Avengers End Game

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Voltron64

Re: Avengers End Game

Post by Voltron64 » Fri May 10, 2019 11:38 pm

In all honesty, I want to see the movie where Steve Rogers went to his alternate timeline to settle down with Peggy... and it lasted about ten minutes before he’d accidentally founded the 1950s Avengers/Agents of Atlas.

And by accidentally, I mean as he really meant to live quietly, but just couldn’t help himself.

First he gets Howard started on the idea of a suit of armor, then he rescues Bucky, then they find out the Feds have a guy locked us that says he’s from Uranus, and a fish lady, and a woman that thinks she’s Venus...

And let's not get started on the talking gorilla...

And as soon as a big disaster happens, Peggy tells him to call them.

RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE » Sat May 11, 2019 12:11 am

For me it was a mixed bag, I loved some of the humor but could not take the tanking of Thor and The Hulk. They diminished their characters so much. Almost in my opinion to wreck them for any further movies.
I would have not had a problem with Scarlet Witch doing the finishing blow on Thanos. It would have worked for me.

I for some reason cannot get behind Captain Marvel, I thing Spider-Man should be the face of the future MCU. I would love to know what Captain America did in his life, there is no way he lead a quiet life. His very core is to help.
My 2 cents worth. Have a great day everyone.

M4C8

Post by M4C8 » Sat May 11, 2019 3:07 am

Overall I enjoyed the movie and for me it didn't really drag at any point which is impressive given it's run time.
While obviously I'd prefer Iron Man, Captain America and Black Widow to be in future movies I can understand why those character stories came to the end.

Here's what I didn't like...
1) Hulk not getting his rematch with Thanos and doing almost nothing physical during the entire movie, apparently his arm is now going to be permanently damaged as well. There was no real reason I could see for the Hulk to be in the movie, everything he did could've been done by other characters, why use a character such as the Hulk, known for being an almost unstoppable force of nature and relegate him to a weak background character, it makes no sense to me.

2) Thor, again he really didn't do much at all and while I usually love the humour in the MCU to make such as grandiose honourable legendary warrior a slapstick character (which began in Ragnarok) is frankly ridiculous. What's really annoying is that the directors actually gave us a glimpse of his potential power levels during the big final battle in Infinity war but for some reason he (like Hulk) showed almost nothing of the power/skill level we know he should have, I don't think he was even shown flying once. I actually don't mind the idea of him joining the Guardians so long as he gets some comic level respect in the future (though I'm not sure how much longer Hemsworth can play him given that the character is not supposed to visibly age)

3) The A-Force scene :roll: and Captain Mary-Sue destroying Thanos ship by herself.

4) Valkyrie as Queen of Asgard? really? I mean I know there was a five year gap but the last we saw of her she'd spent who knows how long as a slaver selling people into gladiatorial combat. As a character she hasn't really earned such a potentially powerful role in the narrative.
Also where was Sif? surely she'd be the better choice.

5) Falcon-Cap? nah for me Bucky is the right choice, he's a far better fighter, he's an actual super soldier with enhanced physical abilities (which also allows him to properly use the shield as Steve does) and he's been a part of the Cap story from the very beginning (Also, thinking about it on a purely practical level, given the way Falcon operates using his wings during flight and combat I'm pretty sure the shield would just get in the way). Sam chose the Falcon identity, it's who he is and it's his own. Bucky on the other hand didn't choose be the Winter Soldier it's an identity that was forced upon him (I assume he didn't choose the name 'White Wolf' either)
I would've actually liked to see the classic Captain America and Falcon partnership on screen even if it wasn't Steve as Cap.

6) I thought it was weird how Thanos stood up to the combined might of Iron Man, Thor and a Mjolnir powered Cap without taking any noticeable damage, especially so since Tony alone drew blood in the previous film.

As for the future of the MCU, well I'm not massively excited to be honest, the new 'faces' of the MCU (Cap Marvel, Black Panther) are the characters I find the least interesting, the BP movie was for me the most mediocre of the whole franchise (I haven't actually seen CM yet) and though Spider-Man: Homecoming wasn't a bad movie I just found it hugely underwhelming (despite loving the character in Civil War).

I'm hoping 'Spider-Man: Far From Home' will be more in line with the majority of the other MCU movies.
Oh and could we have at least some characters in the MCU who haven't seen Spider-Man without his mask or been within earshot when he's told someone his real name, that would be great ;)

Corrigon

Post by Corrigon » Sat May 11, 2019 2:10 pm

Considering the number of scenes with just men and the initial dash with the gauntlet was by men, having a moment to go hey, we know we killed Black Widow, but look at who we do have.

I liked that moment, they did something, but the winning moment was not them. They did have a good showing but the focus was on the core three.

Hulk being the one to reverse the Snap actually makes sense. Previously, he had been the rage driven fighting machine, but now he was the one to bring everyone back. It portrays an evolution in his behaviour.

Shock

Post by Shock » Sat May 11, 2019 4:01 pm

I haven't seen it yet but if you're counting the number of men and women in every scene looking for some slight against one group or another, I'm pretty sure you're missing the point.

M4C8

Post by M4C8 » Sat May 11, 2019 4:18 pm

Shock wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:01 pm
I haven't seen it yet but if you're counting the number of men and women in every scene looking for some slight against one group or another, I'm pretty sure you're missing the point.
That's exactly what I thought after Infinity War was released, there were people that accused the movie of being racist because a higher percentage of black characters were killed. The fact that they even took the time to count instead of just enjoying the movie says volumes about their mental state.
Some also complained because Okoyo was not being explicitly confirmed as gay. Now because of a tiny minority of crusading idiots we've already began to get unnecessary virtue signalling about gay characters, we're going to end up with characters who's entire characterisation is that they're gay instead of great characters who just happen to be so.

Corrigon

Post by Corrigon » Sat May 11, 2019 6:01 pm

As long as characters end up as good characters who also happen to be gay, ethnic, etc. that'll be fine. Since they are using Marvel characters who tend not to be one dimensional, should not be a problem.

Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady » Tue May 14, 2019 8:56 pm

Corrigon wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:01 pm
As long as characters end up as good characters who also happen to be gay, ethnic, etc. that'll be fine. Since they are using Marvel characters who tend not to be one dimensional, should not be a problem.
You haven't read the recent Marvel comics, then. The ones that have been constantly rebooted.