Modern Comics & Relationships Between Heroes

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
M4C8

Re: Modern Comics & Relationships Between Heroes

Post by M4C8 »

POTENTIAL X-MEN COMICS SPOILER:

Gambit proposes to Rogue at Pete and Kitty's wedding.
They're getting an ongoing series called 'Mr. and Mrs. X'
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

M4C8 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:59 pm POTENTIAL X-MEN COMICS SPOILER:

Well, I'm glad they finally decided to marry Peter and Kitty after all of this time. It got really stupid after a while with Kitty dating random characters, like frickin Star Lord of all people. Meanwhile poor Colossus was forced to break up with her thanks to Jim Shooter and has basically been perpetually single / moping about Kitty anytime he wasn't in a relationship with her.

Though this makes me wonder how old Kitty is suppose to be at this point. As someone who was introduced in her mid-teens, I'm guessing she's in her early 20's at this point?
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ares wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:15 pm

Well, I'm glad they finally decided to marry Peter and Kitty after all of this time. It got really stupid after a while with Kitty dating random characters, like frickin Star Lord of all people. Meanwhile poor Colossus was forced to break up with her thanks to Jim Shooter and has basically been perpetually single / moping about Kitty anytime he wasn't in a relationship with her.

Though this makes me wonder how old Kitty is suppose to be at this point. As someone who was introduced in her mid-teens, I'm guessing she's in her early 20's at this point?
Around that,at least.You also gotta think: she was 15(?) when she got kidnapped(i don't care what anyone else says,what that Hypocritical SOB the Professor did to get her was Kidnapping/brainwashing,plain and simple) and Pete was in his late-late teens/really early 20's...
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

MacynSnow wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:50 pm

Around that,at least.You also gotta think: she was 15(?) when she got kidnapped(i don't care what anyone else says,what that Hypocritical SOB the Professor did to get her was Kidnapping/brainwashing,plain and simple) and Pete was in his late-late teens/really early 20's...
Technically the Professor didn't do anything. From what I recall, the Professor, Storm, Wolverine and Colossus went over to talk to the Pryde family, right as Emma Frost is leaving, having just made her sales pitch. Then Emma has her crew attack the X-Men to capture them, with Kitty escaping to get the message to the X-Men. After that, it's Jean that uses her psychic power on Kitty's parents to smooth things over, which was actually an indication of her losing control of herself. The Professor was surprised when Kitty's dad became friendly towards him mid-sentence.

So the one that did the kidnapping was Emma, and the one that did the brainwashing was Jean. Unless you're referencing something else.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Ares wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:00 pm

Technically the Professor didn't do anything. From what I recall, the Professor, Storm, Wolverine and Colossus went over to talk to the Pryde family, right as Emma Frost is leaving, having just made her sales pitch. Then Emma has her crew attack the X-Men to capture them, with Kitty escaping to get the message to the X-Men. After that, it's Jean that uses her psychic power on Kitty's parents to smooth things over, which was actually an indication of her losing control of herself. The Professor was surprised when Kitty's dad became friendly towards him mid-sentence.

So the one that did the kidnapping was Emma, and the one that did the brainwashing was Jean. Unless you're referencing something else.
I thought it was Charles that did the brainwashing,i withdraw my complaint against him then.He's still a big Hypocrite in my book,but.....
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I have a hazy memory of Kitty and Piotr having a heart to heart conversation on Breakworld where Kitty specifically says her age. I can’t find any scans of that panel online, just a bunch of scans of the scene later on when they knock unstable molecule boots.
Last edited by Batgirl III on Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:04 pm Image
That's the rule for any authority figure these days right? Nobody in charge could possibly have good intentions.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

I have a hazy memory of Kitty and Piotr having a heart to heart conversation on Breakworld where Kitty specifically says her age. I can’t find any scans of that panel online, just a bunch of scans of the scene later on when they knock unstable molecule boots.
I think that it one of those "silently edited" panels that were phased out of later reprints, just like the one that established that Ororo was born in 1951.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

According to MarvelDatabase.com, roughly twelve years have past since she first met the X-Men making her 25 years old now.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Kitty Pryde was 13 years old when she debuted. She had her 15th birthday during the early Excalibur run - the Evil Saturnyne took her out for her birthday, even. Piotr, btw, was about 18 when Kitty first showed up, and the age difference between them was the primary argument against them becoming a couple at the time.

So I was a bit stunned when only a few years (real time) later, during Warren Ellis' run, Kitty and Pete Wisdom started banging. Apparently Ellis just aged her up to 18 (at least) and she's graduated to mid-20s by now. That mini-series that Claremont did in the early oughts had her in college, for example.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Shock wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:13 pm
That's the rule for any authority figure these days right? Nobody in charge could possibly have good intentions.
Well, that comic panel is from the 80s, but yeah. Geoff Johns especially hates authority figures for his heroes. Guardians of the Universe? Nabu? Shazam? All of them some flavor of evil or incompetent and in need of being replaced.

I much prefer a Prof. X who did occasionally sketchy things early on, but learned his lessons and regretted them, and was dedicated to never abusing his powers or station. The constant "Prof. X did THIS" type of revelations just needlessly pollute the backstory of a man who was suppose to be the Martin Luther King of Mutants.

Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Lately, there's been a rash of what I'm starting to call "magnetic lesbianism". Most of the 'new' relationships in most Marvel books have two women who are/might be gay, look at each other and suddenly, they're in a relationship, with very little preamble or even flirting.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Chris Brady wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:28 am Lately, there's been a rash of what I'm starting to call "magnetic lesbianism". Most of the 'new' relationships in most Marvel books have two women who are/might be gay, look at each other and suddenly, they're in a relationship, with very little preamble or even flirting.
That might have been realistic twenty-ish years ago. Back when gays and lesbians were more commonly closeted or at least a lot less open, it wasn’t uncommon for lesbians to spend weeks or months sending each other signals; You needed to figure out “Is this woman into women?” “Is this woman available?” “Is this woman into me?” “Is now the right time to make a move?”

Gay men often went through the same thing, but due to the minority of very promiscuous gay men who were much more visible — gay bars, gay clubs, and gay bathhouses were (in)famous for being “hookup” spots — so this never became a trope associated with them.

As a result, it often seemed like two lesbians went from acquaintances to lovers overnight; but gay men seemed to hop from bed to bed. Even other people in the LGBT community noticed it. Two common jokes of the period:

“What does a lesbian bring on a second date?”
“A U-Haul!”

“What does a gay guy bring on a second date?”
“What’s a second date?”
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Even some more mainstream stuff picked up on the thing with girls, like in Archer:

"He wanted you to MOVE IN already!? What are you- LESBIANS??!"
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Actual conversation between me and my then girlfriend (now second husband):

“What do bisexuals bring on a second date?”

“What’s a bisexual?”