"Guardians" Russian Superhero Flick

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
bsdigitalq

"Guardians" Russian Superhero Flick

Post by bsdigitalq »

So the final trailer landed for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1J_JCflB7w

Honestly I kinda like the way it looks so far. Lots of comments on how this is Americanized or derivative of "Avengers" and the CG being bad (yeah, it's not the best, but for as low a budget as it's got, it doesn't look bad), but aside from it being about some assorted superheroes being gathered together by a government agency, I'm not seeing it.
Jabroniville

Re: "Guardians" Russian Superhero Flick

Post by Jabroniville »

Huh- looks interesting. Obviously there's an FF/Avengers vibe, but that'll always happen. The "Costumes" are pretty boring, though- just people in black leather.

And of course one of them is a bear.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Yeah, beyond the "Government agency assembling a team of heroes with a one-word code name for the group" angle, I don't really see a lot of Avengers influence there. The bear guy seems to have a Hulk thing going for him, being scientist that transforms into a large powerhouse, but they mix it up with the bear motiff, the gun and a few other things.

Everything I've seen indicates these guys were experimented on during the Cold War to give them their powers, and that they eventually got free and went their own way, and the new government is calling them in to stop a worse supervillain. The heroes seem to have fairly unique powers for this kind of crew (besides the strong man, we've got a ninja with superspeed, an Earth Bender and a woman with some kind of water/invisibility power), and the bad guy is a human with technology powers instead of a demi-god or a robot.

I do agree that I actually prefer the team's "pre-special suit" costumes, where the Earth guy has some actual earth tones and a monk's robe while the ninja has an interesting gi style outfit. After they get their specialized suits, they're all just wearing tight black costumes, which takes away some of the diversity.

Overall, I'm curious to see how this turns out.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Anybody hear when this is coming to the US?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
baldwookiee

Post by baldwookiee »

I just bought the DVD at Walmart. Giving it a watch right now. Looks good so far. I'll up date after I'm done.

Well, I finished it. I won't bother with any spoilers. It's a good superhero movie that does a good job of following the formula but changing things just enough to make it interesting. The effects aren't great, but I've seen worse. And, they left an opening for a sequel. Over all I would put it in solid X-Men or Tobey Spider-Man territory.

The English dub is well done and it comes with a Russian dub too. Interviews with cast and crew, which I haven't watched, and pictures are included.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Amazon Prime now has this and I saw it over the weekend.

I think that the best way to describe my reaction was... underwhelmed. Nothing too great. Nothing too horrible (except for the dubs). It just.. was.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I bought this when it came out on DVD a while back, and I thought it was an okay low-budget superhero film. It's always interesting to see how other countries play with the superhero formula, and this wasn't bad. Not fantastic, but not bad either.

I'd say the worst aspects were the special effects, which look about 10-to-15 years behind modern film effects. It's especially obvious when the bear-guy goes full on "giant bear" mode and looks very fake. The Earth guy also never really got to do more than throw some hand-sized stones at people, use some rocks as a whip, and his coolest thing being when he armored up in this Earth Armor right out of Avatar: The Last Airbender. The poor solo female heroine of the group also had the lamest powers, basically being able to turn invisible and having some weird water/conductivity powers. And like I said earlier, the suits they get from the government look incredibly generic compared to their original outfits, which actually had some unique looks and color schemes to them.

The group was fairly diverse power wise. There's a Hulk-like powerhouse who turned into a half-man/half-bear with a back-pack fed chain-gun (which is just awesome). There's a ninja with superspeed, but with a limit to keep his speed from becoming completely broken (he has to fully "power up" his speed, and has to power down to interact with people normally). There's a guy with Earth Control, which isn't a power you see often in superhero films. And there's "Black Widow with no gadgets but who can turn invisible", which was disappointing.

The bad guy was pretty cool, being this buffed up tech controller, spider-tanks are fun, and we got to see the heroes tear through legions of mooks. The final solution was kind of weak, but overall it wasn't bad. For a second string superhero film in the vein of Hancock or Sky High, it's perfectly serviceable. Just don't go in expecting MCU quality from it.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Sounds like a fun Redbox rental!
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

greycrusader wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:26 pm Sounds like a fun Redbox rental!
Indeed, I'd recommend checking it out, if only for a popcorn film.

Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

I started watching it while folding laundry.
Kind of forgot about it halfway through, never even finished it.
Whoops. ;~)
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

Just stumbled across this thread, checked out the trailer, and had a few questions:

1) Did the trailer show the best 2 minutes of the movie?
2) My 10-year old wants to see it. How is the movie in terms of sexual content and gore (not worried about superhero violence)
3) Any other recommendations for "D-Grade-but-not-F-Grade" superhero movies? I'm pretty easy, but I prefer to stay away from sex and gore as much as possible.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

drkrash wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:05 pm Just stumbled across this thread, checked out the trailer, and had a few questions:

No, there's other entertaining parts, extended fight scenes and they actually kept a few of the bigger scenes off camera for once.
2) My 10-year old wants to see it. How is the movie in terms of sexual content and gore (not worried about superhero violence)
There isn't any real sexual content that I can think of. They don't really have R-Rated super gore from what I can remember, but you do have a giant bear man and a superfast ninja beating / slicing up robot zombies. Mostly it's about as violent as your average X-Men / Avengers film.
3) Any other recommendations for "D-Grade-but-not-F-Grade" superhero movies? I'm pretty easy, but I prefer to stay away from sex and gore as much as possible.
None come to mind immediately, but I'll keep you posted.

drkrash

Post by drkrash »

Thank you!
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

No problem. :)

greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

drkrash wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:05 pm Just stumbled across this thread, checked out the trailer, and had a few questions:

2)Sky High (much better than the similar Tim Allen movie, Zoom); the Power Rangers movie (both the cornball original AND the modern remake with Elizabeth Banks), and the original TMNT movie.