Thor: Ragnarok

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
danelsan

Thor: Ragnarok

Post by danelsan »

LIGHT SPOILERS AHEAD

Seen the movie recently. Waaaay better than the first two movies, through there is one secondary character that could stand to be better developed. Also, if you are particularly attached to the supporting cast of Planet Hulk you should go in prepared to have them pretty much entirely rewritten.

I'm fine with that thought. If you are gonna radically change an established character's personality in order to fit a different role in a story, might as well do it to a relative nobody like Korg instead of doing a Bendis and altering an important character with tons of history.

The movie has a lot of laughs in it, but I felt some of the humor was misplaced. You shouldn't do a comedy scene out of the introduction of freaking Surtur, you know?

Hela is reinterpreted as a mega-badass warrior instead of more of a sorceress-goddess, with her magic mostly consisting of making a fuckton of blades to throw around, and it works well in the context of the movie. While the role itself is a bit shallow, Kate Blanchett does wonders with it.

Speaking of badass warriors, the action and particular the fight scenes are very good in this. My favorite the Hulk X Thor gladiatorial match.

All things considered it is no Cap II or Avengers III, but solid entertainment I'd be willing to recommend to fans of superheroes.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Thor: Ragnarok

Post by Ares »

I had a lot of fun with it, though my favorite Marvel films are still Avengers 1 and Capt. America 1, 2 and 3. But Thor 3 gets props for being a bit more fun, having much more of an epic/high powered feel, and having extreme changes happen in the setting. I won't talk spoilers until next week to give folks a chance to watch it, but I liked it quite a bit.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Davies

Post by Davies »

I didn't really care for it much, it seemed like it had too much crammed into it and I found the humor often kind of juvenile. But I am apparently one of the five people on Earth who enjoyed Thor: Dark World and thought Guardians of the Galaxy was overrated, so my tastes are clearly off. ;)
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Zero Prime

Post by Zero Prime »

My son and I just returned from seeing this, and I have to say it was thoroughly enjoyable; there was certainly more Guardians-like humor worked into it, however, as someone who has the Walt Simonson's Thor omnibus proudly displayed in my bookcase, I have to say one scene in specific stood out to me paying homage to Simonson's epic narrative;
And though the executioner stands alone ...
and the warriors of Hel seem numberless ...
not one sets foot on the bridge across the River Gjoll.
They sing no songs in Hel.
Nor do they celebrate heroes ...
for silent is that dismal realm and cheerless ...
but the story of the Gjallerbru and the god who defended it is whispered across the Nine Worlds ...
and when a new arrival asks about the one to whom even Hela bows her head ...
the answer is always the same ...
he stood alone at Gjallerbru ...
and that is answer enough.
I might have teared up a little. Just sayin'
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

I thought it was great popcorn entertainment. Big, goofy fun, with just enough subplot to give the film some gravity. But as a sci-fi comedy adventure, it was top notch. It's no landmark achievement but it was fun as hell and something I will watch multiple times because it's not a major investment in time or emotion, like a lot of the Marvel movies.

And my Angela in Heven, Tessa Thompson was great. I loved her brief appearances (so far) in Westworld, but she was a scene stealer in this movie.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Ken

Post by Ken »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:44 am Tessa Thompson was great. ... she was a scene stealer in this movie.
AMEN!!!
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

I'm with everyone else on the movie being just plain FUN with a capital FUN. Its got great humor and for all the slightly grim subplot it does a great job of not taking itself too seriously just like Guardians and Antman did.

All told highly enjoyable and buckets of laughs.

The scene with the Executioner when I saw him holding Des and Troy I about flipped in my chair because I knew that scene had to be coming.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I just saw it- a solid popcorn movie. Though I feel that the trailers shown on TV and at the Disney Store spoiled WAY too many of the best and funniest jokes.

Thor's conversation with Surtur was annoying- Thor gave WAY too much sass-talk and turned that scene into a joke, when this guy is THE Big Bad of Norse Myth. Seeing Lex Luthor/Rapunzel's Dad as the Fire Demon of Muspelheim was pretty funny, though.

Cate Blanchett is one of those older women of whom I'd never really gotten the appeal- I knew a lot of nerds who drooled over her, but she didn't set off my thing for older ladies at all. But I think I left a couple gallons of drool on the theatre floor here. HOLY CRAP.

Jesus, the Warriors Three. And did Sif die in the second movie or something? Or were there too many Blade Chicks in this movie already.

The Valkyrie was a fun character. The alcoholism/ladette character was amusing.

Goldblum essentially played himself, and he didn't really appear Elder-y.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:44 am I thought it was great popcorn entertainment. Big, goofy fun, with just enough subplot to give the film some gravity. But as a sci-fi comedy adventure, it was top notch. It's no landmark achievement but it was fun as hell and something I will watch multiple times because it's not a major investment in time or emotion, like a lot of the Marvel movies.
I'm going to be that one guy once again and say that I really didn't enjoy the movie that much. It had it's moments, but I think that they had been pushing the slapstick button way too much. Some of it was good (I really liked the trick Thor used to reveal Odin-Loki) some of it was completely unnecessary (the ball rebound in Hulk's room), but the problem was that there was just too damn much, except for the bits with Heimdall it felt like nobody could go one minute with cracking a stupid joke of some kind.

The one bit that gave me the most pause was: how does this movie contributed to the overall meta-plot of the entire franchise? The answer, for me, is not much. It's entirely possible that the distruction of Asgard will have other consequences in the near future, but at the moment it feels like it won't.
Jabroniville wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:44 am Jesus, the Warriors Three. And did Sif die in the second movie or something? Or were there too many Blade Chicks in this movie already.
I think this movie is supposed to happen while Sif is on Earth, suffering amnesia and working for the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Summing up, as an entertainment movie it was okay-ish, but not memorable. I think that Thor as a potential for comedy, but not in the same vein or style as Guardians or Spider-man do, less slapstick and more stick-in-the-mud jokes.
Hela was an impressive villain and Cate Blanchett literally exuded menace while playing her. Unfortunately that came at the price of seeing the Warriors Three one-shoted like extras in a '80s action flick.
Skurge didn't fare much better being more or less a giant ineffective bumbler and, for me, the Simonson's homage scene left a bad aftertaste in my mouth. The last stand of the Executioner is one of those moment that you simply can't top, I rank it as the most epic death sequence in the history of comics. The worst thing for me is that if they put that sequence just a few minutes earlier it would have been so much better in my mind. Picture this: we already saw Skurge being unhappy about killing his fellow Asgardians, so he's leading Hela's soldiers to the Bifrost, they catch up to them and in that moment Skurge turns and start smashing the freaking undead just to give the Heimdall time to get everyone to safety. It's just my personal taste, but I think that changing things this way would have made for a much more heroic last stand and a hint of redemption, rather than the one we got, which felt like he was just saving his own skin.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)