Marvel's Defenders Netflix series

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Ares
Site Admin

Marvel's Defenders Netflix series

Post by Ares »

So it's finally here! I've been looking forward to this for a while now, fingers crossed for how they pull this off.

Admittedly, part of me is a little worried as well. Daredevil was the only one of the four shows I'd consider an unqualified success. Jessica Jones was great psychological drama that dealt frankly with topics like rape, but it was boring at times and dragged towards the end. Luke Cage had a solid protagonist, but the villains were either lackluster or scenery chewers, and it also dragged in the end. Iron Fist was slow in the start and Finn Jones needs some work to still capture the role, but it made.the boardroom stuff actually interesting, the fights were pretty solid and it picked up towards the end.

I'm going to binge this series soon, but I wanted this here for anyone who has seen it to talk about. Have fun.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Corrigon

Re: Marvel's Defenders Netflix series

Post by Corrigon »

About halfway through it, though I've only seen Daredevil and half of Iron Fist.

Enjoying it so far. The interplay between Iron Fist and Luke Cage is nice.

Most of the supporting cast has so far appeared in episode one and then sidelined for now. Finn Jones has improved as Iron Fist. The fight scenes are more dynamic involving him and whilst all 4 main characters get their own spotlight, Daredevil is still the most interesting of them.
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

I have seen it. I thought that it was pretty good.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I'm four episodes in. I'm enjoying it.

Oddly, I haven't seen any of the other related series.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

I didn't have the same problems with Iron Fist that many people did. I recognized that the criticisms were valid, but I didn't actually care about those issues or agree that they were a problem. In Defenders, I feel that these problems were largely addressed. I feel that the fight scenes were better choreographed and/or Finn Jones was better trained for his role, and I felt that his personality interacted with the more down-to-earth heroes in an interesting way. He was still quite different from them, but it created an interesting contrast that I feel more viewers would enjoy. I can see how it would be hard for most of the audience to relate to Danny in his own show, but Danny as the weird outsider in a group full of oddballs? That's fun.

That pretty much encapsulates how I feel about the series. It was a lot of fun watching the characters interact. I was there entirely for the chemistry, and it didn't disappoint. I felt that the story was a secondary concern, but I feel that it was a good story, well told, excellently paced, and sets up elegantly for continuation.
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

I enjoyed the series a lot especially the interaction between the main characters, Luke and Danny did play well off each other. Some of the story line didn't really make sense to me and that is probably cause I have only watched all of Daredevil and just bits of the other shows :)

I did feel the "you wouldn't believe me if I told you" response is wearing thin.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Gilliam wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:42 am I enjoyed the series a lot especially the interaction between the main characters, Luke and Danny did play well off each other. Some of the story line didn't really make sense to me and that is probably cause I have only watched all of Daredevil and just bits of the other shows :)

I did feel the "you wouldn't believe me if I told you" response is wearing thin.
I agree, but think about it: in a world that hasn't yet learned to adjust to a reality of superheroes, how irritating would it be trying to explain to the baseline folk about covert alien invasions, immortal ninja death cults, etc?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

In a way, it does make some degree of sense that people would be skeptic about things like magic, resurrection, immortal ninja cults, chi and the like in the MCU. Captain America was the first known superhero, Iron Man the first modern one, both of whom owe theid abilities to science. The Incident / Alien Invasion was, again, something explainable via science. The other big threats to the world have been things like killer robots, while as far as any of the public are concerned, all of the Avengers abilities are based on science or alien super science.

So naturally, whenever anyone displays superhuman abilities, the gut reaction is to explain it as some kind of weird science. Its the "Okay, demons and gods and magic were either early superhumans or aliens" mindset, instead of accepting that magic and the supernatural might also exist alongside super science.

Its an excuse I would use in my own setting to explain why urban fantasy / supernatural / magic stuff exists in secret even in a superhero setting.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.