Captain Marvel MCU

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Arkrite

Re: Captain Marvel MCU

Post by Arkrite »

It's a good start, but I'll be interesting to see how the next couple of days go.

So far all the reviews I've see tend to say the same thing:

-Samuel L. Jackson is a high point, the bad guy is well cast, cat can be amusing (largely due to Samuel L. Jackson)
-The character of Ms Marvel starts with some potential to be an interesting character and gets more dull the longer it goes, and is largely viewed as being the least interesting character of the movie
-Movie isn't bad, but it's also not great, but it drags a bit and is a bit dull in sections. Most people tend to think of it like the earliest MCU movies.

Largely what I hear is "It's... okay. Wonder Woman was better."

I'm curious to see how reviews affect the movie going forward. I've seen a couple superhero movies that started extremely strong and came almost to a screeching halt.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Honestly, I would say that this is the Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD movie, as much as it's the Captain Marvel movie -- in fact, Carol is never referred to by that name at any point.

The film's most clever bit is one that takes the expectations of its Marvel Comics-savvy audience and then completely subverts them, while at the same time including signs that telegraph that's exactly what it's going to do.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

I've heard reports of empty theaters, and now I'm reading about record-breaking ticket sales. That's odd.

Regardless, if this movie can be interpreted as a success for Marvel, then Marvel will continue making this kind of product. Therefore, I'm out. I'm done.
Shock

Post by Shock »

What type of product? Superhero movies? What about this movie is so objectionable that makes it so that you don't want to see further movies of a type you enjoy?
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Shock wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:27 pm What type of product? Superhero movies? What about this movie is so objectionable that makes it so that you don't want to see further movies of a type you enjoy?
The whole right-wing backlash is honestly outright perplexing to me.

The film is pretty damn mild in terms of its supposed 'feminist' attitudes, and its trailers can be so easily mistaken for military recruitment videos that the American military is literally using the film as a vehicle for playing multiple recruitment adverts amongst its trailers. It's got a pretty white woman doing the superhero thing, and people are acting like she's gonna spending the entire movie draped in a gay pride flag and reading out from Das Kapital with her foot on the throat of a random white dude.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Shock wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:27 pm What type of product? Superhero movies? What about this movie is so objectionable that makes it so that you don't want to see further movies of a type you enjoy?
BAD movies. Unimaginative, formulaic movies. Movies full of plot holes. Boring movies that drag. Movies featuring poorly cast actors who don't have the charisma or acting range for the role. Movies that reduce established, beloved characters to a joke. Movies that disrespect the source material.

And yeah, movies where the lead talks about excluding people to be inclusive through the whole marketing. Movies marketed by focusing on the lead's race or gender, not anything that matters. Movies that don't HAVE to succeed on merit, because anyone who isn't beside themselves with joy in giving their money to Disney is a bigot troll.

Wonder Woman was a pretty good movie. A proper Black Widow movie would be great. Captain Marvel... COULD have been a good movie. It would have been difficult, because the character isn't much in comics, but they did it with Guardians of the Galaxy. They didn't even try, though. They made a lacklustre effort, and deployed the Diversity Defense.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Scots Dragon wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:49 pmThe whole right-wing backlash is honestly outright perplexing to me.

The film is pretty damn mild in terms of its supposed 'feminist' attitudes, and its trailers can be so easily mistaken for military recruitment videos that the American military is literally using the film as a vehicle for playing multiple recruitment adverts amongst its trailers. It's got a pretty white woman doing the superhero thing, and people are acting like she's gonna spending the entire movie draped in a gay pride flag and reading out from Das Kapital with her foot on the throat of a random white dude.
I think the big issue is that so many people had judged the film good or bad before release. And people drew battle lines and polarized.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

So did a little digging on RT

Avengers Infinity war Audience score from 53k reviews for its entire run

Captain Marvel 46k reviews in its opening weekend

Somethings rotten in Denmark and I don't think its the movie
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Shock

Post by Shock »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:29 pm
Scots Dragon wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:49 pmThe whole right-wing backlash is honestly outright perplexing to me.

I think the big issue is that so many people had judged the film good or bad before release. And people drew battle lines and polarized.
I honestly just want to know if anyone has criticisms based on seeing the movie rather than marketing or politics
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Shock wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:10 pm I honestly just want to know if anyone has criticisms based on seeing the movie rather than marketing or politics
Arkrite relayed a few a couple posts up. I think that Davies might have the right of it, though, that this is more of a Nick Fury movie in a lot of ways.

That said, I haven't seen it yet, and might not get a chance to see it while in theaters.
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

catsi563 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:58 pm So did a little digging on RT

It got review bombed before it was even out
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Be seeing it on Tuesday so Ill know soon enough.

Currently its up to 455 millions world wide making it one of the top openers in moviedom
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Scots Dragon wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:09 pm It got review bombed before it was even out
If you believe the rumors there's a bit of that going on in both directions.
Unfortunately all I can find is rumors for both sides so, who knows?

I guess the telling thing will be in a few years if the movie still has a strong following.

FuzzyBoots wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:29 pm I think the big issue is that so many people had judged the film good or bad before release. And people drew battle lines and polarized.
It really doesn't help that the main actress was a sparking point for that.
And... okay, honest truth time? I've never been a Ms Marvel fan so I wasn't interested to begin with. The trailers didn't catch my attention.
But had I been interested I'm pretty sure the main actress would have put me off of it.

But the biggest problem isn't the lead actress, or her politics, it's that she's walking around claiming that this is a movie with a "Strong Female Protagonist".

And, thanks to my experiences watching movies with those claims, that's my cue to walk away.

Not because I have issues with a strong female protagonist, but because nobody these days seems to know how to make one anymore.
Sarah Conner (T2), Ripley (Alien(s)), Kitara (Avata: TAB) are three characters that pop to mind immediately that I would enjoy watching more of. (I can list more if it's an issue)
They have strengths, weaknesses, and through how they handles those two things they have personality.

The recent trend of "Strong Female Protagonist" has this incredibly negative aspect where the writers are seemingly terrified of letting their "Strong Female Protagonist" have any weaknesses.
It's kind of like the minority friend character in eighties cartoons. They were there, they had no flaws, due to this they had no personality and they weren't interesting because of it.

There are lots of male characters like that. In the movie Commando you have a lead character who's name I can barely remember (Matrix?), who's whole personality was "I'm Arnold".
That movie succeeded largely because it was an action movie, people came for the explosions, the fight sequences, and the goofy one liners.
I have never heard anybody say that they wished there had been a continuation of the series to continue the story or to follow the main character.

John McClaine, on the other hand? I liked him.

My biggest concern was that they're introducing a character, late in the game, to show up and be the strongest character in the setting not because it's like that in the comics, or because it makes for a good story, but because they want to make a political statement.

And political statements very rarely make great and entertaining movies in my opinion.

That's why I wasn't interested. That's my opinion.

But, like I said, reviews so far (even from people who were hoping to be able to rip this movie a new one) are that it's okay.
Not terrible, not great. Okay.

I hope little girls enjoy it. I hope everybody enjoys it.
I hope it's actually good and my opinions are invalid. Because as much as I would love to see Brie Larson eat crow, well, she won't. She'll move on to her next million dollar acting gig, the studio execs will make their money shake their head and say women characters don't make money, and I'll be out the possibility of some superheroine movies that would have been awesome.

*shrug*
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Scots Dragon wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:09 pm
catsi563 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:58 pm So did a little digging on RT

It got review bombed before it was even out
The media did a bad job. They called it "review bombing" when there were no reviews. People were just using the "Not Interested In Seeing This Movie" function on the site as intended. There is no evidence of brigading. Just a lot of people making the decision Disney didn't want them to make.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

BriarThrone wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:04 pm The media did a bad job. They called it "review bombing" when there were no reviews. People were just using the "Not Interested In Seeing This Movie" function on the site as intended. There is no evidence of brigading. Just a lot of people making the decision Disney didn't want them to make.
Eh, if you can find screenshots on that, that would be useful. Everything I've seen so far is showing people both clicking the checkmark saying they don't plan to see it and leaving nasty "reviews". Of course, that's no longer an option. You simply indicate that you don't plan to see it, that you plan to see it, or you review it. That makes sense to me.

And, of course, this is emblematic of the problem. You get a lot of tales passed along, and it gets tricky to separate the initial reports from breathless reports that there's "review bombing" or "review suppression" or "astro-turfing". I was recently reading a good NPR article about how we're having the same issue with politics and extremists in voting talking only about "widespread voter suppression" or "massive fraud" when the reality lies much more in the middle, that both are relatively minor issues.