Captain Marvel MCU

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
BriarThrone

Re: Captain Marvel MCU

Post by BriarThrone »

HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:13 pm
BriarThrone wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:40 am
HalloweenJack wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:59 pm so...new trailer....go
We all wish it would.
details?
Larson continues to lack physical presence, but instead of lacking emotion, she seems... smug. She talks about ending a horrific, extremely long war in tones that would otherwise be reserved for online gaming shit-talk. The line "I'll end it" should be delivered firmly, with conviction. Instead of a warrior facing a daunting challenge that she is determined to defeat, she sounds like a bully looking at a target with contempt. I pick that line, because it's so emblatic of the problem, but that is just one of the two modes that she seems to have. Smug asshole, or shell-shocked survivor.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

BriarThrone wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:43 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:13 pm
BriarThrone wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:40 am

We all wish it would.
details?
Larson continues to lack physical presence, but instead of lacking emotion, she seems... smug. She talks about ending a horrific, extremely long war in tones that would otherwise be reserved for online gaming shit-talk. The line "I'll end it" should be delivered firmly, with conviction. Instead of a warrior facing a daunting challenge that she is determined to defeat, she sounds like a bully looking at a target with contempt. I pick that line, because it's so emblatic of the problem, but that is just one of the two modes that she seems to have. Smug asshole, or shell-shocked survivor.
I think that's Kree propaganda for you. At one point in the trailer she said that the Kree are "a race of heroes", opposed to "a race of warriors" as Nick Fury said. My guess is that's how Carol would see herself for the first half of the movie: a hero in some kind of glorious war, instead ofa soldier in a real one.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

I'm with Woodclaw on this one.

Marvel's done pretty well overall in the MCU, so I'll trust their track record at least until I see the full movie for myself. It could be shit, it could be good. We just don't know yet.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

HalloweenJack wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:14 pm I'm with Woodclaw on this one.

Marvel's done pretty well overall in the MCU, so I'll trust their track record at least until I see the full movie for myself. It could be shit, it could be good. We just don't know yet.
I hope I'm wrong, but if these trailers were for any other movie, no one would be talking about watching it. If the fault lies with the promotion crew, and we're just seeing the crap, fine, but wow, some people need to be fired either way.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Why are people talking about 'multiple trailers'? There's only been one. Re-cut and reshuffled two more times, but it's still all they got.

But Cheese Woman still has no personality other having a RBF.
Corrigon

Post by Corrigon »

There is more than one trailer, which does give us more information and shows more range for her, mostly regarding Fury and the cat and interactions with Monica Rambeau.
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

This movie is still a no for me.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Corrigon wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:34 pm There is more than one trailer, which does give us more information and shows more range for her, mostly regarding Fury and the cat and interactions with Monica Rambeau.
Monica hasn't been seen yet. I'm not sure she'll be in the film, her MOTHER, Maria, is the woman you see Carl interacting with.

(Which apparently, is a single mom. Uh, no. Anyone whose ever been Air Force would know that unless there was a way that her daughter would have a 100% chance of being taken care of by family, in case of Pilot accident/death, Maria Rambeau would NOT be anywhere near a cockpit. The Air Force is not in the business of orphaning children. But hey! Movies!)
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

Chris Brady wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:19 pm
Corrigon wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:34 pm There is more than one trailer, which does give us more information and shows more range for her, mostly regarding Fury and the cat and interactions with Monica Rambeau.
Monica hasn't been seen yet. I'm not sure she'll be in the film, her MOTHER, Maria, is the woman you see Carl interacting with.

(Which apparently, is a single mom. Uh, no. Anyone whose ever been Air Force would know that unless there was a way that her daughter would have a 100% chance of being taken care of by family, in case of Pilot accident/death, Maria Rambeau would NOT be anywhere near a cockpit. The Air Force is not in the business of orphaning children. But hey! Movies!)
She's single cuz she "don't need no man" she's woke.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

I used to like Carol back when she was Warbird but since the first Civil War I've come to like her less and less. The MCU version seem to be a combination of all the worst aspects of comic book Carol. Not only does it look like she's going to be 'Captain Marry-Sue' she's the embodiment of 'Female characters can only be effective if they're extreme feminists'

I can honestly say I hope I'm wrong about this movie and it ends up being great.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

M4C8 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:52 pm I used to like Carol back when she was Warbird but since the first Civil War I've come to like her less and less. The MCU version seem to be a combination of all the worst aspects of comic book Carol. Not only does it look like she's going to be 'Captain Marry-Sue' she's the embodiment of 'Female characters can only be effective if they're extreme feminists'

I can honestly say I hope I'm wrong about this movie and it ends up being great.
It's hilarious, because Black Widow is one of the most celebrated characters of the MCU, and she's an elite normal, and largely ignores gender politics. She's just all competence and charisma and dealing with real, practical problems. Captain Marvel looks to be her opposite in every way. And Larson is determined to tell the world before release that it IS an activist film, despite Disney desperately trying to shut her up.

I want the movie to be good, but I doubt it.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

BriarThrone wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:43 pm
M4C8 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:52 pm I used to like Carol back when she was Warbird but since the first Civil War I've come to like her less and less. The MCU version seem to be a combination of all the worst aspects of comic book Carol. Not only does it look like she's going to be 'Captain Marry-Sue' she's the embodiment of 'Female characters can only be effective if they're extreme feminists'

It's hilarious, because Black Widow is one of the most celebrated characters of the MCU, and she's an elite normal, and largely ignores gender politics. She's just all competence and charisma and dealing with real, practical problems. Captain Marvel looks to be her opposite in every way. And Larson is determined to tell the world before release that it IS an activist film, despite Disney desperately trying to shut her up.

I want the movie to be good, but I doubt it.
I may have said this before but I'll say it again anyway, the movie will no doubt be successful but as we've seen with previous movies such as Black Panther box office success doesn't necessarily equate with quality.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

M4C8 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:11 pm I may have said this before but I'll say it again anyway, the movie will no doubt be successful but as we've seen with previous movies such as Black Panther box office success doesn't necessarily equate with quality.
I dunno. There is a lot less excitement for this movie than for Black Panther in the wider community, and the marketing missteps are getting obnoxious.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Well, all the negative reviews have a common theme: It's boring. That's it biggest problem.

The positive reviews are as you'd expect.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

welp folks have spoken and Carols a hit 188+ million and climbing for her first couple days and weekend isn't over yet. near 80+ million combined opening looks to make her one of the highest grossing films for marvel in their top 10 at least.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories