Justice League Action

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
bsdigitalq

Justice League Action

Post by bsdigitalq »

http://www.superherohype.com/news/38629 ... e#/slide/1

So the latest Justice League cartoon is coming out on December 16 with a four-parter titled "Shazam Slam". Lotta folks seem to be throwing shade on this for looking "too kiddie," and while I can agree with that when it comes to certain character takes (Toyman, Chronos, Mongul, Parasite), at the same time its a little refreshing, and anyone who wants more "mature" stuff (*laughs hysterically*) can just go to the movies and upcoming new season of Young Justice.

Plus, that Wonder Woman! Love the wild hair on her. <3
Ken

Re: Justice League Action

Post by Ken »

They list 'the Wizard' and 'Shazam' as two people. This'll keep me from tuning in.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

Not a fan of the look. I prefer the Young Justice animation style. I couldn't get into Teen Titans Go or the goofy take on Ultimate Spider-Man.
Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

you know.....from watching one of the trailers.....does Wonder Woman ever like defend Superman or Batman from any of the Amazons "ewwwww men!" at any point? not just here, but ever?
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Well, I watched it, and it was . . . weird.

I can appreciate the energy, enthusiasm and some of the voice acting, but I can't really say I like this show. It feels akin to something like a Justice League version of Teen Titans Go!, just a little less silly and a little more action packed. But it comes off as a lot goofier and silly than even Batman: The Brave and the Bold, which is about as light as I like my superhero shows. Overall, I don't see myself following the show.

The plot of Black Adam taking control of the Rock of Eternity and freeing the evil entities imprisoned there is actually a good one, but . . . well, they never explain how Adam got that orb that contained Billy's powers, it was just a macguffin to move the plot along. Black Adam was in a mostly classic look, which was pretty cool, albeit throwing a lot more lightning around than I care for. Shazam needed to learn a lesson in humility from Batman, which was also weird since Shazam is usually in the mentor role, but a lot of it could be chalked up to Shazam being worried about Billy. It was nice that this was mostly the classic wizard Shazam, as it's made clear that Billy says his name to transform.

It's crazy how loose the show is with their own continuity, even in the first 40 minutes. When Black Adam is defeated, Shazam says he's exiled him to the furthest point in the universe to get rid of Adam for a few centuries. Then only two episodes/20 minutes later, Batman says that Shazam sent Adam back in time and burried him deep within the Earth . . . which just gave Adam time to master his control of his magic. This show seems built on "don't think about it".

Billy himself was . . . mixed. I liked the fact that it wasn't Shazam or Batman who ultimately freed Billy, but Billy's inner strength of will summoning his powers to him and transforming, albeit with a little pep talk from Shazam. Billy being the one to rally the Justice League around him later, and him and Superman defeating Black Adam with a combo uppercut was pretty cool.

The show also never actually calls Billy either Shazam or Captain Marvel. They just refer to Billy as "Billy" and most of the heroes referred to his superhero form as "kid". Billy himself is . . . like I said, I liked his willpower at summoning his power, I liked his enthusiasm, and I liked the parts where he tried to reign in his enthusiasm and act more mature. He definitely wasn't a jerk like NU-Billy or JL: War/Throne of Atlantis Billy . . . . but he does come off as someone who can't focus, and has a few moments like JL: War where he comes off as kind of a dumbass. Though this show pretty much plays everyone for comedy except Batman. And of course his superhero mode resembles his Nu-52 look, which I can't stand.

So an overall weird showing. Classic Shazam and Black Adam, a very exaggerated but not completely unlikable Billy, and an okay-ish unamed Shazam powered form. Overall probably the weakest Billy/Cap portrayal we've seen on TV, but that's less a bad portrayal of Billy and just more indicative of what kind of show this is. It was kind of cool that a Captain Marvel story sets off the series and is what kicks off the action. Still, 40 minutes / 4 episodes in and I don't see myself following the series.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

And I completely forgot it was on and missed watching it. Though based on Ares' review, it sounds like that is a good thing. I hate huge loopholes, continuity that can't even keep things straight in the same episode/storyline, and anything to do with the NU52 for the most part. Plus I watched Teen Titans Go! for a while, only because I thought my brother liked it [turns out we each only watched it because we thought the other did and wanted to have something to discuss.] and quit after the Hanukah episode. Anything sillier than Batman: The Brave and the Bold would get on my nerves, fast. Hopefully they learn from Young Justice and make better animated series, instead of continuing with this silliness over character development or good plots with their animated series.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I personally didn't think the show was THAT bad(ok,maybe a little too "Kid-downed" for my taste,but it's better than nothin'!),but here's something a little more in-depth:
Justice League Roster-while i had no problem with the majority of the crew(why did they replace Flash with Swamp Thing?!),i think they came across as more "Challenge of the Super Friends" then the Actual JL...

Character Interaction-never not let it be said that the voice actor's didn't try to make the script work.I mean,Wonder Woman's first reaction to the Meteor strike on Parasite was "Good Ridance"?Really?! never mind THE GUARDS&DRIVER that were around the Van....

Overall-i can at least say with some pride that,while Marvel Animated Studios can't touch DC Animated with a Kryptonite Bazooka at Point Blank Range,they at least keep their Character's in some sort of character continuty....
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Honestly, between Justice League Action and Teen Titans, GO!, I'm not sure DC has the leg up on Marvel it use to. Avengers Assemble and Ultimate Spider-Man are both pretty disappointing, and I haven't seen Agents of Smash, so the only way DC will maintain its edge is once Young Justice comes back on the air.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Just watched the first 7 episodes. I'm enjoying it, despite the meh character redesigns.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.