Lead cast for Shazam! film.

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
L-Space

Lead cast for Shazam! film.

Post by L-Space »

News here.

EDIT: In unrelated news, I don't know how to edit a thread's titles.
Last edited by L-Space on Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly luketheduke86
Davies

Re: Lead cast for [i]Shazam![/i] film.

Post by Davies »

Unless they call him Captain Marvel, I'm not interested.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ken

Re: Lead cast for [i]Shazam![/I] film.

Post by Ken »

Well, the article doesn't directly call Billy's alter-ego "Shazam" and it doesn't call him "Captain Marvel" so there is hope.

The part I'm feeling smug about is that I started saying five years ago that they should get Levi to play Billy's adult alter ego. Then again, I also said they should get Joshua Rush to play Billy. Rush may be too old to play Billy now, I don't know.

I just know that watching scenes of Zachary Levi's Chuck (on "Chuck") fighting Brandon Routh's character put me in mind to look at Levi as the Captain.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Thorpocalypse

Re: Lead cast for [i]Shazam![/i] film.

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Davies wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:02 am Unless they call him Captain Marvel, I'm not interested.
Sorry, Davies. From everything I've seen, they're going with Shazam to avoid confusion with Marvel's Captain Marvel.

I'm still looking forward to it, though.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Davies

Re: Lead cast for [i]Shazam![/I] film.

Post by Davies »

Ken wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:34 pm Well, the article doesn't directly call Billy's alter-ego "Shazam" and it doesn't call him "Captain Marvel" so there is hope.
Cue bitter laughter.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Lead cast for Shazam! film.

Post by Ares »

L-Space wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:54 am News here.

EDIT: In unrelated news, I don't know how to edit a thread's titles.
Fixed that for you. It should be possible to edit a thread title by editing the first post.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

And I don't know the actor well enough to feel anything about this decision. Again, I'm mostly indifferent because its going to be a "Shazam film" rather than "Capt. Marvel in a Shazam film" . I don't know if it'll be based on the Nu-52 or what.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Ares wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:55 am And I don't know the actor well enough to feel anything about this decision. Again, I'm mostly indifferent because its going to be a "Shazam film" rather than "Capt. Marvel in a Shazam film" . I don't know if it'll be based on the Nu-52 or what.
If it helps here's concept art of him and Levi even refers to him as the original Captain Marvel, which is bonus points for the actor in my book.

Thanks for the title edit Ares.
Formerly luketheduke86
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

L-Space wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:55 am
Ares wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:55 am And I don't know the actor well enough to feel anything about this decision. Again, I'm mostly indifferent because its going to be a "Shazam film" rather than "Capt. Marvel in a Shazam film" . I don't know if it'll be based on the Nu-52 or what.
If it helps here's concept art of him and Levi even refers to him as the original Captain Marvel, which is bonus points for the actor in my book.

Thanks for the title edit Ares.
No problem. Levi's reference definitely gets major props from me. Honestly, if DC had faith in the character, they'd call him Captain Marvel DESPITE Marvel Comics doing a Carol Danvers movie and having Carol as Capt. Marvel in Marvel. Because Marvel's Captain Marvel comic is TANKING hard, has been canceled multiple times, but they keep relaunching it with progressively worse writing and a progressively less feminine Carol because they want to make Carol their Wonder Woman (which I'm honestly not against), but don't know how to do it.

If DC could produce a solid comic with Captain Marvel (not Nu-Shazam), and a movie that does at least as well as Carol's film, can you imagine what kind of an upset that would be for them?

That concept art tho . . . man . . . I mean, it's not as bad as the Injustice costume, but yikes. Do not want.

Ken

Post by Ken »

Concept art, nnnn. But please note Mr. Levi's words about "bringing the original Captain Marvel to life". It's not a guarantee, by any stretch, but at least when the lead actor is getting the lead character's name right, there's hope.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Wow that outfit seems terrible.
Why does a magical bad ass need body armor?

Of course this also flashes back to the question of why Superman needs body armor.
Because people will think he looks silly if he's not wearing body armor? Heaven forbid we feel silly about watching a show were a little boy turns into a magical grown man, flying around fighting an evil tigerman with his ever expanding team of family members and friends.
Wait, hold on a second... did the magical girl genre of anime originate from Captain Marvel?
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

I'm not sure this is actually concept art from the movie's production. I did not research too much, but this bosslogic person doesn't immediately appear to be working on the movie. I think it is just some fanart. Of course, Zachary posted it alongside his comment, likely meaning he liked it, which may be a bad sign if he has any influence on the costume design for his character.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

danelsan wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:35 am I'm not sure this is actually concept art from the movie's production. I did not research too much, but this bosslogic person doesn't immediately appear to be working on the movie. I think it is just some fanart. Of course, Zachary posted it alongside his comment, likely meaning he liked it, which may be a bad sign if he has any influence on the costume design for his character.
"Concept art" was probably a misleading term for me (and CBR) to use, since it's probably far from official. Even though I'm not big fan of the suit itself, it did help convince me that Zachary Levi could pull it off.

I'm curious who they're going to cast to play Billy Batson. I'm usually pretty iffy about child/teen actors, but Stranger Things and IT have shown that there's some good ones out there.
Formerly luketheduke86
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

L-Space wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:17 pm I'm curious who they're going to cast to play Billy Batson. I'm usually pretty iffy about child/teen actors, but Stranger Things and IT have shown that there's some good ones out there.
Similar situation for me, except I have not watched IT and I'm probably the only nerd born in the 80s that didn't care about Stranger Things. But I did watch Logan and holy crap that kid Dafne Keen is a way better little actress than I expected.
Ken

Post by Ken »

There's an actor named Joshua Rush who played "young Chuck" in a handful of "Chuck" episodes. He was a believable younger-version-of-Zachary-Levi. The only problem is that he's already 15, so he may be a little long in the tooth.