Sailor Moon- Series Overview

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Jabroniville

Re: Sailor Moon- Series Overview

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #68: This one's an EPIC- effectively a "Mid-Season Finale", it showcases Rubeus fighting for the very first time, AND has all four Ayakashi Sisters facing off against the Sailors- to a unique song, no less. They even stand off right across from each other to start! And we even see sights of the Black Moon Clan's invasion of Crystal Tokyo in the future, complete with the Sailors being seen fending them off with a giant force field created from their own powers.

Dang, this one even gets the "Animation Upgrade", with tons of great shots, well-animated fight scenes, and more. Calaveras suddenly pulls off whip-based techniques while Petz blasts away with energy. Rubeus shows up and starts pulling off these great little "energy ball" shots from a series of still-frames. Actually, most of the fights pull off that "artful still-frame" thing, so there's not a lot of dramatic back and forth. But seeing Tuxedo Mask show up throws literally dozens of roses at once upgrades his status on the Bad-Ass Tiers quite nicely.

Seriously, when the guy in the tuxedo who uses ROSES as weapons starts channelling motherfucking Macross as a battle technique, you know shit's on.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #69: Oh my God, it's the debut of Motoki's SISTER! The cute, blue-eyed red-headed girl would soon make seasonal appearances as Victim Of The Week, owing to each new season finding a new thing to use to target people (Dream Mirrors, Heart Crystals & stuff like that). And we FINALLY get the full truth of why Mamoru broke up with his "Usako"- he's been visited with nightmares that promise their wedding will bring about the end of the world, and her death. This guy and his secretive nightmares & dreams... Mamo then goes for a jog in his atrocious Early '90s Pastel Sweats. It's like ten minutes of stuff (Usagi sees Mamoru with a girl that he deliberately plays off as his girlfriend, in order to drive her further away) before we even see the villains, which is pretty rare for this show.

The Sailors arrive to chase off Petz & Calaveras, but not before their Droid puts Sailor Moon to sleep and promises to drain her energy until she dies! Sailor Mars's panicked slapping and "Wake up!" really show how their relationship has evolved- she's essentially fallen apart at the thought of losing Usagi, because GOD those two! Luna, recognizing the danger (and Usagi's depression holding her back from waking up), rushes to Mamoru's place to plead for assistance. She wakes him up by jumping on his dick (even SENTIENT cats find that to be a universal trick), but her pleas fall on deaf ears, until a "Sailor Moon is going to die!" snaps him back to reality, and suddenly he's changing into Tuxedo Mask in MID-MOTORCYCLE JUMP, like a BOSS!

Then he arrives, wakes Sailor Moon up with True Love's Kiss (dude, when lights start shining out of nowhere and the girl starts friggin' FLOATING when you kiss her, you're destined to be together- just give it up). The Droid is cast out of her nightmares, and she wipes it out after it yanks a sword out of her unicorn horn and misses a near-fatal swing.

BUT Tuxedo Mask just goes all "The red string of fate that has linked us together has been severed" and drives off to go cry on his motorcycle helmet, ruining that Sleeping Beauty vibe. However, Usagi's unbreakable optimism eventually returns, especially once she finds out that Motoki's sister Unazuki has a boyfriend- now she immediately assumes that she's just gonna win Mamo back after all.

(Monster Powers: Flight, Sleep Cone, Energy Drain via Possession, Unicorn Horn converts to Sword)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #70: The next arc begins its set-up, as Rubeus coldly throws Koan into near-certain death. And yay- it's another REI-focused one! We start off with poor Yuichiro carrying a comically-huge stack of boxes after Rei, begging her to slow down. Instead, she yells at his uselessness, then emasculates him ("you're a man, aren't you?")... shit, this is where I get it from, isn't it? Heh- there's a fun bit with Artemis getting jabbed for making fun of dateless Mina & Mako, which I remember all the way back when I read a guy's "What REALLY happened in the original Sailor Moon" website, because Mako flicking him on the nose was left out of the dub.

In any case, Koan is sent to kill Chibi-Usa, and she hangs out at the Hikawa Shrine- Rubeus toys with her affections, destroys her gift to him maliciously, and she's STILL all "he DOES love me!", comparing the "love" between them favorably to Rei picking on Yuichiro. There's a funny bit where Koan pretends to be a make-up saleswoman and gives this insane speech about how "faith in a man" is worthless and how only looks matter, and the girls just stare at her like she's crazy (and also a cute bit where they call her "ma'am", and it turns out that Japanese women have the same issue with "a term of respect that tends to be given to older women", as it translates pretty much perfectly- "... 'ma'am'?"). Also, nobody apparently recognizes her, despite having the EXACT SAME FACE AND HAIRCUT. REI YOU HAVE FOUGHT THIS WOMAN SEVERAL TIMES. YOU EVEN MET HER EARLIER THAT DAY.

In a bit I still remember, Koan attacks, and Yuichiro DIVES to save Rei (who's untransformed), taking a "Dark Fire" blast meant for her. Koan is like "that's stupid- she obviously doesn't love you, and she treats you like garbage!" Yuichiro can only state "it doesn't matter! I cannot stop the way I feel!", because by God, even these motherf*cking side characters will give you the feelz, and Mars gives her the Japanese equivalent of the greatest insult in the world ("Unforgivable! I can't forgive you!"), transforms, and they get into a brawl, showing one of the few times a Sailor uses her Special Attack without the animation (she uses it a couple of times in the fight). And Koan even gets a killer move- she Teleports, jumps behind Mars, and then elbows her in the face after springing off a tree! Mars takes a hellacious ass-kicking, and nearly dies saving Yuichiro. She also gives a "Ship Sinking" that explains that she DOESN'T love him, but wants to honor his kindness and sincerity by rescuing him at great cost to herself.

Not only are there great animation and shots in this one (so much of Mars looking injured, but willful and defiant), but it's actually a relatively Usagi-lite episode, which you don't always see. And Koan just LOSES it when her plan not only fails, but Rubeus coldly declares that he never loved her, and her suicide attempt doesn't work. She just lashes out, slashing with her nails at everything, and blaming everyone else for her problems. But rather than react with disgust, Sailor Mars feels PITY for her, and actually takes a Sailor Jupiter knee meant for the villain (a HUGE shot, too). She promises that Koan can still make things right, and soon enough, Sailor Moon uses the "Moon Crystal Power Refresh" to turn her into an ordinary woman.

Great episode. And MAN, that music when Koan is lashing out... just awesome.

(Monster Powers: N/A)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #71: HOLY CRAPFARTS A NEW OPENING YOU GUYS!! Oh my god- the next villains! Wiseman! Chibi-Usa & Sailor Pluto! THEY'RE HERE IN THIS ONE!!

So Berthier gets her "moment", as she invades a Giant Chess-Themed Building that has just opened (naturally). Hearing Maddie Hatter's voice screaming "Go to Hell!" is a blast. It's an Ami-centric one, but she plays a fairly minor role, as Berthier's all "winning is all that matters in competition", while Ami only plays chess for fun. Berthier's chessboard dress = ohmygod. The Chess tournament goes down to the two of them, but once Ami starts winning, Berthier reveals her powers and traps the other Sailors in a bubble while Ami-as-Mercury is forced to become more frozen in ice with every piece she loses. Petz & Calaveras are hilariously cruel to their sister here, basically bailing on her the second she loses (only due to the intervention of Tuxedo Mask, who basically cheats like she did and blows up a piece), and suggest she die fighting the Sailors instead. Berthier's about to, but a simple speech from Koan about how "Humans possess a deep and abiding love!" converts her, and she's turned human as well.

Kind of a "bleh" story (no real focus on Ami at all), and the animation was that horrible "triangle eyes" style, but Berthier is always a bit fun.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #72: And NOW we come to a big moment for my initial Sailor Moon fandom. This right here was the FINAL episode of the initial set of the American Dub, as they'd hit 65 episodes (by skipping a few in the middle), which was enough for syndication. This provoked a HUGE outcry from the fanbase, who were thus robbed out of the rest of the season. Of course technically they aired the "Doom Tree" season AFTER this set, because somebody screwed up the order (yes, that really happened to a PROFESSIONAL COMPANY), but this was where continuity ended for a matter of about two years. In fact, it was so much later (especially when you're young) that my initial HUGE obsession with Sailor Moon (which, trust me, was all-consuming at times- thank God I didn't have the internet at the time) had waned to the point where I only casually watched the remainder of Sailor Moon R when they finally dubbed it, and I think I missed parts of the next season as well.

With Koan & Berthier having betrayed the Black Moon Kingdom, Petz & Calaveras are both angry about their sisters, and nervous about Rubeus's newfound distrust of the whole group. And so he gives Petz a super-powered-up Evil Stick of Whatever, and sends them to finish the Sailors once and for all (after a vision from Wiseman tells him that his life depends on the elimination of our heroes). The evil sisters kidnap their now-good sisters, and the Sailors run to the rescue (and in a big shocker, Chibi-Usa actually witnesses them transform, meaning the jig is up!). Petz unloads with huge "Dark Thunder!" attacks that destroy a chunk of bridge, in a scene that showcases the Sailors can essentially fall hundreds of meters without harm so long as they land on their feet.

Petz goes insane with power, nearly killing Calaveras alongside the others, but when the Sailors successfully disarm her by working together (again, the Bubble Spray is irreplaceable), she's left powerless. The sisters still risk their lives to save hers (Calaveras switches sides after being shocked by Sailor Moon's compassion towards her injuries), and Rubeus then plans to blow them all up using the stick to tear through dimensions. Only a Last-Minute Random Power ("Sailor Planet Power!") from all the girls saves the day and blows up the device. The last two sisters sure are, uh... hella-naked when they're "Refreshed" and turn human. The Four Spectre Sisters open up a make-up/salon store thing and engage in screaming rivalries to mimic Rei/Usagi, and the day is saved.

Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #73: Chibi-Usa deals with the revelation that the hated Usagi is actually Sailor Moon, while Rubeus is now badgered by his very own "Zoisite"! Yes, that familiar Sailor Moon charater- the "Taunt-Happy Up & Coming General", as Esmeraude (pronounced like "Esmerald" in English) joins the now-lone warrior on his spaceship thingie and begins taunting him for his failures. And mention of "Prince Dimande", who is in charge, is made as well. The "1960s Spider-Man" theme music going on behind her is pretty groovy.

Chibi-Usa has a freak-out and decides to bail on the team (as she finds Usagi to be detestable), but her multiple attempts at fleeing (one time, Mamoru tries to cheer her up by bringing out a plush Tuxedo Mask and OH MY GOD IT'S SO ADORBZ I WANT) only lead Rubeus to her once she steals Usagi's Silver Crystal. The remaining Sailors use a weakened Sailor Planet Power technique to resist the gravity beam of his FRIGGIN' HUGE Spaceship, but they are ultimately drawn in, leading Usagi to curse out Chibi-Usa for being "Stupid!" and causing this whole thing, while Rubeus laughs. Usagi nearly unloading on a freaking CHILD with a slap to the face (Tuxedo Mask only holds her wrist and shakes his head, like "now's not the time") is one of those "holy crap, this is serious" moments. To Be Continued.

(First Appearance: Esmeraude/Esmerald)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #74: Rubeus's plan- lure Sailor Moon into rescuing her friends, then slowly kill her. Actual dialogue when Esmeraude leaves: "Esmerald, you bitch", translated to "Watch me, woman". Doing Dubs with Subtitles beneath them is the BEST! There's a nice moment where Usagi comes to terms with her newfound maturity, as instead of crying and wailing about "I want to go home!" like her "old self" would have done, she's now forced to suck up her tears and do things on her own- she sneaks out without her remaining allies knowing, so she can't put them in danger. Then CHIBI-USA runs away on her own- for a guy with a Danger Sense about women being in trouble, Mamoru sure sucks at keeping an eye on them.

Sailor Moon & Chibi-Usa end up on the Nemesis Starship, where Rubeus slowly toys with Usagi and taunts her. However, she actually manages to force herself up from a gravity well ("this ship amplifies my powers" he says), and in a nice touch from the animations, her ponytails are clearly being pulled straight downwards all the while. Sailor Moon resisting the pull of the gravity well, while her friends sit crucified and helpless, is one of those bad-ass moments you only get from this show. And then CHIBI-USA pulls off the heroics, destroying Rubeus's Power Amplifier, despite its electric charge!

All this fighting causes Rubeus to get blasted by Moon Princess Halation, and then his ship starts falling apart. He's determined to go down fighting the lot of them, but he's caught in fire, they "Sailor Teleport" away, and he's taunted one last time by Esmerald, who gleefully leaves him to die on the exploding spaceship. Esmerald is thus the new "General", with Prince Dimande saying so in the finale.

(First Appearance: Prince Dimande)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #75: Another one I remember- Chibi-Usa is threatened by the Grim Man, while all of a sudden Prince Dimande brings up the "Malefic Black Crystal", which seeks out targets. And of course Esmeraude is in love with him. His brother, Prince Saphir, is also seen- he has one of the more interesting designs in the show, because it's that weird combination of "Basic" and "Unique"- a deep blue top with white pants, along with short hair. Meanwhile, Chibi-Usa is dying of some weird mystery ailment, so of course her little "Luna Ball" thing comes to life and reveals that it's controlled by SAILOR FREAKING PLUTO, who shows up to drop some exposition on the girls!

Naturally, within one minute, Sailor Pluto (Luna: "I think I've heard of her before...") teleports the gang into Chibi-Usa's subconscious, where they have to fight the Grim Man! Hah- I actually have a poster (my mom got it for me) of a scene in this episode- all five Sailors standing on a ruined column, with the moon behind them. Tragically, this is one of those episodes done by the "Triangle-Eye Guy", so the characters actually looked pretty bad and misshapen.

That said, the Grim Man looks BITCHING in this episode- a big purple cloak with a really detailed little mask actually goes a long way. He's completely invincible, as he's more or less a construct of Chibi-Usa's afflicted mind (though nobody really explains this), so once she realizes that this "Sailor Moon" character is a friend, a magical light gives Usagi greater powers, and she easily smacks him away and wipes him out. Also, he's not called anything here- I just remember him being called that in the original Dub.

Bizarrely, Sailor Pluto basically does NOTHING aside from allowing the girls to enter Chibi-Usa's mind. There's no explanation of who she is, or anything.

(Monster Powers: Flight, Area Damage Thrown Scythe, Invincibility, Scythe Slash)

(First Appearance: Sailor Pluto, The Malefic Black Crystal, Prince Saphir)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #76: So now it's time for another "Story Shift", as Rubeus is dead, we've had a few "different" kinds of episodes (the Sisters being transformed to good; Rubeus and his last stand; the Grim Man), and now we're back to "Template Episodes". Esmeraude gets a Droid whose power traps people in sugary desserts inside a brand-new store, and... yup- we're in a Template Episode alright. Esmeraude goes into her plan- infusing the "Negative Energy Points" on Earth with Dark Power from the Malefic Black Crystal (jesus this is getting weird), so that they can "mature" and then gain a full infusion from the Crystal to transform the world. Because, you see, in the future, the four Sailor Guardians are protecting Crystal Tokyo just by linking hands and blasting out with full power- their mission in the past is to WEAKEN that shield in the future by ruining Tokyo NOW. Got it?

Yup- the Evil Shop is promoting "All You Can Eat" cakes, and the girls are all-in. Artemis's "I hope you get fat!" is CLASSIC. Both Esmeraude & Usagi make spectacles of themselves by losing all self-control and cramming their faces with cakes- ah, she's gonna be THAT kind of villain. She summons "Marzipan", who effortlessly trounces the girls with her speed, transforming them into cake-covered "sugar bodies" that are super-delicate. However, Sailor Mercury avoids the attacks, and it turns out that her ice power is the key to victory- one Shine Aqua Illusion, and the Droid is defeated and her powers undone.

The Sailors & Tuxedo Mask taunt Esmeraude as her plan falls apart (naturally, she wasn't even paying attention), and in a HILARIOUS moment, she immediately hits on Tuxedo Mask, who uncomfortably scoots off-camera. HAHAHAHA, HOLY SHIT "You're just flat-chested and flat-butted young girls!" "We prefer to think of ourselves as perky, old lady" OH MY GOD JUPITER IS AWESOME. Esmeraude gets pissed, but backs off from the odds with a smirk, then lets out her shrieking laugh and bails. I'm liking her more than the other Black Moon Clan people, at least.

(Monster Powers: Snare w/ Sweets, Weaken Toughness Linked, Create Sweets)

(First Appearance: Power Wedges)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #77: We get one of those "it only works in Japanese" jokes where they say "promise ring" and Usagi mistakes it for "puroresu" (pro wrestling), but of course they have to change the pun in English because that leap in logic can't really take place (Umino then says "people who can't wait to GET IT ON"- resulting in Usagi watching a fantasy of him & his girlfriend Naru wrestling- which turns him into more of a pervert than the original intended). But of course these "promise rings" (bracelets, really) are The New Fad, and thus of course it's an Esmeraude plot. Watching Mercury & Jupiter egg Usagi on, and practically carry her through the whole fad, is completely adorbz, and showcases the closeness of these girls- you know they don't really care about the stupid rings- they just want Usagi to be DOING SOMETHING and be uplifted.

And finally, Usagi has the same prophetic dream Mamoru has, and so she now KNOWS that he split up with her "for her own good"- she declares all fatalistic-teenagerly that "I would die with you", but he's all "NO YOU MUST LIVE!" and still boots her out of his apartment, because he's the King of Douchebag Mountain. Of course, once it's time to fight the villain... the group absolutely HANDS THE DROID HER ASS- Sailor Moon avoids one attack, Tuxedo Mask wipes out the second, Mercury the third, Mars the fourth, and Venus & Jupiter double-team the last, because they always have to share in times like this.

But that's of course all immaterial, because Tuxedo Mask tries to leave, and all the other Sailors (Mars- and this is the important part- is the FIRST to do so) are like "Go GET him, girl!", sending Usagi into his arms. Both of them are like "maybe in the future we musn't be together... but for now--" and OH MY GOD YOU GUYS THEY KISS AND MAKE UP!! THEY TOTALLY DO!!

(Monster Powers: Ring Blast, Multiattack, "Reversible" Homing Attack)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #78: This is a pretty famous one for Sailor Venus fans, largely because it completely defined her new personality. Perfected it, basically. A wave of flu virus has hit Juban District in Tokyo (even back then, the Japanese always wore medical masks to avoid transfering illness to others), and all of the Sailors have come down with it... except for Minako. And unfortunately... she is the world's crappiest nurse. She leaves Makoto's place a disaster area, and is then taking care of poor Rei, insisting she'll get her "rice gruel" right this time (hopefully not the cheap, imitation kind). Watching Rei eye it suspiciously while Minako's eyes light up like a child on Christmas morning is hilarious. And then of course she A) adds too much salt, B) spills the ENTIRE THING on Rei, and C) dumps her out of bed while trying to change the sheets. Then somehow she blows up Rei's stereo, and the poor girl has had it.

In a bizarre moment, Mina jumps from the ground to the second-floor balcony of Usagi's home! Not even in Sailor form! This... this goes against my theory that their Sailor Forms are powered-up compared to their normal ones! How... how did this happen?!?

Then stuff gets awesome- Mina finally stops F-ing up and Usagi feels a bit better. They have one of those "girl chats" where Usagi's all "is this 'cause I'm the Princess?" and Minas all "Nah, it's because we're great friends and I feel at ease around you". Then, while the Sailors triumphantly stagger through the streets, REFUSING to let the flu virus hold them back from their duty, Mina stumbles upon Esmeraude's plot, and the villainess goes "this means you found out about my plan to make everyone sick, then give them medicine laced with Dark Power?". Mina's all "of course I knew that!" Even though SHE HAD NO IDEA. That is so rad.

Hey- Venus uses the CRESCENT BEAM in her solo fight! We haven't seen that in ages! And then the others arrive, and we get Bubble Spray! Some director was nostalgic, I see. They make short work of the Droid, Esmeraude leaves, and soon poor Minako now has to deal with a flu of her very own... and must survive the ordeal of NURSE USAGI. One of the funnier episodes, largely for slapstick and the growing anger/frustration of the poor Sailors.

(Monster Powers: Multiattack Needle Blasts)
Davies

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 11:46 pm
In a bizarre moment, Mina jumps from the ground to the second-floor balcony of Usagi's home! Not even in Sailor form! This... this goes against my theory that their Sailor Forms are powered-up compared to their normal ones! How... how did this happen?!?
It's Mina. 'Nuff said.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #79: Now we go from Sailor Venus to ARTEMIS, as the male cat gets his very own episode! Artemis, tired of being humiliated and insulted by the women in his life, and runs off to pout, which also entails investigating a pet rescue foundation that Esmeraude takes over. Watching Artemis get repeatedly abused in various accidental ways is pretty funny, though it's a bit odd how we're supposed to take Luna's side in how "careless" he is. In the end, though, he guts it out and nearly sacrifices himself after the Droid nearly kills all the Sailors (they easily undo all of its attacks, but Sailor Moon distracts them by over-congratulating Mercury for her trick). Watching the Droid send dozens of animals to assault human beings (for no real reason other than to hurt people and "Spread Dark Power", I guess), Artemis and the Sailors is pretty fun.

Bizarrely, neither of these past two episodes feature any Moon/Tuxedo interactions- IMMEDIATELY AFTER their relationship re-starts! This is incredibly weird considering how big of an issue this was for several episodes in a row. It's like the writers just wanted to avoid it now.

(Monster Powers: Multiattack Constricting/Crushing Snares, Leaping, Animal Control- wide area)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #80: Esmeraude now targets a cram school (a major "post-school study hall" thing that's common in Japan), and its students now accuse Ami of cheating on her tests to get her high grades! Really good "Character Animation" in this one- Ami's look of worry comes across really well, and her hair is actually shown as short-but-feminine, not the big block it's often drawn as by weaker directors. The students get REALLY hostile to Ami (doing the "Shonen Manga" thing of referring to everyone by their last names in a nasty manner), one of them puts his hands on Mako AAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDD he's dead. Two more join the pile, but Ami's now actually worried.

Ami soon discovers a Droid at the cram school, and soon its illusion power is causing Ami to think her friends are insulting her. This nearly breaks her spirit, but in a funny bit, the same trick doesn't work on Sailor Moon- who's USED to people insulting her! That is amazing- using her status as the Butt-Monkey to defeat the villain's manipulations. This Droid is one of the few I've ever seen actually lay a beat-down on Tuxedo Mask

(Monster Powers: Summon Clones, Invisible Illusion Blast)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #81: Esmeraude gets right into it this time, as her pair of minions (who were apparently full-on Black Moon Clan characters in the original manga, but here are depicted as generic Droids- in both cases, they're one-offs, however) infect Juban Elementary School, causing Chibi-Usa's friends to get into a violent brawl with each other. The Sailors get involved quickly, nearly lose to the villains, but then Chibi-Usa's dearest friend (who we met... five minutes earlier) takes a shot meant for the "Rabbit" and nearly dies, sending Chibi-Usa into a volcanic bout of rage that lights up the ENTIRE SCHOOL (a huge structure, actually) and blows the two baddies out of the way. She soon "powers down" and the villains are beaten (in a neat bit, they try to "phase" through the ground mid-attack, but Jupiter's attack destroys their hiding place), but this causes Wiseman & Prince Demande to immediately alter their plans on killing her; the new plan: to recruit her.

(Monster Powers: Two guys; Floating Flight, Extendeable Limbs, Claws, Phasing, Area Mind Control, Blast, Cube Area Blast)