Lead cast for Shazam! film.

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Lead cast for Shazam! film.

Post by Ares »

Its not the "look" of the costume I have an issue with. Like I said in the follow up post, it actually looks like a classic superhero costume. They might change it in post with CGI, but as of now, it lacks any unnecessary or weird texturing, any overly complex lines or designs, Hell, he actually has yellow boots.

My problem is the era the costume is taken from, the storyline responsible for it. It'd be like if the Wonder Woman movie would have had Diana dressed in her biker outfit from the 90s. Now, maybe that's just Cap's initial outfit and later on he'll change it to make it more of bis own. But right now, all this tells me is that the version of Capt. Marvel that the larger media is going to be exposed to, is the Nu-Shazam version. And that just depresses me.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ken

Post by Ken »

The fact that Newsweak referred to the "untitled Shazam film" is a sign of hope.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

Closeup shot:

The texture looks like it might be the same as for Cavill's Superman outfits.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I like the Mr. Tawny faces on the cape clasps.

I'd still prefer Beck's design, but I think Levi looks the part.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Ken wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:12 am I'd still prefer Beck's design, but I think Levi looks the part.
He just needs to squint more.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Levi definitely has the look for Cap, I can agree with that no problem.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

And another one!

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Gah, this is frustrating. I like the general look Levi has going there, the cape's a good length, it's a nice bright red for the suit . . . but it's the frickin Nu-Shazam look.

Urgh. I need to counterbalance it.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I will admit, the Nu-Shazam look actually works for Black Adam, with some modifications. If you get rid of the cape, unnecessary lines, and the glowing chest hole with a proper Shazam-bolt, it doesn't look half bad on Adam.

If you put Adam in that outfit and Cap in his classic outfit, it makes it so that all the wielders of the Power of Shazam have the same general appearance (single color body suit, Shazam bolt on the chest, gold decorations on the wrists, feet and waist), but the actual designs can change depending on the wielders sense of style. Adam's look is based on ancient Egypt, while Cap's look is based on the old Film Serials his dad use to watch with him, hence the cape.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

So, I've been thinking about the Shazam! film, because that's what DC has done to me since Infinite Crisis: I can no longer just hope the next appearance of Billy Batson will be a good one, I need to analyze it, think about what the ramifications of it will be, etc. Specifically, I've been thinking about what the presentation of Billy and his alter-ego will be, and what the films success or failure would mean for the Marvel Family.

The worst case scenario I can see is if this film is basically a complete re-telling of Curse of Shazam (with Billy being an emo-punktard who transforms into Nu-Shazam, lightning leaking out of his chest until he starts zapping people with them Lightning Lad style), and the film is a smash success. It gets rave reviews, people saying how this is the best version of the character ever, that he's so relateable and cool, etc. Because then that not only means that's the version of Billy we'll be seeing from now on, but that my version of Billy is likely dead and buried for the next 10+ years. If that happens, I might vanish from here for a while. Any sudden outbreak of mysterious fires being started will be completely coincidental.

A weirder situation would be if this film actually got everything right about Billy Batson and Cap, but still had the trappings of Curse of Shazam. Like, Billy is still a sweet, optimistic, empathic, brave and clever kid who transforms into an adult with the Wisdom of Solomon and the Strength of Hercules, that his adult form acts like classic Captain Marvel, but he has the look and name of Nu-Shazam. I'm honestly not sure how I'd feel about that. Because it'd mean they got everything right but the look and the name, and I should be happy with that, but it'd still mean he's called "Shazam" and it'd have all of the problems associated with that.

There's also the problem of if the movie just flat out bombs. If that happens, then DC/Warner Bros. will just shelve the character for another 5-to-10 years, figuring that there's something wrong with the character rather than how they're portraying him. I basically need this to be a middling film with mixed reviews, something that shows them that the Shazam franchise is viable, but that this presentation doesn't work.

Now, the best case scenario is that the writer/director are pulling a fast one. That Cap initially has the nu-Shazam look but changes it during the course of the film, possibly after seeing Black Adam in his own dark version of the outfit. Billy decides that he needs his own look and just goes for something more classic. I'd also give this movie a 5 star review if on getting his new powers Billy goes, "Well, I can't call myself Shaza-erm, that word as my hero name. Naming myself something I can't say would just be dumb. How about . . . Captain Marvel/Thunder?"

Because at this point, I would gladly welcome them just changing his name to Captain Thunder over Shazam. Make Mary into Lady Thunder and Freddy into Lieutenant Thunder and BAM, I'm good.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

bsdigitalq wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:05 pm
If I had to guess, the pure yellow on the outfit (the lightning bolt on the chest, the little squares on the arm-bands) are going to be CGI'ed so that they're constantly crackling with lightning. Now, I actually like it when someone like Alex Ross has the gold on Cap's outfit crackle with lightning, because usually it only happens when Cap is really pushing himself, which I take as a visual cue of him tapping into the Power of Zeus to really exert himself. It's something he only does when he's fighting all out. Nu-Shazam has this lightning shaped hole in his chest that is constantly leaking electricity, where you wonder if it's safe to touch him.

bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

Hmm.

Ken

Post by Ken »

https://www.facebook.com/youdontreadcom ... tion=group

Mr. Levi's language gets more than a little salty, but please note how he refers to his character near the end.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Hmmm. Well, if this movie gets everything right about Captain Marvel but the costume, I'd consider that a win. With the exception of Wonder Woman, I haven't liked any of the DCEU outfits, and they can always change the outfit later. If they get everything else right about Cap, his personality, his name, his powers, the right tone, etc., then I could write the outfit off as an acceptable loss.