"There Can Be Only One Anime"

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Jabroniville

"There Can Be Only One Anime"

Post by Jabroniville »

I only heard this statement in the past month or so, and it made me realize that... yeah, there really DOES only ever seem to be one big anime at a time.

I noticed it mainly because a couple of years ago, Attack on Titan was being pimped everywhere I looked. EVERYONE was talking about it. And I just suddenly realized while everyone was going nuts over My Hero Academia... that nobody was talking about Eren and the Colossal Titan and whoever. I realized that Attack on Titan had been completely replaced in the American zeitgeist of anime by something else.

And I sorta realized (and this was confirmed by more serious anime fans later) that One Punch Man had been the thing that actually replaced Titan. And that it itself had been replaced by MHA.

Mentioning this elsewhere, people brought up that this was already a meme, "because Code Geass killed Fullmetal Alchemist".

I wonder how long this has gone on for. I know anime in the west is very fad-based, with Bleach temporarily being a huge thing until the infamous "Fall of Bleach" came about. Because of the slightly more limited nature of manga & anime being released here, I imagine it's more pronounced. When I actually went to Japan, there was a fair bit of stuff being hyped, but BY FAR the most hype actually went to Sailor Moon, One Piece and Dragon Ball Z, with any one of the three being more popular than every other anime combined, at least in terms of stuff I saw everywhere.

Any thoughts? When did all of you notice this being a thing?
MacynSnow

Re: "There Can Be Only One Anime"

Post by MacynSnow »

I actually noticed it around the time of the Original Toonami block on Cartoon Network.If you pay attention to the original line-up,you'll notice the first 3 on the list had medium ,though consistent, Ratings over in Japan.The last 2-3 on the run were alway niche shows(Cowboy Bebop,etc.) with the last one on the Block being an overly hyped show that was big at the time.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Loved me Trigun, Bebop, and Naruto back then.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

This must be why One Punch Man gets hate. People jealous that it is the Flavor of the Month, and their favorite isn't. OPM is amazing.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Part of the issue may be that some times theres a large lag between seasons OPMs 2nd season is only just coming out so theres a lot of hype but AOTs finally on its third

MHA has 3 seasons under its belt and a fourth if I recall out or out soon
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

BriarThrone wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:39 am This must be why One Punch Man gets hate. People jealous that it is the Flavor of the Month, and their favorite isn't. OPM is amazing.
Who could hate OPM?! I freaking love that show.
Formerly luketheduke86
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

L-Space wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:30 pm
BriarThrone wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:39 am This must be why One Punch Man gets hate. People jealous that it is the Flavor of the Month, and their favorite isn't. OPM is amazing.
Who could hate OPM?! I freaking love that show.
Love OPM. Cannot wait for Season 2. If there must be only one anime, it shall The One.

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum