Macyn's Public Library

The place to talk about your favorite novels, comic books and web comics.
MacynSnow

Macyn's Public Library

Post by MacynSnow »

All the talk about Anne Of Green Gables recently got me back into my 'classic' book reading hobby.So,i thought i'd share what i'm currently going through and would like hear what the rest of you book nerds/geeks are reading.Only rule is that it has to be an actual book(Comic Books and Trade Paperbacks have their own section,durn it!).

Currently i've started re-reading my Edgar Rice Burrogh Tarzan books,starting with Tarzan of The Apes.There not that large(i only own the paperback version's),but their really good reads,with the characters ciming across as actual human being's.Tarzan himself is a bit of a tool when he first meets Jane's Father,Jane herself is a Grade-A Biatch when you first meet her on the boat and part of me wants to punch Tarzan's cousin Cecil for being such an Idiot....
Nunya B

Re: Macyn's Public Library

Post by Nunya B »

Currently rereading Good Luck Yukikaze by Chohei Kambayashi. I dearly love the way the book highlights and explores the issues of communication between mutually alien existences and does so in a remarkably neutral light. It's not made to be a matter of good or bad, just a matter of different and of friend or enemy. I am very disappointed that they never translated the third book in the trilogy.

After this I plan to read The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors. It's a book about my favorite ship and I somehow haven't gotten around to reading the copy I have.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Currently trying the steal enough hours in the day to finish Jordan Peterson’s 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos. I’m a little over halfway through but am stymied by work and family commitments. Ward Farnsworth’s The Practicing Stoic: A Philosophical User’s Manual is next in the stack.

For anyone looking for lighter fare, I highly recommend the Honor Harrington series of novels by David Weber. Top notch military sci-fi that manages the rare feat of telling a story of space opera scope within a strictly hard science fiction milieu. As a bonus incentive to you, let me also point out that Weber and his publisher Baen Books make them all available for free online.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:03 am Currently trying the steal enough hours in the day to finish Jordan Peterson’s 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos. I’m a little over halfway through but am stymied by work and family commitments. Ward Farnsworth’s The Practicing Stoic: A Philosophical User’s Manual is next in the stack.

For anyone looking for lighter fare, I highly recommend the Honor Harrington series of novels by David Weber. Top notch military sci-fi that manages the rare feat of telling a story of space opera scope within a strictly hard science fiction milieu. As a bonus incentive to you, let me also point out that Weber and his publisher Baen Books make them all available for free online.
You got me into reading Honor Harrington's novel years ago when you posted your first build of her (it was still 2e I believe). While I enjoyed most of them, I think there are a few problems that must be addressed. True to the tradition of maritime novels that inspired Weber (e.g. the Captain Hornblower series), the main character is extremely, almost supernaturally, skilled. This has, of course led, to many accusations of marysue-ism, which are not completely undeserved but, for once, it's not a bad thing. Honor does a number of completely crazy things over the years and she pays the price, although sometimes it feels like she bounce back way too easy from some of them.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Yeah, I feel the series kinda lost steam in the later books... especially once she’s promoted to such high rank she’s a full two pay grades above God Almighty. But the first half-dozen or so are a thrilling ride.

And, hey, they’re free.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Now that i finished all my Tarzan books,i've gotten into Reading The Captain Blood series of books by Rafael Sabatini.It's a slightly Dry writing style,but i survived reading Stephen King books in High School,so i'm fine with it.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Currently reading a Fanfiction that caught my eye called Sherlock Holmes and The Seventh Safeguard by Charlotte Ann Kent .It's a very good Holmes/Harry Potter cross that i highly recommend...
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

I just started reading the John Carter of Mars series for the first time. I've known about it for a while, but never seemed to get around to it. About 14 chapters in and I've been enjoying it quite a bit.
Formerly luketheduke86
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I perfer Flash Gordon over John Carter myself,but the series ain't too bad.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

I'm currently reading in parallel Dire Worm! and the original Worm. Both are free (although Dire Worm! is unfinished thanks to the author moving most of his efforts to releasing standalone novels of the character).

Fair warning, Worm is a very good piece of superhero fiction, but also a fairly depressing one at times. It's a world with the odds stacked against it.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Currently Reading Flash Gordon: Lion Men of Mongo by Alex Raymond.He's not that bad a writer given the year this was wrote.Tends to end his paragraph's wierdly,though.....