Modern Comics & Relationships Between Heroes

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
Beleriphon

Re: Modern Comics & Relationships Between Heroes

Post by Beleriphon »

On relationships.... since I'm sad, so very sad.... Batman, Catwoman.... you know how this goes.

I wish there hadn't been such a huge lead up, then I wouldn't feel so defeated. I read Batman #50 and I can't fault the reasoning because I know there's more to the story than we've immediately seen. But still, having read the entire run since Rebirth started until last night over the course of two days I perhaps became overly invested.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Hey Beleriphon! Welcome back! I think I remember seeing you a lot back in the day on ATT and Ronin Army. Unless that was a different person :).

These Quickie Relationships are getting rather old, and the whole "The Bat-Family must ALWAYS be miserable!" edict still being a thing is also pretty terrible. Never mind that it ruined Batwoman and made DC Editorial look like fools in public.
Beleriphon

Post by Beleriphon »

Jabroniville wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:42 pm Hey Beleriphon! Welcome back! I think I remember seeing you a lot back in the day on ATT and Ronin Army. Unless that was a different person :).
Totally the same person.
These Quickie Relationships are getting rather old, and the whole "The Bat-Family must ALWAYS be miserable!" edict still being a thing is also pretty terrible. Never mind that it ruined Batwoman and made DC Editorial look like fools in public.
I'm really hoping that the current story for Batman and Catwoman isn't over yet, I don't think it is by a long shot given the last page in Batman #50 is Bane gloating to his goons over "breaking the Bat" again.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

It's Tom King. He's got this weird fetish with Angelic women and Worthless men.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

And having read some A+X and Uncanny Avengers, its amazing how quick these one true pairings.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew »

Since Ares cast "raise dead" on this thread, i'll give my 2 cents worth.

The most annoying trend in comic book relationships isn't the sexual ones, it's that annoying trend writers have in which they over compensate for the fact that women don't really get along with each other in the real world, so they write every single female character like they are "oh em gee, best friends forever, you go girl."

It's really noticeable with teenage girl characters.

It's like magnetic lesbianism for straight white teenage girls. Put two female characters of roughly the same age in a room together in a comic book & 3 panels later, for no apparent reason it's like they've been best friends since the day they were born.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

I, too, find it strange and alarming when female characters like each other. Especially when they're the same age and have things in common. It's unnatural!
Cinder

Post by Cinder »

I was reading through the complete Civil War the other day and the relationship between Storm and Black Panther seemed so forced. I had heard about it before and reserved judgement, but reading it confirmed. I looked into whether the idea of putting two minorities was as contrived and tired as I thought, and yep there is a TV trope for it. Look at the quote from the writer of BP in the examples. At least he was up front about it.
saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew »

Cinder wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:33 amI was reading through the complete Civil War the other day and the relationship between Storm and Black Panther seemed so forced.
Didn't they do something similar in Civil war 2, where they invented a relationship between Carol & Warmachine, just to give it faux gravity when they killed him off?

Lazy, lazy writing.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

saint_matthew wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:39 am Since Ares cast "raise dead" on this thread, i'll give my 2 cents worth.

The most annoying trend in comic book relationships isn't the sexual ones, it's that annoying trend writers have in which they over compensate for the fact that women don't really get along with each other in the real world, so they write every single female character like they are "oh em gee, best friends forever, you go girl."

It's really noticeable with teenage girl characters.

It's like magnetic lesbianism for straight white teenage girls. Put two female characters of roughly the same age in a room together in a comic book & 3 panels later, for no apparent reason it's like they've been best friends since the day they were born.
LOL- I mean, yes, every man has noticed that trend, and most honest women admit that it's a real thing, but not EVERY woman "doesn't get along" with each other.

But yeah, they do kind of have everyone be diehard friends immediately. That was a criticism of the Suicide Squad movie, too, where they're declaring that the group is a "Family" after like an hour's work. That one wasn't a gendered issue, though.
saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:19 pm That was a criticism of the Suicide Squad movie, too, where they're declaring that the group is a "Family" after like an hour's work. That one wasn't a gendered issue, though.
Similar issue that the Mighty Morphin' Shazaming Rangers had, but in it's case the movie straight up had characters declare "family is important" & "we are a family" once every 8 seconds, just in case you forgot.

Modern movie writers, please learn the difference between subtext & exposition.... They are not the same thing.