The Last Jedi, possibly solved

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
danelsan

The Last Jedi, possibly solved

Post by danelsan »

Since the reveal of episode IX's title as "The Last Jedi", I have seen some discussion regarding who is that Jedi. Is the title referring to Luke? Is it hinting at Luke's death, leaving a now trained Rey as the last one?

Well, today I found out what is the translated title here in Brazil, and it is Star Wars: Os Últimos Jedi

Now, "os últimos" translate into English as "the last" so no surprise there. However, "os últimos" means it is plural "the last".

It just so happens that the plural of Jedi is also Jedi.
FuzzyBoots

Re: The Last Jedi, possibly solved

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:10 pm Image
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

danelsan wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:49 pm Since the reveal of episode IX's title as "The Last Jedi", I have seen some discussion regarding who is that Jedi. Is the title referring to Luke? Is it hinting at Luke's death, leaving a now trained Rey as the last one?

Well, today I found out what is the translated title here in Brazil, and it is Star Wars: Os Últimos Jedi

Now, "os últimos" translate into English as "the last" so no surprise there. However, "os últimos" means it is plural "the last".

It just so happens that the plural of Jedi is also Jedi.
Huh, interesting. One of the first things I mentioned to a friend of mine was that "Jedi" could be either singular or plural. :)
Formerly luketheduke86
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

I saw the movie this afternoon and really enjoyed it. There were some parts that I could have done without, but man, the action was great, the performances by the main cast were excellent and amazingly enough the Porgs weren't annoying. :shock:

That being said, I can see where some people won't like it as they did take a lot of risks and as always, there's a bit of cheesy dialogue. I wouldn't rate it higher than Empire, Star Wars or Rogue One in my book, but in it's in the mix for the fourth spot. I'll need to see it again to make the call.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Ken

Post by Ken »

I saw it tonight, and pretty much agree with everything Thorp said.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

I saw it a couple of days ago with the English dub (for unfathomable reasons the Italina one sucks damn hard) and I really enjoyed it.
There were a number of WTF moments and a few bits and pieces that really needed more fleshing out, but the overall story worked for me.

All in all, it seem that this movie had two main elements: continuing the "new generation heroes" trend and playing with the expectations of the audience. I've lost count of how many times I watched a scene and felt like I was rewatching a bit of Episode 5 and 6, just see it end with a twist.
I really appreciate that they took the damn time to flesh out Kylo Ren, but I'm kind of disappointed that they didn't the same with Snoke ... although, how long did it take to know anything about Palpatine after Return of the Jedi?

I can totally understand why many people have issues with the final result and claim that this isn't a proper Star Wars movie. There were many things that were really unlike any Star Wars movie so far (with the partial exception of Rogue One), many lines were blurred and many details felt off for those who hoped to see more of the same. In many ways this one felt like an attempt to negotiate the classic fable feeling of Star Wars with the grittier war story tones of Rogue One.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

I haven't seen it, but a few of my friends are seriously angry and disappointed. My expectations for the Star Wars franchise are pretty low, so maybe I'll actually be pleasantly surprised instead? Don't know. If anyone here felt that the previous movie was a sloppy disappointment that couldn't manage to tell a decent Hero's Journey while ripping one off entirely, maybe you could tell me how this movie was better than that?
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

I wish I had an easy answer for that, BriarThrone. Like I said, I liked it a lot but it's definitely a flawed movie and Rian Johnson took a lot of chances. Some of it people are just not going to like. I think a lot of it stems from Luke's portrayal, which is not how he's been portrayed in Episodes 5 and 6. As an old dude with a kid that seems to be going off the rails in areas of his life, the Luke-Kylo Ren relationship hit home for me so I thought it was poignant, but again that's me.

And there is definitely some dialogue that shouldn't have made it through editing, but that happens in every Star Wars episode. I would just say to see it and form your own opinion.

It seems like Disney can't win in this one. A lot of people complained that Force Awakens was just a rehash of Star Wars. And then they go in a different direction and people are upset it strayed from what they knew. Oh well, that's the way of the world these days.
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:12 am I wish I had an easy answer for that, BriarThrone. Like I said, I liked it a lot but it's definitely a flawed movie and Rian Johnson took a lot of chances. Some of it people are just not going to like. I think a lot of it stems from Luke's portrayal, which is not how he's been portrayed in Episodes 5 and 6. As an old dude with a kid that seems to be going off the rails in areas of his life, the Luke-Kylo Ren relationship hit home for me so I thought it was poignant, but again that's me.

And there is definitely some dialogue that shouldn't have made it through editing, but that happens in every Star Wars episode. I would just say to see it and form your own opinion.

It seems like Disney can't win in this one. A lot of people complained that Force Awakens was just a rehash of Star Wars. And then they go in a different direction and people are upset it strayed from what they knew. Oh well, that's the way of the world these days.
False dichotomy. It could be thematically and conceptually consistent with the rest of the setting without being a cheap rehash of old ideas like Force Awakens.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

I thought the movie was fantastic. Yea there's a couple iffy parts to it, but the movie as a whole was great. It definitely still felt like a Star Wars movie, but one that is going in a different direction and doesn't feel the need to follow certain "Star Wars" tropes. I was understanding of Luke's characterization and was glad they went the direction they did with Rey's parentage.

An interesting article on the varying fan scores. One thing that seems out of place is how many 0 score or 1/2 stars reviews there are with little to no actual comments.
Formerly luketheduke86
Darrin Kelley

Post by Darrin Kelley »

I finally saw this movie on Netflix yesterday.

I enjoyed it. It was a nice movie.