Captain Marvel MCU

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
catsi563

Captain Marvel MCU

Post by catsi563 »

Well with the new trailer released Im hyped.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
M4C8

Re: Captain Marvel MCU

Post by M4C8 »

It looked good but it didn't give me the childlike 'I can't wait' feeling of excitement I've had with most of the other MCU movies.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
bsdigitalq

Post by bsdigitalq »

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

It looks okay. Not game changing, but with the MCU's track record it'll probably be decent.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Brie Larson has no charisma. Her voice isn't going to inspire or intimidate or command anyone. Her physical presence goes from "vulnerable" at worst, to "bored" at best. I'm worried that "powerhouse" isn't really in her acting range.

The MCU hasn't really had a complete failure yet, but seeing them reach so hard is worrying, because there will probably be a first time, and they'll be more willing to take stupid risks this time, because they've already readied the Diversity Defense. Considering that this is the same company that brought us modern Star Wars, you know they aren't hesitant to use it at the first hint of failure.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Aaaaand BriarThrone is faster on the draw than I am.

At least the trailer's song was cool...
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

BriarThrone wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:45 am Brie Larson has no charisma.
Yeah, that was my big takeaway from the film. Unless she's suppose to be acting robotic because she's disconnected from her memories and she regains some of her emotions over the film, the Carol Danvers we see in the trailer has all the charisma of a brick.

I'm looking forward to the movie, getting to see the Kree and the Skrulls, a young Nick Fury, the possibility of bringing in Monica Rambeaux as a superhero, what Mar-Vehl will be like, and how this will all tie-in to the fallout of Infinity War. But right now, we're in a situation where Carol Danvers looks to be the least compelling part of the a Captain Marvel film, which isn't a good sign. Marvel obviously wants this to be their Wonder Woman, but there might have been a serious casting error in the lead.

All of that said, this is just a teaser trailer and we don't know how accurate this will be to her performance in the movie.

That they decided to go ahead and give her that stupid mohawk mask is something else I'm not a fan of. And supposedly some of the creative team have said she's going to be the most powerful hero in the MCU, which is . . . very weird to hear. I've got no problem with Carol being as powerful as big guns like Thor and the Hulk. I'd actually prefer her being at that level. But MORE powerful than them? Yeah no. That and the "Future is Female" stuff makes me wonder if this isn't going to be the Girlbusters film all over again.

We'll just have to wait and see.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

The trailer fell flat for me on two points. As said I don't feel connected to Csrol and the lack of emotion that is being portrayed by Brie. The idea of the Kree/Skrull conflict is exciting. On whether she is more powerful than the Avengers big guns is worrisome due to the fact as WHY?
If it is due to how she uses and how wide ranging her energy powers work, fine. If it is due to a political point , leave it out of the movie and tlet the character and her development speak for itself. We have 40 years of history with her and a dynamic space adventure can be done to great success (Guardians of the Galaxy) less real world drama and more escapism for me please.
MorganBravestone

Post by MorganBravestone »

I am incredibly super-excited about the Captain Marvel film! I'm only disappointed that we *still* don't have a Black Widow solo movie yet. Seriously, Marvel, I'm glad that you've finally noticed that we want solo female super-hero films, but WHERE THE HELL IS MY BLACK WIDOW SOLO MOVIE!?
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

It's called Red Sparrow, Morgan. :P
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

so...new trailer....go
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

I guess this count for both franchises ;)
48328461_2004646989836028_3697949305504530432_o.jpg
48328461_2004646989836028_3697949305504530432_o.jpg (97.02 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

HalloweenJack wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:59 pm so...new trailer....go
We all wish it would.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Woodclaw wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:37 am I guess this count for both franchises ;)

While Levi's outfit looks better than the Nu-52 version, I still cringe a little whenever I see it. Similarly, Larson's outfit is just too busy for my tastes. Both of them just scream "trying too hard".

Maybe I'm just old, maybe reading comic books gives me a skewed sense of what works and what doesn't, but I'd still take this outfit over either of the above:

https://i.pinimg.com/474x/9c/de/ed/9cde ... movies.jpg
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

BriarThrone wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:40 am
HalloweenJack wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:59 pm so...new trailer....go
We all wish it would.
details?