Anyone watching the Ken Burns docu-series "The Vietnam War"?

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Jabroniville

Anyone watching the Ken Burns docu-series "The Vietnam War"?

Post by Jabroniville »

Pretty interesting stuff, especially about the war's early days, and how America more or less casually got into it, and LBJ pushing forward while admitting he had no idea what he was doing.

I can't wait to get to the part where the troops come home, and we can put a point on what actually happened to them. I've heard a lot about how the whole "Baby Killers" thing was a fake, and never actually happened to guys coming home.
MissRo

Re: Anyone watching the Ken Burns docu-series "The Vietnam War"?

Post by MissRo »

Where does it air, Jab? That was a really fascinating point in time.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

PBS- it's been airing over the past week, but there are repeats.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Ken Burns is a National treasure. I caught some of it and need to catch up. From my uncle point of view he said the smaller towns/cities were more welcoming and the larger ones were more apt to be vocal on the whole baby killer narrative the media had pushed.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

"One of the things that I learned in the war was that we aren't the top species on the planet because we're NICE. We are a very aggressive species- it is in us. And people talk a lot about how, well, the military turns kids into, you know, killing machines and stuff. And I will always argue that it's just finishing school. What we do with civilization is that we learn to inhibit and rope in these aggressive tendencies. And we have to recognize that. I worry about a whole country that DOESN'T recognize that. Because think about how many times we get into scrapes as a nation because we're always the good guys. Sometimes I think that if we thought we weren't always the good guys, we'd get in less wars."
-one of the Marines