CW Superheroes: The Flash, Arrow, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: CW Superheroes: The Flash, Arrow, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Canary's preferences don't always come up in the show, but when they do, they tend to really show up. To be fair, there's plenty of playboy-type guys in media all the time, but I hardly ever see lesbian or bisexual woman in media that aren't overly sexualfied.

That said... I do actually enjoy the show, what episodes I've seen. Baldie is my favorite of the bunch. Enjoyed The Flash as well, but I still have yet to watch second season+, and I've only seen a smattering of The Arrow from whenever my dad has it on. Supergirl... Eh, I don't know, just dosn't click for me.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

Bladewind wrote:For Supergirl and Legend though, White Canary and Alex Danvers sexual preferences are too in your face. I personally don`t care who likes who if it advances the character or story... and while it does a little for Alex, neither character matters enough to me to care...
You get straight people's sexuality in your face all the time. I just want Alex's coming out to mean something. Not a stunt, not a sweep's event, etc. Make it a permanent aspect to her character, and I'm good. Whether she gets into a relationship with Maggie or not. Personally, I don't want her to, because it's another half assing of an existing character (Maggie), like what they're doing on the other shows, e.g. Arrow and this season's nonsense. Let Alex have her own girlfriend and leave Maggie to be with Kate Kane.

I want to like Sara (I like Caity as an actor), but like all the other characters on Legends, she's written without subtlety. I hate Heatwave, but want to appreciate Dominic's over-the-top performance (I think there's room for that). But they won't go where they need to with him. The same thing with Sara. I need them to be dark. It doesn't have to be "let's stop Sara before she kills again" every week, because that just makes her cardstock (though it was fine, right when she came out of the pit, but you can't sustain that dramatically).

I don't know. I watch Supergirl with my ten year old niece and I'm happy to stick a crayon in my brain while I do so. The other shows irritate me because they could be so much more.
Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat
Ken

Post by Ken »

Tom Felton as Doctor Alchemy .... "Draco Malfoy and the Philosopher's* Stone"?

* - In the U.S. they changed it to "Sorcerer's Stone" for the HP francise.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

badpenny wrote: I just want Alex's coming out to mean something.
Precisely. And I don`t think it will.
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Also... Jay also has a lot of qualities that I remember being part of Max Mercury....
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
danelsan

Post by danelsan »

badpenny wrote:I just want Alex's coming out to mean something.
Maybe not in a quality storytelling kind of way but...Well, besides getting just about every gay person I personally know that watches the show very happy, according to this story on twitter (which I have not found any reason to doubt) it apparently also means at least one gay kid might not feel like committing suicide, so I don't feel like I should criticize it too much...

After that this girl got numerous offers to send her the money for the comics, but she directed these people to Equality Florida* instead.

*Donations go to survivors, their families, and victims' families of the Pulse Nightclub attack
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Damn.

Thanks for posting that.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Something I don't get about this show... well, I get it, but I don't really like it.

Mon-El.

Not the character. The name. His name is Lar Gand. Why can't Mon-El have been an assumed name... they could even have gone M'onel (Martian for Wanderer)...

And at the end of this ep, they could have had creepy aliens say "Where is Lar Gand of Daxam" and I'd have been happy. Would have fit into the story with no retconning.... Just a question for everyone not a comic fan of 'huh?' ...and when the inevitable reveal of who Mon-El is - i.e. as the Prince of Daxam - he could say that he took the name of the House of El from Krypton because he thought no one would think of him because of it, and he could either use M'onel as his hero name, or they could build to him becoming Valor....

* sigh *

That may be too much comic book nerd wishfulness though.

Favourite Winn moment now though.

"I'm not the Red Shirt !"
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I finally caught that alien invasion crossover and for the most part, it was alright. I liked the obvious Hall of Justice reference, I thought the action was decent for a TV series, I actually liked how Kara played off of the other heroes, and generally it was a lot of fun. The Supergirl part of the crossover was a bit weak, and could have been skipped entirely from the larger narrative. It was nice that this finally wrapped up the "Cisco hates Barry" subplot, though I wish it had been Cisco realizing that Barry understood that preserving the timeline was important enough to let his mother be murdered.

Supergirl being able to take on every hero in the Flash/Arrow-verse seemed like a bit much tho. Granted, most of them are just human level fighters, but given some of the technology and powers the heroes have, I'd expect them to beat her with enough coordination. Though that might have been the point: that they weren't coordinated yet.

Also weird Cisco wouldn't have taken this chance to costume up for the crossover.

Still, overall this did have the feel of something like the Avenges film, if not nearly as well written or pulled off. Pretty fun for what it was, and hopefully it'll just improve moreso next year.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

One thing from last night`s Supergirl ep. Kara just defined herself as a hero. Full Stop. No discussion.

There is a scene in there the ep that is the essence of Superman and Supergirl that we have not seen on screen in years for either character.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Found thee Ep of the Flash to be a little slow-ish compared to recent eps and the overall Savitar thing... But I supposed they need to start dialing Cisco up, something something something.

This version of Gypsy was cool though, fighting in the CatCo office was cute...

As for this week's Supergirl... just me or is her logic a little skewed regarding James as Guardian? I don't like that subplot, mind you, and I'm with her on wanting him to stop but for different reasons than Kara's. What bugged me a helluva lot was her "you have no powers" bull. She lost her powers last week and continued to fight (hell, she was getting a beat down and kept getting up...) and last season after her first Solar Flare, she suited up with a broken arm and bluffed a gunman into surrendering his weapon.... Helllooo.... No powers and you were a hero Kara... and without the fancy gear that James wears for at least the semblance of an edge...
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Plus she just teamed up with the Arrowverse heroes, 80% of whom are just normal people with either gadgets or special training.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Good point.

* sigh * :roll:
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

I've given up on the other shows, but I still watch Supergirl mainly because I do so with my 10 year old niece--who loves it. I also GM her in our weekly get-togethers and that's a lot of fun (not M&M, but Fate Accelerated supers, which is the best at four-color).

Anyway, my niece made the comment that it was BS Kara was standing in James' way and more or less pointed out the same kinds of things you guys are saying. She pointed out the scene in the van where James had been creased by a bullet and still has his eagerness for "one more."

She liked the twist for Livewire and applauded Kara letting her get away (for now). Of course, she can't stop saying asshat and wants to RP as [a good] Livewire for our next scenario. LOL
Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

I still maintain her stated reasons are more the BS part than actually standing in the way.

James... If you get hurt I`ll never forgive myself... While remaining pretty lame, would still be better.