She-Ra: The Princesses of Power (Series Overview)

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Jabroniville

Re: She-Ra: The Princesses of Power (Series Overview)

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #10: So of course Entrapta isn't dead, but was left in the Fright Zone! But clever Cattra figures out how to make it seem like she was abandoned there, thus helping recruit them a new bad guy! Cattra also shows a bit of depth, feeling a bit bad when Shadow Weaver is brow-beaten. But S.W. IMMEDIATELY gets pissed off at the notion of being pitied before finally doing the "I was hard on you, but for GOOD REASON!" bit to ease it out.

Meanwhile, the Princesses mourn and split up in frustration over losing Entrapta, continuing to use awkward ways to not say "dead", and then immediately go "ENTRAPTA DIED!" and "I GOT YOUR FATHER KILLED!", which surprised me. Were they just being awkward on purpose?

In any case, Glimmer's powers and body are completely screwed up by Shadow Weaver's torture, and Queen Hepburn is frustrated over Glimmer being evasive, then horrified at what happened. She confesses that her own mission got King Micah killed, and that her own Princess Alliance fell apart under her own watch, and it shamed her- she tells Glimmer not to let the same thing happen with her.

So a bit more depth to both Cattra and the Queen.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #11: And NOW we get the "money" backstory- revealing the history of Adora & Catra as children, as their modern selves infiltrate an "Old Ones" stronghold and are faced with holographic memories. So the two fight, saving each other a few times from various defense mechanisms, and it SEEMS like we're about to have a coming to terms, but things don't go according to plan.

There's neat bits throughout- the young girls see Shadow Weaver's horrible face and the ENRAGED woman lashes out... but only at Catra, warning her never to draw the favored child into trouble ever again- she blows off Weaver's warning, but Adora spots her bawling later on- always prideful, that one.

Catra also does the classic "I'm gonna pretend X, but really Y" at other points, suggesting that "second place suits me just fine", only to stare at herself in the mirror after losing a gladatorial fight to Adora. Like, it reveals that a lot of her aloof personality is a defense mechanism and facade to blow off losses. And Adora's protectiveness of her just caused her more resentment, especially with "Who do you think took the fall for you when you left? Who was protecting me then?".

And her reasoning for returning the sword- "I didn't want you to come back", or was she B.S.ing "Not because I like you or anything"? But then both Young Catra and modern Catra's eyes meet after Young Adora promises to always stick by her- embittered and angry, Catra decides that she is stronger than anyone ever thought, and that Adora was only holding her back all along- time to see what her REAL potential is. She tosses the Sword into the abyss and leaves Adora there, promising to make a new life, and refusing to go join the Rebellion.

Yeah, that's a "Zuko Moment" right there- having the opportunity to do the right thing, but choosing evil & revenge out of pride, spite, and resentment.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Im watching season 5 right now and its been a doozy so far
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #12: Three stories at once, here- Adora learns the backstory of She-Ras throughout time, as she's given the "Luke Skywalker Option" of abandoning her friends and just training, as an old She-Ra failed because she couldn't let go such earthly attachments. Meanwhile, the winged horse from before finally meets the gang and has learned to talk- he's Swift Wind, of course, and he's a giant, arrogant ass.

The REAL meat, however, is Entrapta building stuff that uses the Rune Stones, which are actually Old Ones Tech that unites the entire planet of Etheria, AND are the sources of the Princess powers! Okay, now we're into the real Lore/Worldbuilding. Hordak has Imp spy on them, but gives his authority to their mission, but Shadow Weaver FREAKS at having her own chambers invaded by these kids- finally lashing out after many episodes of humiliations and browbeatings, she easily defeats Scorpia and Entrapta... but CATRA fights back! And while Weaver's all like "You suck! I always abused you!", Catra responds Zuko-style that all she did was train her how to FIGHT and take it- she easily avoids all of her mentor's best stuff, then strikes with her claws, BREAKING Shadow Weaver's forehead Runestone thingie! A powerless, shuddering Shadow Weaver is taken away while Entrapta's tech creates a massive winter storm over the Whispering Woods.

Pretty solid world-building episode, plus Catra gets another big-time moment. I'm shocked to see them blaze forward with Shadow Weaver so fast, but I assume there'll be more twists later.
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:58 amWe meet our first new Princess in Perfuma, who I first assumed was a trans girl because her face is even more masculine than Adora's and she's so tall and thin, but maybe not.
Rae Geiger, who did some of the visual design, confirmed the intention for Perfuma to be read as a trans girl on their Tumblr but it was never confirmed onscreen. I'm gonna headcanon it as applying though.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Scots Dragon wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:22 am
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:58 amWe meet our first new Princess in Perfuma, who I first assumed was a trans girl because her face is even more masculine than Adora's and she's so tall and thin, but maybe not.
Rae Geiger, who did some of the visual design, confirmed the intention for Perfuma to be read as a trans girl on their Tumblr but it was never confirmed onscreen. I'm gonna headcanon it as applying though.
Ah, that doesn't surprise me. Though I'm shocked she didn't tell anyone else, since most of the stereotypes about this show indicate that it would have gone over like crazy, lol. Maybe Netflix would've been like "nahhhh that's a BIT too far".
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Jabroniville wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:32 am
Scots Dragon wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:22 am
Ah, that doesn't surprise me. Though I'm shocked she didn't tell anyone else, since most of the stereotypes about this show indicate that it would have gone over like crazy, lol. Maybe Netflix would've been like "nahhhh that's a BIT too far".
Rae Geiger uses they/them pronouns and is nonbinary, IIRC.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #13: Alright, time for the Season Finale- all of the Whispering Woods are frozen over, the Princess Alliance is in tatters, and Catra is now leading the Horde right to the Rune Stone (when did they introduce these? I feel that this is new from last episode)! So things are at their darkest- the way a good Season Finale should begin.

Humorously, the almost literal background characters Netossa & Spinnerella reveal that they're adequate fighters, so the heroes do okay. Glimmer has a cool staff weapon, too. But the other Princesses don't answer the summons ("they all have their OWN kingdoms to protect"), the Horde damages Queen Angella badly, and Catra fights She-Ra one-on-one, which is ANOTHER necessity in this Finale. Catra does her "hit & run" thing, again proving her combat skill, but just as She-Ra starts to win, Catra's like "haha, this was just to delay you", and Angella falls. The Horde looks to win... so of COURSE we throw out the "Badass Rescue", as Mermista, Seahawk, Perfuma and even FROSTA all come in for the save, wiping out the Horde with ease. The Princesses do their "Sailor Moon Moment" (I'd be amazed if that wasn't the literal inspiration- a ton of allies standing beside the blonde-haired Princess Main Character and her Special Weapon?) and perform an almost literal CARE BEAR STARE, thus blasting away the Horde in a literal rainbow that washes them over.

The day is saved, and Catra fails. But she talks back to Hordak, and he acknowledges that she is now his second-in-command.

Very solid finale, though I'd have liked to see the other Princesses justify why they answer the call- especially Frosta, who was last seen rejecting Adora & Co. Granted, she SHOULD know her kingdom was attacked, but we never even saw her reaction to it. The Catra/She-Ra fight was well done (though most of Catra's big character stuff was last episode). Overall, I'm digging the compressed season, as it doesn't produce too much "filler".

All done with this season! I'll be back to Sailor Stars after this! Then maybe head back after the next DVD, or just plow through that whole show and then come back.