Guardians of the Galaxy 2

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Saw it last night. Really liked it. Not as good as the first one and there were some definite issues with plot and pacing, and Marvel continues to move forward with sub-par villains, but I loved the overall character development and the humor. Some of the cameos were fantastic. I love being the guy that gets to answer "OK, who was that why did you squeal when you saw them?" questions from the Mrs. and Young Thorpocalypses. 8-)

And my god, Disney is going to sell so much Baby Groot merch, it's going to be insane. I may even have to buy that Dancing Groot toy for my desk.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
catsi563

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Post by catsi563 »

I saw it too But personally I felt it was just as good as the first, it kept all the elements that made the first so awesome. The quirky sense of humor, the self deprecation, the awesome connections to the rest of the MCU the umpteen hundred easter eggs all well placed. I spent most of the movie laughing my tail off, or squeeeing with delight over the appearance of some character or another.

Thoroughly enjoyed the movie and highly recommend it to anyone who wants to see it.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Just came back from seeing it, and yeah- it's awesome. Basically non-stop jokes and references, but not enough to ruin the occasional dramatic moments- it's actually funny how the movie with the friggin' baby tree and the trash-panda are can manage better "sad moments" than the Grimdark DCU stuff.

Once again they utterly change entire character personalities and origins- Mantis in particular is NOTHING like her comic book self. Which is of course a benefit. It's funny how sometimes they literally just take a name and one concept (Yondu) and make them into something else (trashy space bounty hunter instead of a Native American Stereotype). Funny how Batista steals the movie, yet basically doesn't get into a single real fight scene after the first bit :).

Tazerface is excellent. I'm so happy I once statted him.

The final bit is basically 100% special effects flying around, and the plot is extremely predictable, but MAN the character development is on point in this one.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

I enjoyed this very much. I feel Drax stole the show in my opinion. Not going to spoil anything but am I the only one that thought the old couple in the blue car was ...well something more than innocent civilians?
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Loved it. Not a perfect movie by any means, but it was great fun and definitely a worthy sequel to the first one. I particularly liked Drax and Yondu. "I'm Mary Poppins y'all!" So many great lines in this movie :D.
Formerly luketheduke86
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

It's not time to make a change
Just relax, take it easy
You're still young, that's your fault
There's so much you have to know
Find a girl, settle down
If you want you can marry
Look at me, I am old, but I'm happy

I was once like you are now
And I know that it's not easy
To be calm when you've found
Something going on
But take your time, think a lot
Think of everything you've got
For you will still be here tomorrow
But your dreams may not

How can I try to explain?
When I do he turns away again
It's always been the same, same old story
From the moment I could talk
I was ordered to listen
Now there's a way
And I know that I have to go away
I know I have to go

It's not time to make a change
Just sit down, take it slowly
You're still young, that's your fault
There's so much you have to go through
Find a girl, settle down
If you want you can marry
Look at me, I am old, but I'm happy

All the times that I've cried
Keeping all the things I knew inside
It's hard, but it's harder to ignore it
If they were right I'd agree
But it's them they know, not me
Now there's a way
And I know that I have to go away
I know I have to go
PeterBeash

Post by PeterBeash »

In some ways the Guardians of the Galaxy movie is almost necessary for the Marvelverse despite its relative obscurity. By that I mean that the usual in to the cosmic stuff would be the Fantastic Four, plus their villains. But those arent available, leaving a dearth of really obvious options to bring the wider universe into the films, and this kind of oddness is going to be a relatively easily sell if its done even halfway right.

And yeah, it looks good.