cyborg "Why do my toes hurt??" left me cracking up with them.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

So, Justice League. Pretty good. Didn't have the goosebumps factor of The Avengers or Wonder Woman, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Perfect balance of humor and drama. Could've used some more flesh on the bones and time to work out some bits, but honestly, nothing here is remotely as awful as critics are making it out to be. Steppenwolf could've used some work, though I did enjoy the brief moments of sardonicism on his part ("Why do they always say that to me?").

So yeah, not nearly as bad as everyone is making it out to be, and not nearly as annoying as Thor: Ragnarok.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Man, Davies, your hate for Ragnarok is STRONG. I bow before it since you thought Justice League was better. ;)

I felt the same way about Justice League that I felt about Suicide Squad, although I enjoyed Justice League more. But basically, it was popcorn entertainment and they threw in enough Easter Eggs to appease us old school comic fans. But much as the other DCEU movies outside of Wonder Woman, the structure was poor, some of the lines were cringe-worthy and the villain was a generic CGI stiff, albiet one with a great voice. And I know DC/WB was in reaction mode with this where they had Whedon do a lot of rewriting but from a continuity standpoint, it was amazing how much they either left hanging from the preceding movies or flat out seemed to ignore.

But I don't think it was as bad as the Rotten Tomatoes score said and I hope despite the box office issues they get to move forward with the franchise now that they've done some course correction.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Davies

Post by Davies »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:38 am Man, Davies, your hate for Ragnarok is STRONG. I bow before it since you thought Justice League was better. ;)
I don't hate it. Generally, I reserve my hatred in film for things like Triumph of the Will or Birth of a Nation, where great artistry is used in the service of iniquity, or Jobs, The Wolf of Wall Street, or The Founder, which exalt wrong-doers as aspirational figures.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

I finally watched Justice League last night and it was ... okay in many ways, but it didn't work in others. While I think it's way better than I expected, given the previous attempt at a DC team movie (I don't think I'll ever be able to forget them for Suicide Squad), but it still didn't really hit the mark for me.
Most of the movie works, although with a lot of bumps along the road. I like the fact that they removed most of the de-saturation filter and I really enjoyed Superman finally having the chance of being closer to the way I imagine the character. The rest of the cast was a bit hit or miss based on the scene, but the overall alchemy was there.

The biggest problem I got with the movie is that it falls into one of the biggest pitfalls of team-building movies: too much to do. In my opinion a team movie has to operate on three levels: establishing characters, assembling the team and telling the story. Justice League needed to introduce three brand new characters -- one seminal to the plot (Cyborg) -- while taking these six loners and making them into a credible team, all the while telling a massive story about the end of the world. Overall they did a semi-decent job, if one is willing to overlook some really big plot-convenient moments (Aquaman arriving at Gotham Harbor), but I'm not sold on the Leaguers the same way I was with the Avengers.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Ken

Post by Ken »

I saw it tonight, despite my earlier reservations, and I really enjoyed it.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I saw it earlier this week, and I thought it was a decent action flick, had some fun with it, but wasn't anywhere near as good or as much fun as something called "Justice League" should have been. It's definitely the best DCEU film after Wonder Woman, and there were moments I genuinely enjoyed, but overall it's like a sub-standard Marvel Movie.

It was nice to see Superman smile and be concerned with civilians, it was nice to see that damn color filter go away, Cyborg and Aquaman were done decently well, I loved the "Alliance of Men, Atlanteans, Amazons, Olympians, Green Lanterns and others" scene, the action was pretty solid and easy to follow, everyone was generally less of a jerk this time around, and overall it wasn't bad. It was good to see a lot of the movie show the heroes saving civilians, and there was none of the "luckily this area is abandoned" stuff from Batman v. Superman. The scene where Aquaman sat on Diana's lasso was funny. Deathstroke looked pretty cool and spot on at the end. Some of the interaction between Cyborg and the Flash was actually pretty nice.

On the downside, I HATED this version of the Flash soooooo much. This Barry did nothing but annoy the crap out of me. I hated the "Bay-formers" look Cyborg had, and got annoyed how he actually got a decent looking body right at the end. Steppenwolf wasn't a bad-threat, but again felt like a sub-par Marvel villain, like Ronan or Malaketh. Batman came off as less effective here in some ways, and I was hoping we'd see more "comic Batman" type stuff of using his utility belt and skill to compensate against the Parademons. They had a chance to replace Jesse Eisenberg with a decent Lex Luthor and they didn't take it. J. K. Simmons didn't really sell his role as Jim Gordon to me. Cyborg just randomly accessing the Bat Computer is just dumb, and I'm generally not a fan of Vic being in the Justice League rather than the Titans.

Overall there was a lot more that I liked than hated about this film, but as of right now, Wonder Woman is the only DCEU film I feel is on par with an "average" Marvel Studios film.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Another thing that kind of bugged me about the movie was how powerful Superman was portrayed compared to the rest of the characters in the movie. Now granted, Aquaman, Cyborg and Batman shouldn't be really close to Superman in terms of power (unless Aquaman's magic trident comes into play), but Wonder Woman and Steppenwolf likewise weren't treated as real threats to him, whereas in the last movie Diana was hanging with frickin Doomsday.

Without Superman, the battle against Steppenwolf was treated like a real, dire threat that could end the world. When Superman showed up, it was with the air of a parent watching as a 12 year old was bullying some 7 and 8 year olds, complete with "Is this guy picking on you?", before swatting Steppenwolf aside. There really wasn't anything in that film that could threaten Superman personally in the film.

Contrast with either Avengers movie. In the first one, Thor and the Hulk were roughly on an even level, and both of them outclassed main villain Loki, but Loki wasn't personally the biggest threat in the film, his army was. And that army was capable of threatening even the Hulk. Likewise, in Avengers 2, Ultron was able to take on Thor convincingly, requiring a combined force of Thor, Vision and Iron Man to damage Ultron enough that the Hulk could deal with him.

Basically, Superman just killed the tension in a way the Marvel heroes never did because Superman effectively made the rest of his teammates redundant.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

I think that can be chalked up to Geoff Johns. From what I understand, he had a pretty heavy influence on the film.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

I've been a bit of detractor towards this film, but I'll admit that I did enjoy the movie. I'd go into more detail, but honestly Ares already touched on most of the things I liked/disliked about it for the most part.

I liked that someone realized that it was ok for Superman to smile, joke around, and even be bit corny if need be. Also Henry Cavill has charisma when he's not being forced to be all gloomy.

Disappointed in the Flash, he had a couple of decent moments, but for most part he was kind of annoying. Also, was it just me or did he run really weird?
Formerly luketheduke86
Davies

Post by Davies »

Incidentally, if you, like me, found the K-Pop music video playing during Bruce and Barry's first conversation more interesting than the conversation, here it is in its entirety. You are on your own when it comes to lyrics, I only listen to the stuff for the melody.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ken

Post by Ken »

Ares wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:09 pm Without Superman, the battle against Steppenwolf was treated like a real, dire threat that could end the world. When Superman showed up, it was with the air of a parent watching as a 12 year old was bullying some 7 and 8 year olds, complete with "Is this guy picking on you?", before swatting Steppenwolf aside. There really wasn't anything in that film that could threaten Superman personally in the film.
Except, Superman didn't actually defeat Steppenwolf.

Steppenwolf was dancing with Diana, Arthur, and Vic, but primarily with Diana, with neither side gaining much ground, though Steppenwolf, being born to be wild, was confident he would win. Then Superman, arrived, and yes, Clark turned the tide. But we didn't get Superman v. Steppenwolf. We got Steppenwolf being disarmed and losing his bravado and being ready to turn and run.

The threat was the "can we separate the Mother Boxes", which Superman indicated did hurt. Now, did we know Superman and Cyborg would survive it, yes. I knew James Bond would survive the dirty Nuke in Goldfinger.

And as far as the League vs Superman, remember, Superman woke up on the wrong side of the bed that day. He was angry. Conversely, the League... the League 1) really didn't want to hurt the guy they just went through so much effort to revive and 2) didn't want to make Clark more angry. Could Diana of hurt him? Based on BvS, probably. But she hadn't reached the point in the fight where she HAD to.