Godzilla Thread

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
bsdigitalq

Godzilla Thread

Post by bsdigitalq »

Figured I'd start a thread for this, since it seems I've kinda/sorta hijacked the MonsterVision thread into this. Hehe, my apologies. So yeah, everything Godzilla, let's talk about it here. :D
HalloweenJack

Re: Godzilla Thread

Post by HalloweenJack »

Well, Godzilla was a good piece of Monstervision, but yeah I think the King deserves his own thread

Like I said there, I can't remember a time when I didn't have Godzilla in my life.

My late uncle would always tape Godzilla movies for me and call my parents when they were on to tell me they were on. good man. Also contributed to my love of pro wrestling....which in its way is very Godzilla like or versey vicey as they say
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

well finally saw Godzilla Resurgence. I liked it overall.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

http://www.1000misspenthours.com/review ... rgence.htm

more or less agree with El Santo's review there
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

Wow, that was actually a pretty damn good review. Probably the best one I've read on the movie.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

El Santo generally knows his shiznit when it comes to genre films. One of the last great bastions of the text reviews out there.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

i'm not gonna lie;as an official 40 year old(as of day-before-yesterday),I have officially seen every single Godzilla movie ever made& he will always be considered the "King Of The Monsters"....though I DO wish they'd have a rematch between him and Kong(that never ended the right way for me personally)
Ken

Post by Ken »

MacynSnow wrote:i'm not gonna lie;as an official 40 year old(as of day-before-yesterday),I have officially seen every single Godzilla movie ever made& he will always be considered the "King Of The Monsters"....though I DO wish they'd have a rematch between him and Kong(that never ended the right way for me personally)
How could it? Kong was usually depicted as being between 20 and 40 ft. high. Godzilla is depicted between 200 and 400 ft. high. Increasing Kong's size by a factor of ten rang false.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ken wrote:
MacynSnow wrote:i'm not gonna lie;as an official 40 year old(as of day-before-yesterday),I have officially seen every single Godzilla movie ever made& he will always be considered the "King Of The Monsters"....though I DO wish they'd have a rematch between him and Kong(that never ended the right way for me personally)
How could it? Kong was usually depicted as being between 20 and 40 ft. high. Godzilla is depicted between 200 and 400 ft. high. Increasing Kong's size by a factor of ten rang false.
I'm talking about all the interference and blatant Kong Favoritism in the movie,not the size....(though it would explain why Godzilla hated Tokyo for a long as he did)...
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ken wrote: How could it? Kong was usually depicted as being between 20 and 40 ft. high. Godzilla is depicted between 200 and 400 ft. high. Increasing Kong's size by a factor of ten rang false.
Godzilla was shorter in the earlier films; In the 1954 film and its immediate sequels, Godzilla was approximately 50 meters tall — this is best shown in the famous scene where Godzilla smashes the National Diet Building, whose central tower is 65.45 meters high.

Kong was about seven meters tall in the 1933 original film, he was scaled up to Godzilla-size in his film fighting the King of All Monsters. But remember this was in an era long before home video... Barring a theatrical re-release (which few films got) most people in the audience wouldn't have ever actually seen the original King Kong. So when King King versus Godzilla came out in 1962, basically an entire generation of movie goers had only word of mouth memories of the 1933 film to judge things by. (And yes, Kong got top billing in the Japanese title too: キングコング対ゴジラ Kingu Kongu Tai Gozira).

Although I should note that Eiji Tsubaraya, special effects director on all the best Godzilla films, actually owned an original print of King Kong and is known to have been kind of obsessed with it. One of his main inspirations for getting into film (and I mean film, period, not just SFX) was King Kong!

Anyhoo, the ending was pretty lackluster: Kong and Godzilla square off at the foot of Mount Fuji. Epic battle is epic and leads to them both smashing through a meticulous scale model of Atami Castle. They then fall off a cliff together into the ocean. After a mostly unseen underwater battle, only King Kong resurfaces and begins to swim towards his island home. There is no sign of Godzilla, but the human viewpoint characters speculate that it's probable that Godzilla survived. The JSDF decides not to pursue Kong but, rather, let him return home...

It's basically a draw.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

There's a new "Godzilla vs Kong" movie coming out in 2020, after "Kong: Skull Island" next year and "Godzilla: King of Monsters" (sequel to the 2014 movie) in 2019.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Godzilla's aquatic; he had no need to resurface.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ken wrote:Godzilla's aquatic; he had no need to resurface.
No in-universe reason. But he had a narrative reason: proving to the audience that he was still alive and ready for more!

It's the same reason you always see the Slasher Movie badguy thrust his hand out of the dirt in the final frame of splatter horror flicks.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

In my mind, it would go something like this:

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

if you can ever find it, I really recommend watching the Japanese version of King Kong vs Godzilla. MUCH better movie.

None of that UN news network BS, nor Dr. Arnold Johnson and his knowledge of everything, better music, more character depth in the humans, no favoritism towards Kong. It's the bee's knees.