Sailor Moon- Series Overview

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Jabroniville

Re: Sailor Moon- Series Overview

Post by Jabroniville »

Davies wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:33 pm These are pretty interesting to read.
Thanks! Part of it's just self-indulgence on my part, but I'm also doing these as a benefit for a set of builds. Hopefully the rest of the episodes' reviews are safe on my broken-down old computer.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #55: An unusually low-key one, featuring Jupiter going after "Seijuro", in an episode themed around what loves ones do for each other. Turns out that primarily, they make lunches for each other. Seijuro's inability to understand this aspect of human nature, combined with Mako mooning over him all... Makoto-like... pretty much carries the whole episode (along with some speculation that Seijuro, who arrived at the same time the Moonlight Knight did, is their mysterious savior). It actually doesn't fit the "Template" at all for this run, which is nice, too. An/Natsumi is naturally hella-jealous, and straight-up ATTACKS, launching Mako around with those invisible energy waves of hers. Sailors Moon & Mercury have to arrive to help out (having carried a minor subplot about Usagi forgetting her lunch), but a Cardian is summoned that whips out the Senshi's natural enemy: Snares.

Everyone's pretty much toast, but the Moonlight Knight springs Jupiter, who naturally gets HER Power-Up- Supreme Thunder DRAGON! This monstrous electronic being looked so bad-ass that it's a shame it doesn't recur. But hey- there's "Crescent Beam Shower!" again! I didn't know we ever saw those twice! The Cardian is soon beaten, and everyone's all "oh well, Seijuro must not be the Moonlight Knight". All of the random switching in and out of secret identities here should have REALLY clued in SOMEONE, however- An arriving to attack, then Seijuro suddenly becoming Ail? Then Mako doing the same and becoming Jupiter? These guys are all Lois Laneing this Secret ID stuff...

(Monster Powers: Food Basket Contains- Chopstick That Shatters Things On Impact, Seaweed Wrap Snare, Leaping)

---
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #56: The wonderful Snow White episode, where the girls take part in the play. Since Mamoru's stuck being the director of a play, the girls come up with the subject matter and cast themselves in it. And right out of the gate we get an incident that became infamous- the girls are debating just who gets to play the lead (Rei because she came up with the idea; Usagi because she's "cute and adorable"), at which point Makoto simply says that "My breasts are the biggest, so I should be Snow White" Despite this FLAWLESS LOGIC, the people in charge of the Original Dub changed it to "I have the most acting talent", but kept the boob-gesture and a little "boing" sound- therefore, Sailor Moon fans would forever-after refer to Mako's "Big Talent" as a clever euphemism.

Here, it's dubbed as "after all, I have the biggest boobs out of all of you." with the smuggest tone possible. Then says "want to take measurements?" Later, she shoves them RIGHT INTO CAMERA, practically in Rei's face (Rei exasperatedly looks right at 'em, too). How did this girl not immediately become the most popular character again? All the girls end up arguing over the role (even Ami, who figures that her extreme studying means she'll need the role that involves her being asleep for a chunk of the thing, so she has fewer lines to memorize), but Natsumi pops in, announces her candidacy, then rigs the straw-drawing so she gets to play the lead. Naturally, as Mamoru's the Prince, she wants to do LOTS of practice on the kissing scene.

Alas, the second the play opens (like, before they even get on the stage), a Lady Clown Cardian shows up (all because Ail was pissed he didn't get to play the Prince) and starts attacking. The Sailors immediately transform, throw out some epic smack-talk (Mercury demands the time back that she lost to studying; Mars talks about her red high heels), and basically kick its ass in three seconds (I notice that ALL FIVE Sailors basically overwhelm almost any foe). An wails about doing all that hard work for nothing (and having her chance to kiss Mamoru stolen), while Ail just pouts "I REALLY wanted to be the Prince." Amazeballs episode.

(Monster Powers: Terrifying Clown, Umbrella- Energy Drain & Electrified Snare, Spikes Shot From Hat, Giant Red Ball).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #57: One I barely remember- Usagi & Natsumi both get in trouble at school (thanks to a funny subplot where Ms. Haruna gives them detention after school because she's furious over her date being cancelled, then forgetting them at school because he un-cancelled), and engage in more rivalry over Mamoru's affections. Meanwhile, Ail attempts to use a Cardian to kill Mamoru, but it simply goes psychotic and starts attacking random people! In another infamous bit, it attacks some ducks at the park and steals THEIR energy (the Original Dub had a bit of a meme out of this, with Ail crying "NO- NOT THE DUCKS!" told with a ton of dramatic anger)- all of this disobedience is considered a major issue, as it should be impossible. Clips of the Makai Tree growing restless only continue this thread. The Cardian completely wipes the floor with the Senshi (despite Venus & Mercury using their new attacks), but Sailor Moon & the Moonlight Knight pull off a last minute save. Kind of a weird one, but at least it wasn't the Standard Template.

(Monster Powers: Leaping, Disobedience, Physical Strength & Skill, Durability)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episodes #58 & #59: This whole arc begins its end-game, as the Makai Tree's acting weirder and weirder, and Ail & An send a four-faced Cardian to steal mass amounts of energy to counteract this. However, after Usagi is attacked by the Tree in their apartment (they were missing school, and she went to check up on them), the excess energy it gains leads An to plot a sacrifice- she allows Usagi back in (after brusquely telling her off earlier), then SHOVES her towards the Tree. However, the Tree FREAKS THE HELL OUT, murdering their Cardian and actually SPEAKS for the first time.

Next episode sees An & Ail deal out a HELLACIOUS beating to the Sailors (their Force Field easily blocks Fire Soul Bird, and they throw out these VICIOUS energy bursts as the girls are lying down- causing them to bolt upwards from the impact). Usagi transforms into Sailor Moon right in front of everyone, but she too gets a shellacking. Then, when things are at their lowest, Usagi jumps IN FRONT OF the energy wave, to protect Mamoru (who went along the second time, to make sure Natsumi was okay). Then Mamoru does the same. They basically start saving EACH OTHER and the aliens are all like "WTF? What is this WUV shit?", but it turns out this actually MEANS SOMETHING to An, who sacrifices her life to save Ail when the Makai Tree starts thrashing around.

Then, with Ail freaking out and An going all "I understand what love is and stuff", the Makai Tree finally begins to speak for real, and gives its origin story: A tree in a vast, empty ocean, that created a race of people to keep it company. However, they grew covetous of its energy, and warred against each other, to the point where their world died. The Tree floated through space to find another world, but its energy dimmed, taking away its voice and killing all but An & Ail, who grew up without anyone to speak to, and so grew up selfish and uncaring. But only now does the Tree have enough energy to teach them properly. It accepts "Moon Princess Halation" to cleanse itself, at which point it resurrects An and the three float away from Earth, the Tree now a tiny sapling. Oh and it turns out that the Moonlight Knight is the manifestation of Mamoru's love for Usagi, as even with his memories wiped, he felt the need to protect his beloved. But now that Mamoru fell in love with Usagi all over again, he's unneeded, and merges back with his host. And thus we end this odd little chapter in Sailor Moon history.

A good pair of episodes (especially the Sailors' invasion of the apartment building, deftly avoiding tentacles in a way that would be the envy of most Japanese animated heroines), with a solid ending that isn't just "hey, unfurl the Silver Crystal already"- it's all about TALKING and SACRIFICE.

---

* This arc as a whole is a peculiar aside, but I actually really liked it. It has good characterization, and a lot of "classic" moments for this wacky group. The "Sailor Focus" episodes were good, and it's nice to have things on a more "Small Scale" than "The imminent destruction of the universe". An & Ail were a bit trickier, though- they were so inherently GOOFY at times, and their behavior so unrealistic, that it took me out of things. Did the two REALLY need to fall in love with Mamoru & Usagi at first sight? Like, two seconds in? It made their whole "True Love" thing seem very odd, as the second they find some competition, they turn into jealous, manipulative horn-dogs.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #60: The new arc (actually based off of the manga) begins, featuring Rubeus and his four "Generals" (later, it'd turn out that Rubeus himself is merely a General, so I guess these are Lieutenants), hunting the "Rabbit"- who is actually a teeny pink-haired girl with a bun-head hairstyle named Usagi! Yes, the dreaded "Chibi-Usa" has become a thing, hilariously throwing a wrinkle into Usagi & Mamoru's relationship before they even finish ONE SCENE TOGETHER as a couple. A lot of the alterations in the Original Dub are clear here, as Chibi-Usa's name isn't "Rini". Oh, and Dub Rini never PULLED A FREAKIN' GUN ON USAGI!! This is actually extremely bizarre, and the first time we ever see a "real world" firearm in this fantasy-ish show. It actually looks horribly out-of-place in this world (which I guess would be true in Japan, which has very high-end anti-gun legislation, as well as a cultural bias against it).

But yes, we're given little indication of the girl's true identity just yet- she just arrives, threatens Usagi (now called "Usako" by Mamoru, as a term of endearment), demands the Silver Crystal, and then brainwashes Usagi's family into accepting her as a "cousin" staying over (complete with fake photo album to "prove" their relation)- this is, notably, years before Buffy the Vampire Slayer would do practically the exact same thing. Plenty of "Usagi Freaking Out" gags abound, especially when Chibi-Usa attacks her IN THE TUB (in the original version here, we see a LOT of shots that'd be edited out overseas, basically showing the complete outline of Usagi's naked body, never mind one shot where a nipple DEFINITELY should be visible, but simply isn't drawn in).

In a weird bit, Rei dismissively waves away her "Grandpa" (Chibi-Usa in disguise), and they keep repeating the same hand motion. It's EXTREMELY well-animated, containing way more frames than normal for such a pose... but as it's the only moving part of the image, and they KEEP DOING IT, it ends up looking "off" because it's so out-of-place for a show with more limited animation.

Now the "Black Moon Family" shows their evil advisor, "The Great Wizard Wiseman", who divines that they need to destroy the Silver Crystal or else they can't destroy "The Crystal City Tokyo". Usagi, sick of Chibi-Usa's B.S., finally gives her a sound thrashing, but this sets off a Crescent Moon Signal in her forehead, leading Koan ("youngest of the Four Spectre Sisters") right to her! Koan's goofy-ass design (a pink pinstriped outfit with a purple tutu) kind of robs her of any sort of menace- at least the Dark Kingdom and the aliens had some dignity. Koan & Sailor Moon get into a brawl (the other Sailors are K.O.'d by some spiked tea), showcasing Koan's "Dark Fire" attacks- a single Blast where she oddly "flickers" her hand for a second, and a Multiattack one where she leaps into the air and shoots flames out in a big circle. Usagi (who is now all of a sudden using amazing battle tactics like terrain and PHYSICAL BODY ATTACKS now that the other Sailors aren't there) & Tuxedo Mask see her off (she actually dodges the "Halation" attack!), and we get a glimmer in Mamoru's eyes of what "Crystal Tokyo" looks like.

(First Appearance: Chibi-Usagi, The Luna-P Ball, "Luna P Transform!", Rubeus, Koan, Berthier, Petz, Calaveras, Koan's "Dark Fire!", Crystal Tokyo)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #61: A new "Status Quo" as such is formed, as Usagi & "Chibi-Usa" (now named that by Usagi, much to her chagrin) now petulantly argue for Mamoru's attention. Given the parental origins of Chibi-Usa (OH SHIT TWENTY YEAR OLD SPOILER ALERT), it's a little creepy that she's fawning over Mamo and calling him "my boyfriend", though it's of course taken pretty innocently. "Chibi-Usa" also really doesn't roll off the tongue in English, and is hard to type... so annoying. I should point out that Mamoru is wearing the most '80s work-out gear EVER- turquoise sweats and rolled-up sleeves. With a yellow hood. Magnificent.

Better still is his first "real" meeting with Usagi's often-forgotten family- Usagi's dad freaking the F out over meeting some college-age boy as his daughter's BF is worth the price of admission alone (as is Ikuko-Mama's sly admission that Mamo's a hottie and Usagi should bring him over later). Meanwhile, Berthier is now our "Spectre Sister" of focus, and HOO BOY, she's more Fanservicey than I remember. Basically wearing a low-cut swimsuit with hip boots, and dancing around like a coquettish little minx, and all that. This is totally the only time a white-haired chick with ice powers wearing a powder-blue outfit has done this to me! Rubeus charges her with our new "Episode Template"- finding a "Crystal Point" (where the energy to power the Force Field of what is now called the "despicable future city of Crystal Tokyo" lies) and then infusing it with Dark Energy to ruin it for the future. Note that this plot point never becomes an actual major thing, save for "Threat of the Week" episodes- they pretty much just drop it later and focus entirely on hunting "The Rabbit".

But that's not the main thing that happens here, because Mamoru gets some nasty visions of Usagi dying, and is all "NO, I HAVE NO FEELINGS FOR YOU ANYMORE!" and BREAKS UP with poor Usagi then and there!! Usagi's crushed, confused reaction is amazeballs, all smiling desperately, while you can see her heart breaking (a difficult reaction to get across in animation). And REI of all people is being super-positive about how it'll "all work out", because as always, when shit gets serious, so does Rei. Rei, you are so goddamn magnificent that I just can't with you. And then Usagi collapses in a telephone booth and loses it AGH WHY MUST YOU FEEL EMOTIONS SO STRONGLY USAGI AGH THE FEEEEEEEELLLSS!!

Berthier's villainous plan? EVIL MAKEUP. For some reason, I find her yellow Victorian dress hotter than her pastel swimsuit. And that's BEFORE the gratuitous panty-shot in the wind. She sends the first "Droid" seen in the series (just standard-issue Monsters, really), and soon Usagi's lured in to the Beauty Parlor. She's apparently a living "Perfume Bottle", spraying acid while riding what looks like a four-wheeled self-driving board (oddly similar to those ones you see nowadays that are self-balancing), but soon Tuxedo Mask deflects the spray back IN HER FACE, which completely erases her features! Moon ends the fight right thereafter. The Droids disintegrate real nice, too- they turn to powdered glass, then fall into a pile from the bottom-up, and their Forehead Crystals land atop the pile before losing color. Very cool.

Oh, and then Moon & Tuxedo Mask share a moment, and then, while she pleads with him to explain why he doesn't like her anymore, he just goes "I don't like weak women". OH MAMO YOU SON OF A F*CKING BITCH!! What the FRICK, episode? SO MANY FEELS.

SERIOUSLY OH MY GOD.

(First Appearance: Droids)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #62: Another "big change" episode, as the girls get new Transformation Sticks and even Communication Watches (instead of those "Communicard" things). And the Cats flat-out state that "you should become more powerful now", levelling the team up basically through exposition! And it's the one where Ami gets accepted to go to a fancy school in Germany ("to be a doctor like her mom"- some of the only bits of backstory we EVER see for these characters). Naturally, this involves leaving the group, who endeavor to put on a brave face and allow her to go ("it would be selfish of us to force her to stay" because it's her dream, and all). Naturally, Rei immediately notes "I knew you'd come around" when Usagi eventually agrees with them, instead of just berating her like normal, because GOD THOSE TWO, UGH.

Meanwhile, Berthier (who comes through a portal BOOBS-FIRST for some reason) gets charged with the mission of making an ice cream store evil. And OH GOD I RECOGNIZE HER VOICE- she's using the same voice as Madeline Hatter from Ever After High! And apparently Cindy Robinson was actually the voice of Queen Friggin' Beryl last season! Now THAT's some character range- the malicious, deep-voiced Queen of the Dark Kingdom and the girly-girl high-pitched squeak of Maddie? Cripes.

Artemis & Luna are soon frozen by Berthier's Droid, and the girls have to miss seeing off Ami at the airport. The Original Dub used Only a Memory Away as a background song here (the show was using a lot more of these in R, I'm noticing...), which was super-peppy for a "Goodbye" song. But naturally, Ami gets her "Going-Away Gift" from Mamoru & Chibi-Usa, and it's her new Transformation Stick- this lets her know that her friends are in danger, and she decides it was "selfish" to go to her dream school, and instead arrives to save the team from an Area-Effecting Droid. She gets a new transformation start-up ("Mercury Star Power Make Up!")... then gets nail polish... underneath her gloves. And Shine Aqua Illusion blasts the Droid and saves the day.

(First Appearance: New Transformation Sticks, Communication Watches, Mercury's "Shine Aqua Illusion" attack)

(Monster Powers: Flight/Leaping, Snare/Paralyze Area Attacks, Environment- Cold)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #63: YAY ANOTHER SAILOR MARS ONE!!! In this'n, Rei is upset after her pervy ol' Grandpa decides to set up a "Protection Aesthetics" class to teach women to become strong and beautiful via the martial arts (this is years before Tae-Bo, by the way)... but of course it's just a way to drool over young girls in skimpy leotards. The "Joshi Puroresu" tropes fly in this one, with German Suplexes, Lariats and assorted pro wrestling moves thrown around, and the Droid straight-up transforms into a Palette Swap of Bull Nakano!

Rei of course rages over this whole thing, especially when Koan manipulates her way into leading the class and flirting with Grandpa. But it's the "Slow Burn Rei" behind the scenes, as she pretends to be fine with it while instead she glowers. Of course, being Rei, she's still openly-hostile to her Grandpa in person. When the "Crystal Point" becomes infected, the girls all start fighting each other, and finally the Droid transforms and beats the hell out of Grandpa (who still gets a bad-ass moment, wiping out a room full of girls in a single flurry of blows). And then Rei gets one of those heroic moments that makes her so rad, as despite all the arguing she does with Grandpa, she literally DIVES IN THE WAY of Dumbull's attacks, getting stomped on repeatedly after a vicious elbowdrop. Like, REPEATEDLY.

(First Appearance: Mars's "Burning Mandala!" attack)

(Monster Powers: Grappling & Strength, "Dumbull Lariat"- Blast)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #64: It's the "Thunder" one- notable for me because if features a teenage girl reacting to thunder like a small child, which gets rather grating after about five seconds (like, SCREAMING AND CRYING about it? Really?). What's sad is that I actually know a 60-something year old WOMAN who goes all "OOHHHHHHH NOOOOOOO!!!" when it thunders out- it's bizarre to me that an adult could behave that way. IN ANY CASE, Rubeus suddenly remembers that Chibi-Usa was afraid of thunder, and so to draw her out, Petz (eldest of the Spectre Sisters) summons a Droid who fights using the weather. Meanwhile, Chibi-Usa reacts to the weather by trying to travel back home using her Magic Key, but this only cancels out gravity in the immediate area (leading to a great scene where Rei gets her head stuck up Venus's dress). This leaves Sailor Moon alone against the Droid, but she finishes it quickly once Tuxedo Mask shows up. The whole Usagi/Chibi-Usagi/Tuxedo Mask thing takes precedence here, as the little girl meets Sailor Moon & Tuxedo Mask for the first time, and runs off happily with the guy, making Usagi jealous.

(Monster Powers: Drum summons Environment changes- winds & lightning. Uses Shock-Stick Drumsticks)
Jetstream

Post by Jetstream »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:40 am Episode #64: It's the "Thunder" one- notable for me because if features a teenage girl reacting to thunder like a small child, which gets rather grating after about five seconds (like, SCREAMING AND CRYING about it? Really?). What's sad is that I actually know a 60-something year old WOMAN who goes all "OOHHHHHHH NOOOOOOO!!!" when it thunders out- it's bizarre to me that an adult could behave that way.
I was gonna say, before I saw that other sentence, that I am personally aware of a lady in her 60s who cannot abide thunder/lightning. Like, screaming and hiding under tables. She was, in fact, a co-worker until she retired a number of months ago. We always checked up on her when it was storming out.

Everyone's got their things, their "triggers" if I were to co-opt an internet pop culture term. Some people it's spiders, others it's snakes, or deep water, or whatever. Eh.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Jetstream wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:44 am
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:40 am Episode #64: It's the "Thunder" one- notable for me because if features a teenage girl reacting to thunder like a small child, which gets rather grating after about five seconds (like, SCREAMING AND CRYING about it? Really?). What's sad is that I actually know a 60-something year old WOMAN who goes all "OOHHHHHHH NOOOOOOO!!!" when it thunders out- it's bizarre to me that an adult could behave that way.
I was gonna say, before I saw that other sentence, that I am personally aware of a lady in her 60s who cannot abide thunder/lightning. Like, screaming and hiding under tables. She was, in fact, a co-worker until she retired a number of months ago. We always checked up on her when it was storming out.

Everyone's got their things, their "triggers" if I were to co-opt an internet pop culture term. Some people it's spiders, others it's snakes, or deep water, or whatever. Eh.
Yeah, that one sounds more like a phobia (specifically, the "irrational, over-the-top reaction to fear trigger" aspect)- with my co-worker it was more like "OHHHHHH I don't LIKE thunder!" and whining- it came off more childish than explosive and horrifying. Funny how both our stories are about old women, though.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #65: This one had actually convinced me early-on that Jupiter & Venus were the "minor" Sailors out of the main group- as this Season was my first, my first set of "Solo Episodes" featured Mars alone, Mercury alone... and then these two being forced to SHARE one! So I was convinced that not only were they minor characters compared to the others, but that they were paired off as "best friends" separate from the group as well.

In this one, Minako & Makoto are led into a stupid fight when they have a small disagreement over the nature of love (arguing over whether or not a pair of boys were teasing Chibi-Usa because they liked her). They soon segue into a shouting match where Mako accuses Minako of sitting on the sidelines and never trying to get into a relationship, while Minako accuses Makoto of comparing every boy she meets to the guy who dumped her (I mean, CAN YOU IMAGINE??). And so now of course the two are no longer speaking. This is combined with a subplot about how Petz & Calaveras (now finally getting some action for the episode) are arguing as well- Petz has "being dumped" in her backstory as well.

So the "Crystal Point" is some Love Jewelery Store, but Venus & Jupiter make up within, kind of cheering each other up ("That guy who dumped you... didn't have very good taste in women"). And soon it's Jupiter & Venus versus the Spectre Sisters, debuting their new attacks. Jupiter's is pretty lame (just throwing a baseball-sized ball of energy rather than creating a HUGE blast), but Venus's "Love-Me Chain" is solid enough. The Sisters flee from the battle, but their Droid (an oddly-talkative one. It's pretty standard for these to JUST speak their own names, but this one can actually chat!) is left behind to "finish them", but Sailor Moon (who is JUST NOW arriving) wipes it out just as it does a Waxy Snare all over the Sailors, even complaining that she didn't even have the time to do her catchphrases.

The whole "Venus/Jupiter Fight" thing seems like it could have been a great episode, but it kind of gets thrown in as an afterthought to Usagi's continued moping over Mamoru.

(First Appearance: Jupiter's "Sparkling Wide Pressure" attack, Venus's "Venus Love-Me Chain!" attack)

(Monster Powers: Passing through walls, Hand Weapons, Snare)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #66: Petz & Calaveras are paired up AGAIN, which has always struck me as weird- why make two of the Sisters into a duo that always works together? This is the "curry" episode... which I don't remember at all, except that it was the first time I'd heard the term "curry" (this was before that type of food was like EVERYWHERE), which they use constantly, because Chibi-Usa has to make a "rice & curry" dish for her school, and Usagi & Mamoru are trying to help her. Chibi-Usa also mourns over missing her parents, giving us a shot of them in silhouette, where it is BRUTALLY obvious that it's just Mamoru & Usagi (20 YEAR SPOILER ALERT!).

There's a nice bit where Usagi gets left behind and Chibi-Usa recruits Rei in her place, but Rei (now that Usagi is out of earshot) is all sympathetic to her friend's cause and insists that it isn't right to do that. Then she MOPES about it! Naturally she'd never let USAGI see that side of her... And now the Sisters are drawing "Dark Energy" into a supermarket (naturally ruining curry ingredients... and yes, they really use the word "curry" like a million times here. You remember how in Avengers: EMH, Tony would shout "My Tech!" about five times an episode? Well this is about fifty times worse than that). Then their monster Avocadora (really) transforms and attacks. Ah, NOW I remember some of this episode: the monster essentially looks like a Hawaiian Island Girl stereotype, complete with a bra that's basically two cups over top of gigantic breasts. Dunno why I remember THAT of all things. Musta just stuck with me.

Tuxedo Mask & Avocadora actually get into a protracted FENCING MATCH with their respective weapons, but he just throws his cane at her head and then the Princess Halation finishes her. Petz & Calaveras them immediately flee. And it turns out that Usagi's curry actually DOESN'T suck as much as everyone is fearing it will!

(Monster Powers: Banana Sword, Avocado Grenades)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #67: Another one that never appeared in the Original Dub, as it's a standard "Beach Episode" (ie. the animators were allowed to draw teenage girls in swimsuits for 22 minutes, though only Mako rocks the two-piece). And there are PLESIOSAURS in it. Rei goes off on a deserted isle (which Japan has a LOT OF, given its archipelagoean nature), but the girls find out about it and follow her (it's... that easy? For teen girls to run off on their own with zero adults around?). There, she & Chibi-Usa get along even further, and it becomes a "thing" that they connect and become close. Makoto makes the dangerous decision to grill things while wearing a bikini.

OH MY GOD THE BABY PLESIOSAUR IS SO CUTE LOOK AT HIS GIANT EYES AWWWWWWW...!!!! There's a great bit where the characters question how Makoto is suddenly able to pilot a gigantic BOAT, and Mako just gives a casual "I can do anything" with a smirk. I love how one running gag is that the cats are having the most miserable time EVER in the heat and on the sea. None of their usual snarking- just agony. Then a volcano erupts (Rei must have the world's shittiest travel agent).

This provides a rare instance of the Sailors using their powers on non-Monster stuff, which is a better indication of their capabilities. Jupiter cracks open a huge crevase for the lava to flow into, while Venus can use the Love-Me Chain to pull a BOULDER into the way! Everyone is completely nonplussed to see Plesiosaurs there too, I might add- they're just like "oh, look- Plesiosaurs" like it ain't no thing. I guess once you take on the 90-Foot-Tall Bitch Queen of the Dark Kingdom, dino-shit just doesn't compare. Chibi-Usa adopts the little one, but the mom shows up after a pretty short "bonding" moment, and I can TOTALLY see why the Dub skipped this initially.