Netflix Iron Fist Cancelled

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
BriarThrone

Netflix Iron Fist Cancelled

Post by BriarThrone »

I was always a defender (wait, huh?) of this show. It wasn't flawless, but I could appreciate the good aspects. I was never satisfied with the plot as it was, but I looked at it as a building process. They were laying a (more or less) solid foundation for something that could have been great.

Now that's gone. The series is not being continued, and we're left with just the series as it stands. And... I'm extremely disappointed.

The first season was about a Danny Rand that was just growing into his power, and we saw him as a confused young man trying to find his place in a home he no longer belonged in, rather than, y'know, a hero trying to fix his city through violent vigilante justice. The use of his power was limited. Without much Iron Fist in it, it could have been any mediocre kung fu serial without changing much, but that's kind of okay because I like those too. The first season ends in a dramatic revelation about Kun Lun, which was followed up on... never. It's like the "mystic city" element, while spawning all the plot hooks, was, as an actual location, baggage for the showrunner, which I would object to strenuously. If there were future seasons, there would be a possibility of finding a techno-magical bridge and visiting the city itself, possibly at the beginning of the middle of a huge tournament of champions, for instance. But no.

The second season has Danny losing control of himself to the power... which is never resolved. He loses the power to Davos, and instead of reclaiming it, he gives it to Colleen. Because reasons, probably of the "progressive fans want to empower the women!" variety. So screw giving the hero an actual arc that's actually resolved. Yeah, we might have gotten that eventually, but now we're left with a parting shot of Danny using Orson Randall's guns, while Colleen holds the real power of the Iron Fist. WE NEVER EVEN GOT TO SEE DANNY VS DAVOS AT FULL POWER!

Goddamn, this is unsatisfying.
M4C8

Re: Netflix Iron Fist Cancelled

Post by M4C8 »

Hopefully he'll continue on in the MCU in some way, I would still love to see IF in a movie even if it's just as part of a team.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

M4C8 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:52 pm Hopefully he'll continue on in the MCU in some way, I would still love to see IF in a movie even if it's just as part of a team.
Apparently he'll still do guest appearances and any future seasons of Defenders.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

It got cancelled on NETFLIX. When Disney starts their own streaming service in 2019, they have the rights to continue or redoing it.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Luke Cage just got cancelled as well. Maybe they'll do a Heroes for Hire series? Or is this the end of the Netflix Marvel franchises?
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Ares wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:58 am Luke Cage just got cancelled as well. Maybe they'll do a Heroes for Hire series? Or is this the end of the Netflix Marvel franchises?
I'm hoping that's the case. I need some satisfaction on those plot threads they left dangling.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Apparently Netflix only have a few seasons left in their deal with Marvel, so culling what isn't bringing in the revenue/kudos.

I can see a Heroes for Hire/daughters of the Dragon series coming
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Corrigon wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:33 am Apparently Netflix only have a few seasons left in their deal with Marvel, so culling what isn't bringing in the revenue/kudos.

I can see a Heroes for Hire/daughters of the Dragon series coming
Hopefully we'll end things with a final season of Defenders and go out with a bang. It would be kind of cool to see these characters appear in other MCU properties, but at the same time, I wouldn't mind seeing the MCU guys just do their own versions of the characters and re-invent them for the films. Daredevil to me is the only one that really embraced the superhero aspect to its fullest, and while I enjoyed every Netflix series to some extent, I also had issues with them all as well. Both Luke Cage and Jessica Jones were honestly kind of boring at times, while Iron Fist struggled to embrace the "fun kung fu" aspect of the character and get Danny's personality right.

I think I'd ultimately look at these films as kind of "prototype" ideas for the MCU, and start fresh with MCU film versions of the heroes that have the budget and talent to really do the characters justice. Daredevil could work as either a solo film or as a team-up film with Spider-Man, do a proper Heroes for Hire film, etc.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Read an article earlier that says the Luke Cage cancellation was due to behind the scenes issues and not related to why they cancelled Iron Fist
Davies

Post by Davies »

Ares wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:12 pm Hopefully we'll end things with a final season of Defenders
I suspect not, they have referred to that as a mini-series, not something that will get a second season. I think there might be a third Jessica Jones series and/or a second Punisher, but I would not wager anything important on either.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

I'd say those are still getting attention, so in all likelihood, we will get another season of both.