Captain Marvel MCU

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
catsi563

Re: Captain Marvel MCU

Post by catsi563 »

Well plot holes and disagreements about such aside one things clear any attempt to boycott or otherwise shut the movie down have failed miserably Current Box Office for Carol is 992.60 Million and counting strong possibility for her to hit the 1 billion mark this weekend
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Demographics count. The film speaks to a lot of people. I felt the same way when Rent, or The Notebook, came out. Not great pieces, but their target audience ate them up.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Ares, I'd say that The Last Jedi comparison MAY be accurate. Cap Marvel HAS split the fanbase as some of them hate the movie for Brie Larson's behaviour. I personally don't care. If I did, Winter Soldier would not be my favourite movie of the entire MCU, because Chris Evans' politics makes me roll my eyes. I'm Canadian, I don't care about American and their silly Twitter insanity.

But after Endgame, we'll see if the MCU can survive without Iron Man, Cap America and Thor.
catsi563 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:35 am Well plot holes and disagreements about such aside one things clear any attempt to boycott or otherwise shut the movie down have failed miserably Current Box Office for Carol is 992.60 Million and counting strong possibility for her to hit the 1 billion mark this weekend
There's circumstantial evidence that Disney may have interfered with the Box Office numbers. Getting Rotten Tomatoes to shut down the Interest meter, claiming that they were 'false reviews' when they were just gauging audience interest. Then there's the purging of 40k+ scores on the movie, claiming to be trolls, despite that less than 100 of them mentioning anything about Brie Larson's online behaviour. And yes, Disney MAY have had a hand in this because Fandango, who owns RT, their CEO is a former Disney executive. This sort of collusion is very common of late. Slightly off topic, for example, CBS owns Comicbook.com and uses the website for positive reviews of Star Trek: Discovery, a property CBS owns.

There's the fact that they opened up in more IMAX and 3D theatres that any other Disney movie, after having the ticket prices go up by $1. Then the supposed images of nearly empty theatres, that supposedly no one is allowed to get a refund for the pre-orders. Oh, and Captain Marvel is STILL in 3000 theatres three weeks AFTER release. This is not normal for any film.

Deadline Hollywood claiming that Captain Marvel needed 750m worldwide to BREAK even, and the rumour that it needs to break 450m to break even DOMESTICALLY, there's a lot of hinky stuff happening around this movie, which definitely muddies the information. It's been a REALLY weird release for this movie.

I don't recall ANYONE thinking that it was going to bomb. I claimed it would do Ant-Man numbers, and honestly, there's inflation we need to consider, but I'm pretty sure Cap Marvel did decently. But this media blitz around the movie has been INSANE.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

catsi563 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:42 pm Well Criticisms or not-
catsi563 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:35 am Well plot holes and disagreements about such aside-
catsi563 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:42 pm she just passed the 900+ million mark
catsi563 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:35 am Current Box Office for Carol is 992.60 Million and counting strong possibility for her to hit the 1 billion mark this weekend
I'm sensing a pattern here. :D
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

*shrugs* meh just pointing out facts her current BO is still on going and with the weekend coming shes likely to hit the 1 billion mark. as for the so called 40k purge most of those as I showed earlier were posted before the movie even came out a number far in excess of what should have been given that IW barely had 50+k for its entire run.

Did I enjoy the movie sure I did. Hell it was one of the first in a long time I actually held debate with myself as to whether to see it in IMAX and pay the extra to do so. its been successful and I think deservedly so.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Catsi stories
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

catsi563 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:39 pm *shrugs* meh just pointing out facts her current BO is still on going and with the weekend coming shes likely to hit the 1 billion mark. as for the so called 40k purge most of those as I showed earlier were posted before the movie even came out a number far in excess of what should have been given that IW barely had 50+k for its entire run.

Did I enjoy the movie sure I did. Hell it was one of the first in a long time I actually held debate with myself as to whether to see it in IMAX and pay the extra to do so. its been successful and I think deservedly so.
I've got no problem with you or anyone liking the film, given I thought the film was okay. I just find the repeated "well, if you ignore the criticisms, plot holes and controversies it's made a lot of money" comments very "Michael Bay". ;) No hard feelings.

I mean, a boycott was never going to work with Carol, and people trying for that were kidding themselves. It's the first MCU film of the year and the lead in to Endgame. There was no way it wasn't going to make bank.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

For me I guess Im getting a bit of smugness out of the fact that a lot of people were trying to torpedo it before it even got off the ground for some pretty petty reasons. I mean if you saw it and didn't like it sure no worries. Might disagree on the reasons but that's fair.

but this was a pretty concerted effort to derail the movie and it had a pretty well defined group behind it.

as for Bay meh I can enjoy a few explosions as much as anyone

Catsi stories
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

Generally speaking "It's made a lot of money" isn't really an endorsement of quality in today's market for pretty much anything. I mean, Ares gave Michael bay films as an example but there's also Twilight, 50 Shades, Transformers, heck even Pirates of the Caribbean on stranger tides grossed over 1billion. Hell, the Minions movie was apparently the 10th highest grossing film of all time when it came out, and On Stranger Tides once capped at 6th. The Disney Live Action remakes are on the list for highest grossing movies of all time despite them all being terrible and missing the points that made the originals charming and memorable.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

squirrelly-sama wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:39 am Generally speaking "It's made a lot of money" isn't really an endorsement of quality in today's market for pretty much anything. I mean, Ares gave Michael bay films as an example but there's also Twilight, 50 Shades, Transformers, heck even Pirates of the Caribbean on stranger tides grossed over 1billion. Hell, the Minions movie was apparently the 10th highest grossing film of all time when it came out, and On Stranger Tides once capped at 6th. The Disney Live Action remakes are on the list for highest grossing movies of all time despite them all being terrible and missing the points that made the originals charming and memorable.
The Michael Bay Transformers films were exactly what I was thinking of when I mentioned him, as he supposedly has said he has the highest grossing, worst reviewed movies of all time.

Now you certainly can't take away that a film that breaks the billion dollar mark is financially successful (assuming there weren't too many behind the scenes costs), and that it's the primary type of success most studios are interested in. They want a movie to be critically accepted and want it to be free from controversy, but what they ultimately need is for the film to deliver back on the time and money put into it. And as a business, you can't really argue that.

But once you put any kind of work out there for public consumption, it's up for analysis and critique. And sometimes a movies success has less to do with its own content than what its competition is. I like Aquaman just fine, but I wonder if it would have hit the billion dollar mark if it had any serious competition at the time. There's no reason it should have done better than a movie like Capt. America: Winter Soldier. No one can take Capt. Marvel's financial success away from it, but that doesn't negate criticisms of the film or the possibility that other factors played into it.

Like, hypothetically, if you had swapped out Ant-Man and the Wasp and Captain Marvel, would AM&TW have done better because it was the lead up film to Endgame, rather than being the film that people didn't see over and over because they were potentially fatigued from seeing Infinity War so much?

catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

At any rate its official now she hit 1 billion and counting probably still has till the weekend where Shazam will Id wager safely unseat the captain from the top spot

Catsi stories
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Yeah, unfortunately the only thing that a big box office really means is that a sequal is likely.

I can think of a large number of high grossing movies which are... really quite bad.
And a lot of really low grossing movies that were really quite good.

But at the end of the day the movie companies are more interested in money than quality.

But I can't really say anything, because had Serenity made big money in the Box Office I'd have been shouting about it from the mountain tops :lol:
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Arkrite wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:05 pm Yeah, unfortunately the only thing that a big box office really means is that a sequal is likely.

I can think of a large number of high grossing movies which are... really quite bad.
And a lot of really low grossing movies that were really quite good.

But at the end of the day the movie companies are more interested in money than quality.

But I can't really say anything, because had Serenity made big money in the Box Office I'd have been shouting about it from the mountain tops :lol:
Unlike me, who spent zero time bragging about Frozen being THE BIGGEST ANIMATED MOVIE OF ALL TIME.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:29 pm Unlike me, who spent zero time bragging about Frozen being THE BIGGEST ANIMATED MOVIE OF ALL TIME.
Truly you are in inspiration to us all ;~)
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Ares wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:54 am The Michael Bay Transformers films were exactly what I was thinking of when I mentioned him, as he supposedly has said he has the highest grossing, worst reviewed movies of all time.
Uwe Boll might be a close runner-up. People have occasionally questioned why he kept getting work when his movies were so bad, and the simple answer was that his movies had generally turned a profit before they were even released. He was a master of funding.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

Uwe Boll master of the German tax system